Question on the Trophy Grade .308 ammo

nvpurk

Beginner
Jul 3, 2018
The Nosler .308 Trophy Grade ammo page (150 AB, 165 AB, 165 Part, 168 E-tip) recommends BBL Twist rate of 1:10". Any ideas what I'm going to miss using a 1:11.25" twist? (It's the only .308 rifle I have :^)

I'm guessing the bullet will destabilize after 400 or 500 yards, which I don't plan shoot more than 300 yards (give or take a little) anyway.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Welcome aboard. I would imagine that you'll be fine with your rifle. There is really only one way to know the final answer to the question, and that is to buy a box of the ammunition and test at various ranges. Again, welcome to the forum.

the longer bullets(AB, ABLR and ETIP) are going to be less stable yes but only marginally. The Partition will stabilze fine as its a much shorter bullet.

I have used weights from 165 to 185 grains in my 1:11.25" twist and had no problems with stabilization. I am pretty confident that they will do fine , like Mike says, in your rifle. One way to find out is to try it.

Thank you all for your suggestions - looking forward to trying out both the 165 AB and Partition (as suggested)! Also, thank you for the welcome :^) I haven't been much of a hunter these 59 years (except for sage rats) until the past two years. Got my first ever deer tag and antlerless elk management tag just this year! (in Nevada) Now I'm busy over-thinking everything :?

Back