Very nice .416 rifle for a guide:

very informative thread.

Guy you never know where a thread is going to go when you start one. This one jumped around a bit, but has a lot of info in it.

Look at the claws on that bear that was shot, thanks for the post Bear78.

Bear78 and Hodgeman, are you guys allowed to substance hunt in Alaska, like Gil and Cheyenne do in Canada ? And is there limitations on what you can hunt for substance, like only caribou, not sheep or moose ? thanks guys

Too Tall":21m1y656 said:
Pretty hard to go wrong, starting on a Winchester Model 70. Right?

Too Tall

Good to see appreciation of the finer things of life. (y)

hunternyny":2368p2sv said:
Hodgeman, are you guys allowed to substance hunt in Alaska, like Gil and Cheyenne do in Canada ? And is there limitations on what you can hunt for substance, like only caribou, not sheep or moose ? thanks guys

I can get subsistence tags for moose and caribou. Not quite the same situation as they have in Canada.

That said- a big chunk of the state has very liberal seasons and bag limits on bears. Within in a short drive, most folks can hunt bears anytime they're out of the den if they wanted to.

I have to agree with Bear....I haven't hunted Kodiak, too much time and expense looking for something that isn't considered table fare. Most of my bear hunting is "target of opportunity" as I hunt for other stuff.

John

As you and others here are aware, some here on the forum would prefer that I did not participate on the forum. And one of their loudest complaints is our right to subsistence hunt. It is true that under certain conditions we are able to hunt some animals even with out a license. But there are restrictions are boundaries that we must hunt within.

Caribou and moose are subsistence hunted most often. Polar Bear meat is still considered a delicacy and is always shared with all in the community, especially the elders. Black bears living on berries are also edible and in fact can be tasty. Brown bear is edible but not preferred, or not eaten at all, if their diet has been rotten fish.

However bears provide more than meat. They provide excellent medicinal lotions, as well as leather waterproofing, and rust replant on knives and rifle barrels. candles, clothing, soap, and I am sure Mrs Bear78, Mrs Hodgeman, Mrs Dr Mike, Mrs Gil have all used bear products to make pastries, and pie crust's

However, I agree with both Bear78 and Hodgeman. If I lived in Alaska, I would not use my time and money to hunt a bear on Kodiak Island, just because it might bigger than the bear in my back yard. I also agree with Hodgeman, bear hunting is more a "target of opportunity", and not a dedicated hunt

and last but not least to get this thread back on track, that 416 looks nice Guy, but I was unable to find the "lever" on the rifle you posted ???

Thankful Otter":1vtwhxq7 said:
and last but not least to get this thread back on track, that 416 looks nice Guy, but I was unable to find the "lever" on the rifle you posted ???

Ha! (y)

Hodgeman, Bear, Cheyenne thank you for the responses to my questions

Cheyenne--I am aware of how badly you and the other ladies were treated off the forum, on the forum and on a different forum. I remember how badly Aleena was treated way back when she posted pictures of herself with a downed lion she had hunted. I still remember the terrible pm she received and posted it on the open forum so we would all know what you girls are hit with. The men who have threatened women with bodily harm, who are not on the forum, for supporting hunting and guns. Your comment came at a time when I am very aware of how badly females who hunt are treated, as it happen to my wife and children last night!

I am glad you have the strength and desire to still post, thank you

"at under 20 feet" is why I will let you guys hunt the bears...!!! Me, I'd want a grenade and some body else to throw it. Nice rifle...I suspect it would limit the tracking for coyotes. :) CL

Back