30 Nosler

A

Anonymous

Hmmm.... 30 Nosler... a 180AB at 3200fps or a 210ABLR at 3000fps.

Now I'm interested.

Kinda like some other stuff we already had .... sorta, ya know.

It'll be interesting to see how it fares.

True enough...very little under the sun in cartridge development. I'm thinking that 180AB at 3200 will make a very good all-arounder for what I hunt. Same could be said of the very similar 300RUM and 300WBY.

A sometimes hunting partner uses the .300RUM- it's a vicious killer. The .300WBY is fairly popular too. Same performance in a standard action won't be a bad thing in my book.

I'm not sure how it will fare either, but I wish it the best.

The advantage of the 30 Nosler over the 300 RUM is burning less powder hence, longer barrel life.

JD338

JD338":30h2r4qj said:
The advantage of the 30 Nosler over the 300 RUM is burning less powder hence, longer barrel life.

JD338

Yeah- I have to wonder with a lot of the big magnums in a hunting rifle though- who actually shoots these enough to burn out a barrel? I keep saying I'll rebarrel my .300WSM into .325 if I ever kill it off, but I doubt I ever will at the rate I use it- and I hunt a good deal more than the average guy.

I must confess- I've never seen a bad "modern" barrel in .30cal. I've seen a couple 22-250s that were fried, but it was high volume prairie dog shoots to blame.

Not to discount the legitimate barrel life concerns...but even a serious hunter might not shoot a single hunting rifle 500 times in their lifetime. Even Roy Weatherby was quoted as saying he'd never replaced the barrel on a .257WBY... and that's a pretty tough number on a tube.

If I were to shoot any of the big magnums a lot- I'm certain my shoulder, neck or wallet would go long before the barrel did! :grin:

I am a HUGE .30 Cal fan since childhood, still have 2 300WSMs. My 200 AB load at 2900 is stout enough for me and will do anything I need it to. I have the 26 and won't add a brother to it unless they get to .358. A 35 Nosler would be great but at the current rate of one a year I have 3 years to wait.

The 30 Nosler is pretty interesting. Seems like a touch shorter 300 Wby.

I kinda like it. I really don't need a 30 Nosler.

What is need?------- When there are wants.

FOTIS":2d9vf0si said:
Keeping my 300 Bee 180 AB at 3250 fps

That's about what I see is a beltless 300 Wby. Not a bad thing at all. Probably fits a little better in a 3.6" magazine as well with the longish 200+ grain bullets.

Back