22 Nosler

shoothemoon2

Beginner
Mar 7, 2017
I just recently built (Assembled) an AR- 22 Nosler. 18" ar-stoner barrel w/rifle length gas port. After shooting 20 rounds of Nosler 77 grain match grade ammo I noticed heavy ejector smearing w/ a sharp burr. Cases were ejecting around 6ft. away at about 3 o'clock.
What should I be looking at to correct this problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is hard to say, but it could be the brass is a little soft or there are some sharp edges on your ejector that are imprinting the brass.

I don't know ARs. Full length gas port should not charge until the bullet passes the port. The Nosler 22 is hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know ARs. Full length gas port should not charge until the bullet passes the port. The Nosler 22 is hot
I think you matched it up ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, just built the exact rifle, it's not a huge issue and I get the same marks occasionally. The scuff marks are created because the ammo is loaded to near max load. I purchased 5 boxes of 22 Nosler 77 Match and one box out of the 5 made those marks. I have spent the past several weeks testing reloads and it's pretty easy to get scuff marks and ejector marks when getting near max loads.

Thanks 1Deplorable, that is good to know. I have not started reloading these yet. May I ask what brand powder you are using?

I think the 77 gr factory load is hot! The primers are flattened and the case head is all beat up. I have to take a small file to it so it fits my shell holder. The brass with my handloads fares alot better,primers look normal and not as much damage to the head.

hogginlong":nu5i6uha said:
I think the 77 gr factory load is hot! The primers are flattened and the case head is all beat up. I have to take a small file to it so it fits my shell holder. The brass with my handloads fares alot better,primers look normal and not as much damage to the head.

Thanks hogginlong. Which powder are you using?

Got to the range to shoot some factory 22Nosler ammo.
About 20 rounds of the 62gr and 25 of the 77gr.
The 77gr is definitely loaded hotter.

For comparison I got 2835fps for a ten shot average with IMI 77gr HPBT from a 22" .223 Wylde barrel,
and 3037fps avg from a 20" 22 Nosler. Accuracy was great (great for me).
P1220259_zpsuv6ow3yc.jpg

I got what appears to be shaved brass, from the sharp edge of the rim, floating around behind the case. I will probably chuck these up and put a little bevel on the base and do a little polishing of the extractor and ejector. I had the gas turned off and was single loading from a sled.
22NoslerCase_zpsnurwhl5s.jpg

Sectioned case with a hacksaw.

Heads up for a sale.
Midway has some 22N ammo on Clearance.
My past experience with their clearance ammo has been hit or miss.
22N 62gr old stock wit the sharp edges is my latest.
Chucked and beveled they are fine, just extra labor, but the price was right.

Now they have the 77grain CC, 70gr RDF, and 85gr RDF (this is what I bought). If you don't reload maybe a good deal.

The 77 is great for 100/200 yards but the B.C. is crap for midrange.

Back