.22 Hi Power Chrono Session

You are spot-on.

I really ought to just knock that original sight out of the dovetail on the barrel and use only the peep. Local gunsmith here is an old friend and loves working on the old guns. He'd give me a hand with the project, to make sure we got it done right.

Guy

wlhicks264":1k5wqgkb said:
Who makes the .228 ,.229 70 grain bullets now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

I just got 100 of the jacketed 55 grain .228" soft points from BVAC,

(406) 777-5670 · Address. 3616 Eastside Hwy; Stevensville, Montana 59870 ... Bitterroot Valley Ammunition & Components, Stevensville, Montana.

I don't think they make anything heavier, and I haven't tried these yet, but they're .228"

Guy

Guy Miner":2hf6tvct said:
wlhicks264":2hf6tvct said:
Who makes the .228 ,.229 70 grain bullets now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

I just got 100 of the jacketed 55 grain .228" soft points from BVAC,

(406) 777-5670 · Address. 3616 Eastside Hwy; Stevensville, Montana 59870 ... Bitterroot Valley Ammunition & Components, Stevensville, Montana.

I don't think they make anything heavier, and I haven't tried these yet, but they're .228"

Guy
Guy,
Do you know what rate of twist your barrel is on your beautiful Savage?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I've forgotten. I'll check it again. As I recall, it's pretty danged slow.

Guy

Hey all, I just recently acquired and fully restored one of these amazing levers.
The peep sight, for me anyway, is the accuracy issue in a nutshell.
My vision is such that with glasses on, I have a fantastic sight picture but the target is blurry, and without my glasses, I can see the target fine, but my sight picture is blurry.
I refuse to drill and tap it for a scope as someone did to the 99R that I have in 250 Savage.
But.... that 99R will put 5 in a dime at 100 yards.
The point is that these rifles have the potential to be super accurate, and at least as far as hunting goes, my shots are rarely more than 25 - 50 yards and I'm certain it will do the job this coming season.

Attachments

• FINISHED .jpg
    FINISHED .jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2
NYHunter444 - enjoy that rifle. I shot mine for a while and ended up selling it a few years ago. It was mighty fun, but I just wasn't using it much.

Guy

NYHunter444 - enjoy that rifle. I shot mine for a while and ended up selling it a few years ago. It was mighty fun, but I just wasn't using it much.

Guy
Sorry to read that... Fun for sure, but rich with history and nostalgia and a sure fire varmint, predator, and whitetail harvester all day long within it's, and my eyesight's limitations, of course.
I'm gonna see how she does this coming season.

Hey all, I just recently acquired and fully restored one of these amazing levers.
The peep sight, for me anyway, is the accuracy issue in a nutshell.
My vision is such that with glasses on, I have a fantastic sight picture but the target is blurry, and without my glasses, I can see the target fine, but my sight picture is blurry.
I refuse to drill and tap it for a scope as someone did to the 99R that I have in 250 Savage.
But.... that 99R will put 5 in a dime at 100 yards.
The point is that these rifles have the potential to be super accurate, and at least as far as hunting goes, my shots are rarely more than 25 - 50 yards and I'm certain it will do the job this coming season.
Hunter 44- If I can find it back, I will post a link to my thread about a friends 99 rifle that has a No drill scope mount. Works well for me. CL

Here's the link- Might give you a way to scope your rifle w/o drilling it. I couldnt do it either. Good luck!

That's a neat mount. Wouldn't it keep you from taking down the rifle, not that it's frequently done.

Back