180 Accubond .308

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
I recently picked up a box of .300 H&H factory Nosler loads with 180gr AccuBond. They fit my stub gauge with about .003 headspace off the shoulder which is much closer than the new Winchester brass I have. They should be deadly accurate, I’m gonna shoot 3 and save the rest for a rainy day. Also picked up a box of 50 180gr AccuBond bullets. The factory loads look like they have a cannelure and the box of 50 does not. I’ve never thought of a cannelure to affect accuracy much but I wonder if it changes the way the bullet does its business when it impacts the target. Any thoughts? Do any of the factory folks ever chime in?

I've never noticed the cannelure to have any sort of effect on accuracy or terminal performance. I've shot quite a few critters and a lot of targets with the 180AB in both factory and hand loads in my .300WSM and never could tell the difference.

I’ve loaded the Accubonds since they first hit the shelves. Over the years I’ve bought them with and without the cannelure and never really noticed any significant difference in the accuracy. I’d think in the H&H they should be just the ticket.

gbflyer":3b5gaema said:
All the factory stuff has a cannelure I wonder?

I've got 129ABLR, 120BT, and 180AB in Nosler factory and all of it has a cannelure. I've also got those bullets in component form and none of them has one.

I'd guess that most hand loaders don't really want a cannelure since you either load to book length or deal with an ugly cartridge with a cannelure showing.

Tested some loads yesterday. Reloder 22 powder, middle of the road charges per Nosler manual. Yielded 2930 average which puts it up there close to max charge range per the book. Accuracy was poor. New Norma brass.

Also tried the factory loads. They claim 2950, I got 2750. That was a little disappointing but the accuracy was acceptable. Pretty long jump too, I wonder if this bullet is sensitive to that?

I’m gonna slow mine down a bit and see what happens. By the time I shoot up the box of 50 I’ll have it figured out[emoji1]

The 220gr Sierra RN so far is the load for a hunting bullet. A little slow @ 2560 but excellent accuracy. Doesn’t seem to matter what powder either.

Back