American Rifleman on the 45-70 Marlin

preacher":2zi1a0io said:
I have a church member who uses the Hornady 350rn on everything out here. His is one of the mid 70's straight grip 1895s. Its been his saddle rifle all these years. Mule deer and elk go right on down, but he's never shot either one over 75yds. Good luck to you.
Preacher,

That's great to know! I've wanted to know if the .45-70 would take care of an elk instantly. Sounds like it would. Glad to know that.
Thank you for your post.
In my hunting encounters, I haven't shot over taken any game animal over 200 yes.
On the average its been 75-150 yes.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I have owned several Marlin 1895s through the years and the Hornady 350RN along with the Speer 400fn were always easy to get accuracy from. 4895(either one) 4198 and H322 were good powders. Many recipes out there. I suggest a LEE Factory Crimp Die too, makes life a lot easier! :)

My only 45-70 I have left is a Ruger #1S. My favorite bullet is the Lyman #457122 330 gr. hollow point. I it shot at 2.0" in the 1895 Marlin I once owned and averaged 1.25" in the Ruger which is scoped. The Marlin only had a receiver sight . I did have a Ruger #3 for a while in 45-70 and that thing was , to put it kindly, BRUTAL!.
Paul B.

Hey Paul!
I heard the Ruger #3's could be brutal.
I'm not sure if I want to use lead bullets in mine yet. I probably will down the road.
I'm thinking along the lines of the 350gr RN or the 400 or 405gr FN at first, along with 4198.
Seems like a few of us like the old gal.
There's a lot to like about her.

I've shot 3 deer w the FTX Hornady bullet, 2 factory loaded and one handload.
All 125 yds or less. All right behind the shoulder. No exits. Longest ran 50-60 yds. The others ran like a cat and piled up.
Zero difference performance wise between the handload and factory, although I loaded them to match factory or come close.
They are a very accurate bullet.
I'm sure you know, but the FTX cases are a bit shorter than regular case so you really shouldn't load that bullet in a regular case without trimming.
With that long-winded bit, I won't be shooting those bullets this year. They killed the deer and the accuracy was excellent but for some reason I'm old school enough that no exits bugged me.
My load this year for the 45-70 is RL7 and the 350 Kodiak.
The 444 is H4198 and the 280 AFrame. (If either of those matters :grin: )
The load matching the factory fwiw used H4198.

Dwh7271":3nj6naar said:
I've shot 3 deer w the FTX Hornady bullet, 2 factory loaded and one handload.
All 125 yds or less. All right behind the shoulder. No exits. Longest ran 50-60 yds. The others ran like a cat and piled up.
Zero difference performance wise between the handload and factory, although I loaded them to match factory or come close.
They are a very accurate bullet.
I'm sure you know, but the FTX cases are a bit shorter than regular case so you really shouldn't load that bullet in a regular case without trimming.
With that long-winded bit, I won't be shooting those bullets this year. They killed the deer and the accuracy was excellent but for some reason I'm old school enough that no exits bugged me.
My load this year for the 45-70 is RL7 and the 350 Kodiak.
The 444 is H4198 and the 280 AFrame. (If either of those matters :grin: )
The load matching the factory fwiw used H4198.
Dwh7271,

Thank you for your input. I will definitely use what you suggested. I have 2 boxes of the Hornady LeverEvolution, and once they are all shot, I've been thinking about using those cases for handloading the 325 gr FTX's we have here at the neighborhood Academy store. I was thinking of upping the velocities a little bit for that bullet, and seeing what results I would get.
But I've been looking at the 350gr Hornady FP Interlocks and now the Speer 400gr FP to shoot.
Y'all have some good recipes for different bullet weights. I will eventually get to using them all, I'm sure.

You will find the brass for the Leverevolution is shorter than normal 45-70 brass. Some just grind the bottom of their seating/crimping die down. I never messed with it. I do know that if you settle on that particular brass you can send in a dummy round and $15 to LEE and they'll make you a FCD that fits it right! Not bad at all! Good luck to you. You using a scope or peeps,etc?

Preacher,
I will be using peep sights on my 1895. I just can't seem to force myself to put a scope on it.

I have some of the 350 Interlocks and read over on Marlinowners that a lot of those guys think pretty highly of them. I had the Kodiaks and stopped there. :grin: (plus a buddy walloped an elk w a Kodiak out of a muzzleloader and he was pleased with the bullet)
Don't overlook RL7 and H4198. Both work very well in mine.

Dwh7271,
I believe I will start with the 350gr bullets first, with either RL7 or H4198, since I have had more than one person suggest those. That seems like a winning combo right away. Not going to argue with other people's success. I'm more than confident it will be too in my 1895.[emoji6]

I’ve use 405 cast and the 300 grain Speer. I really like that 300 grain Speer. It expands really wide and penetrates plenty far enough for elk sized animals. If I were to hunt elk with the 45-70 it would probably be with my stash of 300 grain Partitions I’ve got saved up. If I didn’t have those I’d use the Speers without worry.

G'Day Fella's,

Guy Miner, I see the Ruger is also now being chambered in 7.62x39.

Doh!
Homer

Dwh & SJB,
Is the 300 gr Speer that good? I've liked other Speer bullets in different calibers. I wasn't sure if that would be too light for anything other than deer or maybe black bear. If I'm not correct, the Sierra and Hornady 300 grs are thin jackets, right?
I wouldn't mind using a 300 gr bullet if I could.

SJB,
I don't think the pics uploaded. I'm not seeing any.
But, I'm pleased as punch to know that there are some really good 300 gr bullets that don't cost an arm and a leg, and can be used for the heavy big game.
I just might use the Speer 300 gr. Actually leaning more towards it.

If I'm not mistaken, the Speer 300 gr bullet is a bonded core.

JD338

Ah ok! Then that makes sense that it's better than the cup and core 300 gr bullets by other manufacturers.

SJB358":338bp5p5 said:
I’ve use 405 cast and the 300 grain Speer. I really like that 300 grain Speer. It expands really wide and penetrates plenty far enough for elk sized animals. If I were to hunt elk with the 45-70 it would probably be with my stash of 300 grain Partitions I’ve got saved up. If I didn’t have those I’d use the Speers without worry.
I agree with Scotty on his way of thinking. I too have a stash of the 300 gr PT's and just might try one out this fall on a big UP swamp buck.

JD338

Wish I could have been able to purchase some of the 300 gr Partitions.

Back