Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 am

• Custom Rifle Sale Ad
  • Shooters Pro Shop
  • Nosler Ballistics 2.0

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kimber 84L stockwork
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:39 pm 

Been a little while since I've posted anything I'm afraid, but Irma gave me a little time to knockout a few more E7 evals and tinker with a rifle I've been wanting to fix for awhile. As some of you know, Kimber used a slave stock to bed their rifles and the results were less than great, with the barrel not being centered in the channel. This irked me enough finally do something about it, so I went to work with a Dremmel tool and and some sandpaper. I did my first bedding job using Devcon steel putty and it seemed to work alright. I used clear Kiwi shoe polish as a release agent and it seemed to work pretty well. I was a little worried when I found a blob in the locking lug recess, but it came out with out too much trouble. I'm hopeful it will shoot a little better now that it's a perfect fit, centered, and has a little more clearance. I've got a few coats of finish left to apply and then we'll go from there.
V/R,
Joe

Attachments:
IMG_6468.JPG
IMG_6468.JPG [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 212 times ]
Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Kimber 84L stockwork
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:04 pm 

Looking pretty good, Joe. Yeah, Kimber seems to have some difficulties from time-to-time with QC on several aspects of their product. Looks as if you're addressing it correctly, though. Good to see the post.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:48 pm 

Looks good. Am eager for a range report...

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 pm 

Nice job. Definitely let us know how it shoots now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:43 am 

Looks good , I can never seem to mix enough of the stuff to do a complete job since I was use to use a different product that ran everywhere .

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Kimber 84L stockwork
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm 

That looks really good. I've only bedded the recoil lug and rear tang on a couple rifles. Honestly I've not got brave enough to do the whole action. But that looks really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cleveland48 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 pm 

Nice bedding job Joe.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:20 pm 

Nice Job Joe. I dig it.

Is that a 280 Ackley?

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:01 pm 

What a great day guys! New had 8 guys pin on Chief Petty Officer today! Thanks fellas for the feedback on the bedding job. We'll see how it shoots...one of these days. I finally got all my reloading equipment, but don't have any of my old powders. Florida isn't exactly reloading Mecca, so I'm starting from scratch again out here until I can get back to NM in October. I'm excited to hunt the ranch for elk that my nephew works on with both kids in tow, but fear that I may not have a load worked up for that 270 that's getting the nod this year. The family didn't draw squat this year, so this is a hand out tag from my nephew to keep us in elk meat this winter. The kids are getting really excited! Maybe the wife will clear me hot to buy a pound or two online and scratch up some primers.
I know Kimber's QC and customer service are in the toilet, but something about that svelte little CRF action and the 280AI cartridge keep me coming back for more. It just seems like a really slick little mtn rifle if I can get it dialed in.
V/R,
Joe

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:44 pm 

Kimbers can be made to shoot quite well. When they come together, they really shine. You are correct that they are handsome. Trust you tag an elk this fall, Joe. Sounds like a great day for you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:46 am 

Very cool about all of the CPO's getting promoted Joe! That's excellent.

I agree on the Kimbers. Got one for my CWO4 buddy who just retired in a 270 Win.. when I handled it I almost had to keep it and get a Remington for him....HAHAHAHAHAHA

If you need something for the 270 or the 280 let me know. Can't have a fellow warrior trying to make meat without being set up for success.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:17 pm 

Thank you brother and I appreciate it, but I just found a line on some RL26 and 215M primers. I'm good on bullets, dies, and everything else. Now all that's left is to convince the wife! Wish me luck! She's not budging just yet.
V/R,
Joe

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:23 am 

Good luck Joe! 26 is some kinda awesome in every 270 I've seen so far. It will attain safe, blistering speeds. Love the stuff.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 pm 

Alright guys, I'm happy to say that I've got some RL 26, cci 250s, and a new primer tool en route! That means I'm almost ready to start reloading again! It also means I need to get on my horse because we leave October 7th to travel to back to NM for our elk hunt and I'd really love to have that 150 ABLR load for my 270 dialed in.
Tonight I'm going to see if the front guard screw is too long on my Kimber 280ai and bottoming out into the action using liquid paper dabbed on top. I wish I could say I thought of that trick, but saw it on the web for some folks trying to fix inaccurate Kimbers. When the screws are too long it doesn't allow for an accurate torquing of stock to action. Guess we'll see!
V/R,
Joe

Attachments:
IMG_6534.JPG
IMG_6534.JPG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 9 times ]
Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 pm 

Well, it looks like the action screw length is good. My liquid paper indicator was untouched when I clamped it down to 60 inch/lbs with the fat wrench. Having never used a torque wrench for action screws before, I'm here to tell you that 60 ip is no joke! I hope it doesn't torque or twist the svelte little action in someway that would make it inaccurate. Guess time will tell when I get it to the range.
V/R,
Joe

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4