Hornady GMX

huntnmachine

Beginner
Jun 4, 2016
I am considering using Hornady 165 g GMX in my 300 Win Mag this fall for moose, does anyone have any on game experience with them

My hunting partner used them in his 300 RCM for both deer and elk. They're deadly.

Like a Barnes, there will be penetration, and odds are you won't recover the bullet. That's OK, because 2 holes always bleed better than one. :grin:

A buddy of mine shot a small bull with his 300 win and a 150gmx. Seemed to work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Hunt Machine,
I do not have a 300 win, but I harvested a nice doe with a 165 gmx loaded with 55.0 grains, of IMR 4350 for my 30/06 Springfield. The doe was about 150 meters away and she did not run over 15 yards. In the 06 my OAL length is about 3.120. Thank God, tracking was not necessary
I have also load the GMX for my model 88 308 Winchester. I am runing 44.0 grains of R/L15 and 44.0 grains of Win 748. I am pleased with the accuracy of the GMX. I seat the bullet to 2.750 which is about .050 less than the SAMI specifications for the 308. I am sure you will be pleased with the results. I would call the company and ask about the oal for your caliber. I hope this helps.
Doni

Simply put, the bullet will do the job, if your rifle likes the projectile. I just did a ladder test to confirm my charges. Please keep in mind that the bullet maybe longer than most traditional bullets

I found the GMX to be very accurate as far as bullet performance goes.

Just make sure your impact velocity is 2,000 fps or greater. This may not make them the ideal longer range hunting bullet.

Vince

I use the 165 GMX in 308, 30/06 and the 140 grain version for my 30/30. The Gmx was redesigned and Hornady renamed it to the Controlled expanding (CX) bullet. The Company claims that the bullet is more accurate due to a change in the Ogive and can be used out to 400 or 500 yards. please keep in mind that approximately 2000 foot pounds of energy is needed for that projectile to expand.

I use the 165 GMX in 308, 30/06 and the 140 grain version for my 30/30. The Gmx was redesigned and Hornady renamed it to the Controlled expanding (CX) bullet. The Company claims that the bullet is more accurate due to a change in the Ogive and can be used out to 400 or 500 yards. please keep in mind that approximately 2000 foot pounds of energy is needed for that projectile to expand.
Did they say 2,000 foot pounds or feet per second?

The reason I ask is because I was told, “Over 2,000 feet per second to expand.”

That might have changed with the redesign.

Vince

Did they say 2,000 foot pounds or feet per second?

The reason I ask is because I was told, “Over 2,000 feet per second to expand.”

That might have changed with the redesign.

Vince
I think I screwed up. I believe you are right with 2000 feet per second. But that is probably more than 2000 foot pounds of energy. At a distance of 300 yards, one could probably harvest any game in North America with the venerable 06 and a well placed shot. A Hornady technician told me that the Gmx is capable of harvesting a moose within reasonable hunting distances. The literature from the company states that a 1500 pound animal can be taken with that bullet

Just my opinion but hornady will never get another penny from me. I used to shoot/load hundreds of their .17wsm and .22 cal bullets every year. Not anymore. They don't stand behind their products and they sent out a letter to all employees to either get vaccinated or be fired. I refuse to support a nazi like company.

Back