Remington Mountain Rifle...270WIN

A

Anonymous

My local hook and bullet normally has a few used rifles on the shelf, today they got a Remington Mountain SS in .270WIN in. I liked the look and feel and the price was pretty reasonable...

Any input on this model that folks have experienced? I don't really need another rifle, but the Mountain Rifle has always appealed to me. If they're problematic, I'll likely just pass on this one.

I liked the Mountain Rifle. Those I have handled/shot were quite accurate and comfortable to shoot. They are handsome rifles, to be certain. If it was chambered in a cartridge I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

I had a Mountain Rifle in .280 Remington and loved it. I had it glass and pillar bedded and the trigger was adjusted. It was a shooter. They are very nice rifles and I have always thought they were very nice looking.

elkhunternm":3qyedans said:
Buy it,Hodgeman!

Dont buy it !

use the money and get something that your wife has been wanting, that 270 will not do anything your 300wsm will not do. Somebody has to bring a little sanity to this thread

Sanity? :shock: You're advocating sanity to this crowd? :? Well, I never...
:mrgreen:

April you know that you used the wrong word for these characters Sanity what does that even mean :lol:.
I know that if Sir Jack was still around he would have loved the Remington Mountain rifle and in a 270win it does not get much better than that :wink:. Now if they would just make them in a the left hand version :cry:.

Blessings,
Dan

April have you lost your mind speaking about sanity around this group! What are we to do with you woman!

David

Ahh the poor woman. Such treatment from so called gentlemen. No wonder she has to move from place to place. :)>)

Thank you Rodger, I appreciate the support. I think it is the terrible treatment I get from these gentlemen is why I am so shy!

Actually, I was going to tell Dr Mike, Dan and David--very well played

BTW, you notice Hodgeman has not responded so perhaps he is---thinking about my first post on this thread lol

....Mrs. Hodgeman was the last in the family to get a new gun. A Sig P225 A-1 (her pick...and she's got good taste).

But yeah, the practical side of me says another .270 won't really do anything special. Between the 6.5, the 7-08, Evan's .270, the .308 and my .300WSM- I'm pretty well represented in that class of rifle for the entire family with guns to spare.

Perhaps a big boomer lever gun or a classy O/U is more appropriate.

hodgeman said:
....Mrs. Hodgeman was the last in the family to get a new gun. A Sig P225 A-1 (her pick...and she's got good taste).

In firearms--and--husbands

Hodgeman, what are you thinking, when thinking about a lever ( big boomer ) 45/70 or a nice Win 71 348, or something in between.

A good friend of mine has a nice 270 Mountain Rifle. It's so light and easy to pack, he uses it for a lot of mule deer hunting in.... The mountains! :grin:

He's got a little 2.5-8x Leupold on it. I've often tried to remember why I sold him that scope nearly 20 years ago... Sigh... One of the best all-around hunting scopes I've ever owned.

It really is a great little rifle, with more "pop" in recoil than one might expect from a 270, because of the light weight of the rifle. He's taken a number of mulies with it, and antelope too. His biggest buck with it scored something like 208" and was taken here in Washington, on a backpacking hunt high in the Cascades.

Guy

I have owned 3 of these Mountain rifles in 280 Rem over the years, and in my mind it is one of the nicest firearms Remington put out. My personal favourite checkering pattern on any factory firearm, and dark materials in the forearm and grip caps, and for a brief period also available in stainless, which made for an attractive rifle.

While all 3 of these rifles shot acceptably well with factory or handloaded ammunition, that pencil thin barrel heated up fast and groups always opened up considerably with the 4th and 5th shots.

I think that this is where I changed my requirements for accuracy to 3 shot groups from 5, upon realizing that big game rifles are not meant for long strings of shooting (the goal being one shot clean harvests), and that while nice to pack, a rifle with a little more barrel contour held steadier and aided in field accuracy. I will gladly carry a few extra ounces of rifle for better field accuracy.

Was happy when Remington brought out the CDL which had all of these attributes, plus was also offered in left hand! The CDL SF Limited are very nice rifles; too bad these were not offered in left hand...

Agree - one of the reasons I like the CDL so much, is because it is similar to the Mountain Rifle. And yes, my friend's 270 is good for two or three shots, then that thin barrel really heats up.

Typically the CDL's have a longer barrel I think? My CDL's both have 24" barrels, and the one I had in 300 RUM had a 26" barrel.

Seems to me the Mountain Rifles had 22" barrels? At any rate, they handle great and sure are easy to carry.

Guy

I thought I was going out of my mind, until I was informed that I just don't remember that happened a long time ago....
EE2

elkhunternm":37lzuavm said:
I have 3-.270's and one more is never a bad idea. ;)

Buy it!

I was thinking the same thing...and then I remembered that I have 4.

Dr. Vette":czr7oedi said:
elkhunternm":czr7oedi said:
I have 3-.270's and one more is never a bad idea. ;)

Buy it!

I was thinking the same thing...and then I remembered that I have 4.

Ah, a true rifleman. (y)

Back