Ever think of selling most of your Rifles ?

Another side effect of having a boat load of rifles is the to-do list grows faster than the range trips can cross them off. Zero the scopes on rifles that traded optics, work up new loads, etc. It starts to get daunting and range trips become a chore. I've implemented a two gun limit for range trips. Keeps me from having too much crap going on and gear to hump around. If I had one gun I know I'd go to the range a lot more.

The last time I thought about selling mine off I got a "kick in the @$$" from my Dad who noted that I was feeling sorry for myself (sound familiar??? re: "when is it over"). I have sold off a couple from time to time to try and pay a bill etc. In the end never been any more or less satisfied. Most recently I welched on a deal for my 243. My friend finally said, "you really want to keep this rifle....why don't you just let me loan you the money...??" I didn't take the money and I didn't sell the rifle. Right decision on both counts. My Dad knew he was dying for almost a year. He never sold a rifle and now Mom cant bring herself to let them go, even to me.

Who knows.... maybe some day? CL

I could never do it. If I was absolutely broke and had to that would be one thing but selling them just to thin the herd ain't gonna happen. I have over 50 of rifles and another dozen plus actions to build more. I'm a hoarder of sorts but I consider it a piggy bank too. When I get to the point where I can't go hunting, or close to that point, and my kids have all they need then I'll sell a good deal of them off and splurge on a big hunt or two somewhere. If I'm making a bunch of $$ then and don't need to sell them I'll leave them to my kids. If I kick it before then the wife can sell them to pay off the house, buy the kids cars, or take a big trip. At that point I'm sure I won't care :lol: . I usually build 4 or 5 a year and hunt with one pretty exclusively, sometimes for 2 or 3 years. Last year I only did a 300wsm, 6.5x68 Imp, and 6.5x47L for me, well technically the 6.5x47L was for the wife to use but I shot it quite a bit dialing it in for her, and I also built 2 300wm's for friends plus did all the load development.

This year I'll build a 6.5 Creedmoor, a light weight 6.5saum, a 28 Nosler, a 7-338 Norma Imp., a lighter weight 300wsm, and a hunting weight 30-338 Norma Imp. I might even do a 375-26 Nosler, 375 Ruger, or 338 something to take to AK moose hunting. I have all the parts to do most of those already so it's just a matter of me doing the work. I might even do a 450 Bushmaster rifle to test muzzle brakes on. I have plenty of actions and stocks so all I would need is a reamer, cheap Green Mountain barrel, dies and brass.

I'm sure my attention will shift to my kids when they are big enough to go hunting with me and they will need several rifles as they grow. :mrgreen: I'll have them shooting quite a bit this year and in '19 my oldest can actually start hunting with me on my tags.

Couldn't do it. Sorry.
I really enjoy fooling with them, building them up, hunting them and working up new food for them. I'm still having too much fun.
Guess I would if I had to for the family but otherwise, nope. :grin:

I didn't just think about it...I did it.

There was a time when I had a lot of guns, a lot!

Now I only have a few, but they are....as best as I can figure...the best in their respective fields, for my uses.

One rifle can and will do it all for hunting, but it might get a little rough popping coyotes with a 375 H&H...that is to say I don't think a single rifle battery is a good idea.

I have:
280 AI (Nosler M48 Custom)...covers all flavors of venison I'm likely to hunt to some pretty extreme ranges.
10mm pistol (Glock 40 MOS)...close range venison provider.
AR15 (Sig 516, 1st Gen)...doubles as a varmint getter and fighting weapon if needed.
12 gauge O/U (New Winchester 101)...mostly clay targets, but will do nicely for rabbits and such.
45acp (Glock 36)...I carry this one.

I do have a couple others that are kept mostly because they are heirlooms...a 552 Speedmaster (1960's vintage), an old Victor Special 16 gauge single shot that was my Grandads, a 32 Regulation Police S&W that is pretty old and in good shape.

Nope...can't have just one.

Well they come and go as the years go by but I seam to always have 4 common calibers around.
243 Coyotes
270 Deer, Caribou, Sheep
30/06 with me 40 years
35 Whelen
But if I had to pick one and go with it for the rest of the journey, thats easy!
I would be lugging the 30/06. (y)
E

I almost started the same thread recently...just couldn't decide the one cartridge the one rifle would be chambered for.

I did sell quite a few of my rifles in '03 to pay off debt and raise the down payment for my first house. I have since replaced some of the rifles and built/bought others.

I have thought about a two rifle centre fire rifle battery, over and above a rim fire, but have come to the conclusion that while it would be practical, it just wouldn't be as much fun. But for the sake of argument it would be either LH Sako Model 85's or Blasers (leaning hard towards the Blasers lately) in 6.5x55 and 9.3x62.

I enjoy buying/building rifles (or at least commissioning to have then built). So a three rifle centre fire battery would be better!

For simplistic reasons I would like the three rifles to be built on the same action, wear the same scope, and hopefully be based on the same case. Familiarity would be akin to the "one rifle" concept while still having three!

In the magnum version it would be the 7MM Rem Mag, the 338 Win Mag and the 416 Taylor. Rifles would be LH Ruger Model 77's, as I have already built the 416!

In the standard cartridge version, it would be the 25-06 Rem, the 280 Rem and the 338-06. Rifles would be LH Remington Model 700's, as I already have the 280 and 338-06! But that 25-06 could readily be switched to the 6.5x55 (damn the same case!) Note; this would be the most likely scenario.

In the short case version it would be the 260 Rem, the 338 Federal and the 358 Win. The rifles would be LH Remington Model 700's, but would consider Sako if they ever build a LH short action again. But for fun, I would also consider either the Browning BLR or Winchester Model 88; as I already have the 358 and am currently building the 338 Federal! Although the 260 could be very easily change into the 250 Savage, and use the 284 Win I already have, instead of the 338 Federal, as I have lots of experience with the 358 and none with the 338 yet. Damn these choices...now you see why I couldn't decide on just one the other day! LOL

The one scope would be the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 B&C. ( I really like the Vari-X III 1.5-5x20 on my 358, the Swarovski Z3 2.5-10x42 on my 280 and the Trijicon 1-4x24 on my 416)

The heck with it...I'm keeping what I got, and will build the ones that I have planned anyways!!!

Gil, love your post, too funny and what really makes it funny is it is based on truth and actually shows us how funny we are.

Gil two things in regards to your post. 1. I think if i did have just one it would be a 375 H& H. 2. You are a candidate for the Blaser R8, with your three rifle scenarios

I do not use a lot of rifles and have access to a lot of rifles and yet I had to order a new double rifle recently.

I have no choice but to always be stuck with owning a lot of rifles ( in conjunction with my sisters ) because we could never sell off mum and dad's collection of rifles--especially mums, as some of hers were owned by her great grandfather .

Best Regards

Jamila

Ah Jamila,

If we could all have such problems!

The world would such a happier place! LOL

JD338":2pj0zdtg said:
HomerOz":2pj0zdtg said:
G'Day Fella's,

1100 Rem Man, NO, I'd just buy another safe.

The best advice I can give you is, don't rush into making any rash decisions!
If you really want that Rem Custom Shop rifle, sell off some things you no longer require, and then Buy It.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

I concur.

God help us if we only had one rifle. I can see it now....
We would all have a 30-06 and sing Kumbaya on the forum. :)

JD338

LOL!

Regards
Homer

My wife once asked me " What are you gonna do with all your guns when you die? " My response,,,," bury them with me. " :lol:

Yeah cutting one loose is hard to day and I regret it for ever. But on the other hand they tend to sit in the safe and not get used. There are 2 rifles that I will always keep but the others can come and go and do. The ones that give me that warm fuzzy feel stay around the longest.
With that said I find I have sold some great shooting rifles that just didn't do it for me.
And have some that have yet to prove they are good or great rifles if there is such a thing.
I guess it's what one likes in a rifle that endears it to them.
I was once told I was a big boy with big boy toys so I guess when they stop being tools for hunting they become toys for us to play with.

Man, I have been going through for a while now also. A few months ago a young fellow from our predator sight almost talked me into selling my CZ 527 in the 204 and I actually was in the process of cleaning it when my oldest boy came down to my cave. Mike stated if Mom finds out you bought another new rifle she is going to have you by the :shock:!! I looked at my rifle and realized it was almost 10 years old it still looked brand new, well I still have it :mrgreen:. I am really looking at something like a 260 or 6.5 something or other :mrgreen:.
I have to keep with the saying "There are so many calibers and too little time" (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I see no reason not to sell something or even a few to own one really good rifle that will take most, if not all types of game. I'd rather own a single super accurate rifle then a bunch that don't cut the mustard.

Beware of the man with one gun as they say!

IdahoCTD":2lgl7l9y said:
What happens when you own a bunch of really accurate rifles though? :lol:

Start the bidding please,,,,, :lol:

Kidding aside, I still want two more builds, a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6 BR , both with 1:8 twist. Then I think I have enough toys to play with for a while.

I don't sell I collect, although most of mine are family heirlooms. The ones that aren't I just like shooting them.
I can see why some like flipping guns it's just not my thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tackdriver284, if you're a lefty, and in Canada, I know where there is a Custom LH Remington 700 in 6 BR with extra goodies for sale...

Back