Anyone used 85-grain Partition 243 Win ammo on elk?

MZ5

Beginner
Aug 28, 2017
Listed speed is pretty high. My BLR doesn't shoot it that fast, but curious as to whether your experience has been that the bullet will hold together out of this ammo on an elk. This ammo shoots quite well from this rifle, and I don't handload for it.

If the BLR goes with me, it'll be the back-up gun, but that doesn't mean I don't want it to work well if called upon.

:)

Welcome to the forum.
Although on the light side, I'm sure it would
work on cow and Spike elk at limited distance.
Shot placement is King.

JD338

JD338":21rgjoty said:
Welcome to the forum.
Although on the light side, I'm sure it would
work on cow and Spike elk at limited distance.
Shot placement is King.

JD338

Great advice. Pick your shot on a cow or a spike, keeping the distance within reason, and it will work. More mass would give a significant measure of confidence. Welcome to the forum.

If you have the time or can find them try the 100 gr version. I had a Browning BLR years and years ago, and used the Federal 100 gr. Nosler Partition ammo.

I did put it to good use on a big Northern Buck I stalked in the snow, and called in 25 feet away. I was a little hasty unloading the gun on that deer just to put it down. A quick final shot to the head did that. Back in those days in Michigan if the deer didn't go down and someone else did you more than likely lost your hard earned trophy.

Might not seem like much but the S.D. is a lot higher, and the extra weight will help keep the shank driving forward.

Side Note: After the first round hit him, he ran broadside to me at 10' away and he took the second round to the bridge of his nose and plowed into the snow! He still stood up, and took three more behind the shoulder! Needless to say that was a deer, and not an Elk. I found one bullet on the other side of his face, and the other on the off side shoulder, both were stopped by the far side skin. All five rounds from a 100 gr. Nosler Partition from a .243, any of the four to his boiler room would have killed him. There were other hunters around and I wasn't going to let someone else walk away with my deer, and hence why I kept him within mere feet of me.

While I agree to a point with JD338, I will add that the distance needs to be very limited ( say less than 100 yards max) and only on unwary animals broadside or slightly quartering away. And you best not hit any bone heavier than a rib (read shoulder) or you will have a wounded animal that is capable of travelling miles before you may find it or get another finishing shot.

While there have been very experienced hunters who have harvested elk with a 243, they had these self imposed limitations plus a 100 gr bullet.

While I have not harvested the same numbers of elk as those gentlemen, I have taken 24 over the years and I would suggest that a .264 caliber 140 gr bullet would be a better starting point for elk (spike or small cow), as the larger animals of this species are extremely hardy and tenacious of life. It will work well on deer.

The BLR is a great rifle, have fun with it!

Thanks, all, both for the input and the welcome.

I'll have a look around at heavier Nosler ammo options. This gun shoots some 95 and 100-grain ammo pretty well, too, but that's not Nosler ammo so I left it out, since this is the Nosler Ammunition sub-forum. :)

The BLR is nice and light, which is why I like to take it to the high country even if it's only a backup. Plus, it's essentially ambidextrous, being a lever. I received word yesterday that a different rifle is on its way back to me, so I may be taking 2 rifles in the same chambering, though neither is light like the BLR. I favor a 26-cal for most things these days, generally loaded with 140s for big game.

If it were me I'd prefer it was the 95 or 100 gr. Partition to be used on elk. I'd feel a bit more comfortable with it at least. I shot a spike bull with my 6mm Remington and 100 gr. Partition at about 3150 fps with the elk at 30 yards. I shot him right in the center of the right shoulder and the bullet exited the left side of his neck just in front of his left shoulder. He staggered a few steps and I place one more at the base of his ear. He was dead on his feet but I did not want him going down the slope any further than he was.

My son shot his first elk which was a large cow at 350 yards with his 6mm Remington and one 90 gr. Nosler E-tip! He hit her tight behind her right shoulder and the bullet EXITED her left shoulder dead center. She went about 20 yards and fell over. The 6mm or 243 will work but the good Nosler bullets help as will good shot placement.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a 95 grain Ballistic tip through an elks lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back