300 Wby elk loads

BMat,

Any one you mentioned would be excellent for Elk hunting.
The 200 gr PT or AB both have higher BC's than the 180 gr bullets so they will retain more velocity and energy over longer ranges.
A good starting point would be the 200 gr AB or PT. If your gun won't shoot either one, then try the 180 gr loads.

JD338

JD338,
Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking about the 200 AB. I think I'll give those a try. Do you or anyone else have any experience with the AccuBond on elk?

BMat":1nzia8hm said:
JD338,
Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking about the 200 AB. I think I'll give those a try. Do you or anyone else have any experience with the AccuBond on elk?

Just the 210 gr PT from my 338 RUM. There are a few guys here that have used the 200 gr AB on elk with great success. You won't be disappointed with the 200gr AB in your 300 Wby.
Try shooting one into 7-8 milk jugs filled with water. The results will speak for themselves. :wink:

JD338

The 300wby with the 200gr AB shoots very well. I like to use a bigger bullet where I can. The Weatherby is the perfect example of where you can do that. The 200gr AB gives you more energy and only drops two more inches at 400 yards than the 180gr AB. That extra energy is like an insurance policy.

It will also depend on your rifle. I have a Remington Model 700 AWR chambered in .300 Weatherby Mag and it has a 1 in 12 twist. I cannot get it to shoot any 200 grain bullet with a decent group. But on the other hand, it shoots the heck out of 180 grain bullets.

I believe Weatherby Rifles all have a 1 in 10 twist and should shoot the 200 grain bullets very well.

I would much rather shoot the 200 grain bullets than the 180's but won't sacrifice bullet size or speed for accuracy.

I always had great luck with 200 gr Partition t 3000 fps. BTW 80-83 gr of IMR 7828 will do this. :)

180 Nosler Part
85.0 of IMR 7828
CCI 250 primer
Hornady Brass

3290 FPS in 26" in WBY MK 5

My 300 WBY for years
I can get above 3300 FPS with 86.0 but accuracy is a tad better at 85.0
Normal signs of pressure in the Hornady brass

I have harvested deer, mule deer, black bear, elk, moose, caribou, grizzly with this load.

Okay, you get the ZOMBIE THREAD award Jeff in Alaska! :grin:

Bringing this one back from the dead after nearly 7 years! Awesome! :mrgreen:

I agree though, your .300 Wby ought to lay the smack down on any elk that ever walked...

Guy

I had a 300 RUM made up for my marine SIL back in 2007. It has a 26" Shilen 1 in 10" bbl and I loaded the 200AB up for him. He still uses that same recipe and last year he put one of those Husqemah (sp?) dialemin scopes on it. He can easily hit with it out to 1000yds. Last season, his hunting buddy had a late season cow tag. He carried his Tikka 338 Federal but my SIL brought this RUM for backup for him. His buddy used the RUM at a tad over 460yds, one shot broadside, blew blood/tissue out the other side, DRT. Then they both about had a heart attack packing her out of that God Awful oakbrush! ha. I think the 300 Weatherby would be swell with either the 180 or 200 , AB or Partition.

I use the 168 grain TTSX for Elk out of my 300 Wby. Flat and does a number.

Any of the 180's and 200's have worked well but a premium bullet seems to hold up better if you get a close shot.

Back