Got my 9.3x62 back from gunsmith.

Neat cartridge, Scotty. I do like the 9.3s (.366s). That extra frontal area seems to work well on game.

SJB358":2k6jyxbq said:
Very nice! I’ve got a 9.3x57 I’m dieing to do something with. Mine shoots real well with the irons but too darned high to be useful. I think I probably need to look at at a 270-286 around 2200 to keep the sights useful. Mine has the same safety as yours and I don’t really wanna change it. Was thinking of a low pro peep might work for it.

I’d sure like to make it useful. It’s a very pleasant rifle to carry and fire. Pretty mean little cartridge as well.
That is a beautiful gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty----no, no, no

dont change it , the 9.3 x57 for under 200 yard hunting is a beast! we had one, possible still do, loved the low recoil of a rifle with similar ballistics of the 358. We used it in Africa years ago. Are they the original sights ? If so, I would think they would be perfect for a man your size

They are the originals April! It’s a M146 Husky.. I love the little rifle and need to just load some 286’s and get it out. It’s a slick rifle and very well made. You might just motivate me to get it back out and ready for some deer hunting back here.

I hear nothing but great things about how well those big 286 class Bullets work.

I have only ran 286 grain bullets through this one. From day one it was gonna be a timber gun for me, so I never really thought about running the 232’s and 250’s through it.

I have only ran 286 grain bullets through this one. From day one it was gonna be a timber gun for me, so I never really thought about running the 232’s and 250’s through it.

I really like the 286’s. I doubt I’ll ever run any of the lighter bullets.

Well I’ve done a little more work to my old mauser myself. I installed a timney bueller style safety, shaved some metal off the bolt, and mounted a scope. The scope is a prostaff my brother had laying around. It’s a 3x9x50, and doesn’t look very good on the rifle. Buts it’s a free one to try out until I decide on it or the red dot. Used some Weaver 6 hole high rings I had laying around. The bolt clears, but it’s tight. I believe next summer I’m gonna send it off and have a scope friendly bolt installed. In the process of building a cheek riser since the scope is pretty high. I may leave it as is and hunt with it this year. Might even try some 250 AB at 2650-2700 fps and a BC of .494 would probably make a it a hammer out to 300 yards. I’m still a fan of those big round noses inside off 100 yards though!
a59ce446b81e2d8b7c7bea817957bad7.jpg

Very cool!

A BC of .494 is quite good... I wonder what I'd scope it with?

Probably one of the 2.5x or 3x scopes... I like the old friction-adjust Leupold scopes a lot.

Guy

Guy Miner":3e2ejbwd said:
Very cool!

A BC of .494 is quite good... I wonder what I'd scope it with?

Probably one of the 2.5x or 3x scopes... I like the old friction-adjust Leupold scopes a lot.

Guy
Guy I’ve really been looking for some of the older fixed power scopes. I honestly like the smaller bell diameters. I’d been eying the weaver classic K4. I think fixed 4 power would be perfect. This scope is mainly just to see if I could get it to work with the bent bolt and safety, and to play around. I will eventually get the bolt re done so I can go to lower rings and hopefully a fixed 4x scope.

Cleveland, check EBay for the older M8 Leupold’s. I’ve picked up a few of them and some still new in box for quite a lot less than a new scope and they hold zero like death to the Grim Reaper and unlike Leupold’s new scopes when you actually move the adjustments they typically go to where they are supposed to.

SJB358":1blwph69 said:
Cleveland, check EBay for the older M8 Leupold’s. I’ve picked up a few of them and some still new in box for quite a lot less than a new scope and they hold zero like death to the Grim Reaper and unlike Leupold’s new scopes when you actually move the adjustments they typically go to where they are supposed to.
Thanks I have access to some old weavers. A fixed 3x with post reticle and a 1.5-4. Only problem is prying them away from my brothers. Since I’ve glass bedded a few rifles for them for free they oughta atleast let me borrow one [emoji16]

I’ll check eBay and see if I can find some old leupolds hiding out!

Your right quite a few on there! Gonna be watching them closely!

Cleveland48":2o1zlfod said:

I’ve just about sworn off anything new from them but their older friction adjustable M8’s were pretty danged good.

SJB358":1j2ncr9h said:
Cleveland48":1j2ncr9h said:

I’ve just about sworn off anything new from them but their older friction adjustable M8’s were pretty danged good.
I know! I’d been seeing some of yalls post about the newer leupolds having tracking, and other issues.

They are good scopes! Wished they still made them. I actually wished I could get more of the 6x36’s with the LR Dots. Those darned reticles work.

Very nice Cleveland. The safety's aren't that difficult once you take things apart and see how they work, I'm more impressed with the work you done on that bolt. For diving into uncharted waters you done a heck of a job. Good job, work to be proud of.

Scotty that's one nice old rifle chambered in a cool cartridge. I'm starting to realize you are the man with all the gems, every time I turn around you're digging out another 1. (y) (y)

Back