30-06 ? Dad was right!

I shot my first deer and elk, and with my first center fire rifle, a 30:06. At one time I owned five of them, now I have only one. It's a 30:06 AI, that I have been putting together for a couple of years. It's on a very nice 1917 action and barrel. The 06 is a wonderful cartridge and I took a lot of game with mine. I switched to a 300 WM in 1970 and have never looked back. It's also a wonderful cartridge, and will do everything an 06 will do, better. It does have more recoil, but it's not for plinking. Nor is the 06.

Bill, a lot of folks back in the day swore by the 30-06. My dad used several different weights of bullets from I think it was 110 to 180. We could have gone higher even but didn't have the animals in our area that required the 200 or 220. Rifles were easy to find, bullets were easy to find, and to be honest game was a lot easier to find. We didn't have time to reload or even to hunt for fun much and there was no money for gun collecting, so the old 30-06 was well liked then and from reading this thread, it is still liked today. Great thread Guy. What is next on the hunting agenda for the 30-06 Guy ?

jmm, good post and many people did and obviously still do because you are doing so, use a variety of weighted bullets with the same rifle. If it is not broke dont fix it.

Europe":6rn86coo said:
Great thread Guy. What is next on the hunting agenda for the 30-06 Guy ?

Black bear season opens here on August 1st. It's all "spot and stalk" here in Washington, however use of a predator call is also allowed. I'm hoping my son gets another bear, he's taken two already, with his .30-06 of course. This year he wants me to use my predator call and try to get one in close so he can use the .30-30 lever action rifle instead! (y)

I'll have a rifle with me. Was thinking the .375 H&H Number One, but I won't be surprised if I just grab the .30-06 instead, with the 200 gr Nosler Partitions left over from my Alaska hunt.

After bear season, I'll have a chance for mule deer here in Washington in September & October. Normally I hunt them with my .25-06, but the .30-06 is a contender there as well. That's all the big game hunting I have planned for this fall, bear & deer. Looks like I won't be available in elk season.

Guy

There really is not a lot to dislike about a 30-06. I enjoy it so much I had a custom built in that caliber. It has fetched everything thus far I have sent it after, and I have made my second longest kill with it.

I enjoy my 30-06, and hope to pass it down to my son. Last year a built a heavy 280 AI which has been a lot of fun to shoot, but when I go to camp this fall, i wont be leaving the 06 behind.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well, I will likely be thinning out my collection in the near future as I have rifles that I have not shot in over 10 years and actually some that I have never shot :shock:.
However I have talked with my family regarding the 3 I would like kept in the family my 2 customs (35 Whelen & 280AI) along with my 270win in the CDL.
I have had a number of offers on a couple and everytime I take them out of the safe I eye them and then say no :mrgreen:.
I just may leave it to my kids to look after once I have gone home (y).
I have always said that there is nothing wrong with the 06 as it parent casing of some great calibres :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

My go to is a 35 Whelen, Wild Pig, Whitetail
Deer and Bobcat. Shot my Moose with 338 Win Mag but the 35 would have done just as good, my Pronghorn with a 30-06 but the
Whelen would have done the job.

Back