Rifle received

Jamila,

Outstanding!

You have accomplished something that many won’t be able to do. As for anyone taking umbrage at your post my advice to them is to go jump from a high building and see if it’s a hard landing.

You’re a credit to hunters everywhere and many would do well to be more like you.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jamila that's great news to hear from back home, and the short work your new double did for you!

Nothing like having two fine rifles in the field, and your friend with the 416 Rigby. Was it a big Tusker, what did they weigh? The skin is the finest leather IMO.

Safe travels dear girl, and my you always have the wind at your back, and the sun on your face....... except while hunting! :)

Living the dream, Jamila. I worked up a load for a 460 Weatherby on one occasion. A man who was compelled to walk with the aid of crutches owned that rifle. He wanted to be able to shoot 3/8 inch groups with the rifle, because he was going to take it to Africa and hunt elephant one day. That was his dream. I doubt that he will ever be able to go to Africa. If he does go, I can't see him pursuing elephant. But everyone has to dream. If we stop dreaming, we will shortly be placed in the grave.

Congrats! Sounds like it was an exciting experience. Anyone upset by elephant hunting clearly knows nothing about the reality of game populations in Africa. Hunting and hunters are the only thing keeping African wildlife from extinction

Between flights, but should have enough time to finish this

Dr Mike, My mum always told us girls "we will only grow as big as our dreams, so dream big" I am sure she is not the originated of that verse but she was the first one to say it to me. Also, mum has taken handicap individuals on hunts via a special made vehicle but mostly in blinds at water holes. How kind of you to help that gentleman

Cole, I know you love guns and you mentioned the Rigby. It is a very old gun that was handed down from her father. It was made by Rigby in the 1960's, before they sold the company. Rigby is now owned by L & O who also owns Sauer, Blaser and Mauser. The 500/465 was made by Purdy also in the 50's or 60's. Guessing the downed beast weighed 5 Tonnes

Bear, we catch grief from several direction's when Elephants, Lions, Giraffes and Leopards are harvested, but not when we harvest Buffalo, or Hippos.

Thanks again to all who have posted -----really running so please excuse any typos

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila;
Awesome hunt and terrific cartridge and rifle choice. I am experiencing rifle envy here. :grin:
450/400 is just flat cool.
Thanks for the update and safe travels!

Dewey

Hey Jamila,

I'm late to respond...........too busy partying on the River Walk yesterday............. :>)

Glad you broke in that rifle like you did. Like most here there would have been some drama if I had been there.............. drama in my shorts!

Tell the gang I said hi and that my little rifle is ready and it's a beauty......................

Jamila
Very cool, and nicely done! Safe travels. (And keep showing up here -- your experiences are very foreign to most of us, and your re-telling of them is the closest a lot of us are likely to see your world. Thanks.)
-- Mark

Sounds like another great adventure that you will remember for years to come!
Great job!
May you have many more successful and memorable adventures with a great and interesting rifle and cartridge.

Africa Huntress":1fdo1dhz said:
Cole, I know you love guns and you mentioned the Rigby. It is a very old gun that was handed down from her father. It was made by Rigby in the 1960's, before they sold the company. Rigby is now owned by L & O who also owns Sauer, Blaser and Mauser. The 500/465 was made by Purdy also in the 50's or 60's. Guessing the downed beast weighed 5 Tonnes
Jamila,

I was wanting to know the weight of the Ivory Tusk my dear girl......... I'd guess that would be easier to weigh then the whole Elephant! lol Could you pick them up? One or both, if one was it a lot of weight? I've seen over one hundred pounders in my travels their...... Which BTW I love that Country, being in the bush, and the people are very special for the most part. Only a few spoil it IMO.

I gave Cole the answer to his question a couple days ago but since that time I have been ask to post it on the open forum. Example : a hundred pound Elephant means that one tusk weighed 100 pounds. The "reference" is always whatever the weight the largest tusk was. The tusks seldom weight the same and one may even be broken

elephants tend to dig with one tusk more than the other ( just like we are right or left handed ) and the tusk they use the most will be smaller.

The elephant in question was 84 ( his second tusk was 81 )

Cole, you are so correct
My mum is currently back in Africa and working hard on the poaching problem. We need more equipment, better equipment, more people in the field, and tougher penalties for those caught. At this moment only 4 countries in the world are against the ivory ban. Canada, South Africa, Namibia, and Japan. Some are surprised that Canada are against the ban, but they have a ivory art industry ( Inuits making various art objects from Walrus ivory ) that they want to protect.

Best Regards,

Jamila

May I just say to a couple of people as nicely as I can--what my mum does or does not do with her money is her business--not yours. What she has done for some members here is also none of your business and just because she has done things for some does not automatically make you entitled---maybe she doesn't like you!

Oh my. Internet drama. [emoji4] You and your family please do take care. Most people here understand conservation and preservation. We’re not jealous. We support you and your family, the grand effort and the danger and the struggle and the joy! I for one am perfectly happy for you and your family situation. For its not what we have that matters so much... its what we do with it.

I personally am well anchored on American soil. My time in South Africa on business made me realize just how fortunate I am. Although I would love a dream hunt in Africa someday, it would not really be about the kill at all. I think it would be about the opportunity and the memory. Well...maybe a little bit about the kill too. Lol. The work starts when the trigger is squeezed. I’m kinda lazy by nature so I’m selective on the trigger. Lol.

Please keep us posted here. You are a welcome member and its good to read your messages.

that is interesting information, thank you Jamila. please ignore the trolls and give your mother my best

Jamila, you must have ice water in your veins, my pacemaker would probably short circuit if I were in that situation. Please keep posting about your adventures.

Back