9.3x62

brianb

Beginner
Jul 1, 2018
Hi all, new here.

Curious as to your thoughts.

250 gr AB or 286 gr Partition in a 9.3x62? Right now, it'll be for feral hogs down here in Texas, but moose, caribou, elk, or nilgai next year. African PG hunt the year after.

Looks like AB won't get me but maybe 150-200 fps faster. With a NECG aperture, that doesn't seem like it'll get me very much that I won't get with the heavier Partition, especially inside 200 yards.

I use the 250 grain AB in my 9.3X64. It is more than enough for grizzly, moose, elk and anything smaller. There is nothing wrong with the 286 grain PT, and if your firing system likes that pill, I'd go for it. Either will work well for you, no doubt.

I ran some new loads yesterday through my 9.3x62. Load was the 285 grain prvi partisan roundnose with enough big game powder to hit 2500 fps. Mine is an old 98 mauser with XS ghost ring rear aperture. So I tend to stick with the heavies in this rifle, and use it as my deep timber gun. Unfortunately after eight rounds the old fajen stock split from the forearm all the way through the pistol grip. Now the search for a new stock.
2ebfe13ab1da540c6d77cd53b4adf5ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, fellas. I have a new Zastava large ring. I've been shooting Hornady cup-and-core 286 with 2000-MR, at about 2420 fps. Got some Partition on clearance from Midway. Going to give it a go with Big Game and Partitions.

There should be a hog hunt after it cools down a little, maybe late September or early October. I've got a couple months to work up a load.

The 286 gr Partition is the only bullet I shoot in my 9.3x62. Very impressive performance on moose

Cleveland48":31iuzgdo said:
I ran some new loads yesterday through my 9.3x62. Load was the 285 grain prvi partisan roundnose with enough big game powder to hit 2500 fps. Mine is an old 98 mauser with XS ghost ring rear aperture. So I tend to stick with the heavies in this rifle, and use it as my deep timber gun. Unfortunately after eight rounds the old fajen stock split from the forearm all the way through the pistol grip. Now the search for a new stock.
2ebfe13ab1da540c6d77cd53b4adf5ea.jpg

Dude, bummer!

How much Big Game were you using? I've got some load data from Western showing 2550 fps with 62 gr, but I've only got a 560 mm (22.something inches) on my Zastava, so I'm not expecting THAT kind of MV. But 1 MOA at 2450 fps will be just fine with me.

I had worked up to a max of 66 grains which is also from John Barnes loads. My average from a 22” barrel was 2497 I believe. That stock was very old to begin with. Someone had bedded it a long time ago, but it was starting to flake. Been meaning to re bed it, but too late now lol. I’m gonna drop back to 65 grains of big game though, which was around 2450-2460 in my rifle.

Back