.300 H&H

I gifted a 721 300 HH to a young man whom I have known for several decades, a few years ago. he wanted to step up from his longtime 06. He has used it on a couple of elk, and is very happy with it. I am loading for him and he is hunting with some of the original Nosler 180 lathe turned Partitions, in front of H-4831

Bill, that’s an awesome story above! I sold an ol’ 721 in 270 Win to my nephew on the cheap to keep the rifle in the family. He’s taken a lot of elk and deer with it and always sends me a pic of his harvest.
The 300 H&H just oozes cool! I got turned onto it when I read an article in Sports Afield about Bill Pinnell and Morris Talifson and their pre-64 rifles in Alaska. They used the 375h&h almost exclusively when guiding for bear on Kodiak Island, but also used 300h&h rifles when they began guiding for Dall Sheep in the Brooks Range. After reading the article, I purchased a book about them titled The Last of the Great Brown Bear Men. It’s a great read from a much different era. I’m just starting to tinker with the cartridge and having a blast doing it. It’s the granddaddy of them all and has been getting it done for a long time in style. It’s no slouch in the accuracy department either, as Ben Comfort used it to win the Wimbledon Cup back in the day. To my way of thinking, there’s not a whole lot that can’t be done with a 180/200 grain 30 caliber bullet at around 3100/2900+, respectively!
V/R,
Joe

ShadeTree":dwze5tv8 said:
ethmoid1999":dwze5tv8 said:
I have a 300 H&H Remington 721. I haven't worked with 180-200 grain bullets as large hogs and maybe a mule deer are what I go for. It's in the shop right now to cure a bolt release problem. It does feed and extract smoothly. I first saw a 300 H&H cartridge about sixty years ago and always wanted one. I think the cartridge is just plain cool!

Man that oughta be a sweet piece. I can't speak to the 721's personally as I've never owned 1, but handled a few. Sometimes you can feel quality and that's what the few I worked seemed like. Tight, smooth, slick actions. Quality machine work from an era gone by, from what I could tell.

Amen, those old 721’s were a tad heavy but they were also built pretty tough. I love the old 725’s myself. I’m always looking for one of those.

SJB358":3nniaa88 said:
ShadeTree":3nniaa88 said:
ethmoid1999":3nniaa88 said:
I have a 300 H&H Remington 721. I haven't worked with 180-200 grain bullets as large hogs and maybe a mule deer are what I go for. It's in the shop right now to cure a bolt release problem. It does feed and extract smoothly. I first saw a 300 H&H cartridge about sixty years ago and always wanted one. I think the cartridge is just plain cool!

Man that oughta be a sweet piece. I can't speak to the 721's personally as I've never owned 1, but handled a few. Sometimes you can feel quality and that's what the few I worked seemed like. Tight, smooth, slick actions. Quality machine work from an era gone by, from what I could tell.

Amen, those old 721’s were a tad heavy but they were also built pretty tough. I love the old 725’s myself. I’m always looking for one of those.
HA!HA!HA! I have one and you can't have it :lol: I did burn the barrel out in it and had a new tube screwed on for a 257 Roberts on that long Kodiak action. Killed my first deer with it when it was a 30-06 and a few more with the new barrel and lots of ground hogs. :grin:

truck driver":ifmy41f6 said:
SJB358":ifmy41f6 said:
ShadeTree":ifmy41f6 said:
ethmoid1999":ifmy41f6 said:

HA!HA!HA! I have one and you can't have it :lol: I did burn the barrel out in it and had a new tube screwed on for a 257 Roberts on that long Kodiak action. Killed my first deer with it when it was a 30-06 and a few more with the new barrel and lots of ground hogs. :grin:

I’d like any of them they made, 222, 244, 270, 280... they are danged nice rifles.

Owning the Granddad of the 300 magnums would be cool, indeed.
I have been wanting on for years but never got off of my 300 Win Mag craze.
It's about time to change that, though. If I don't inherit my dad's H&H rifles, ill probably build one. No options for a factory 300 H&H anymore that I'm aware of.

e168389bdf7b216aba51e72f5f06c000.jpg

Got the action today. Very nice.

Oh man! That is damned cool!

The action seems bad though, I think the shifter is on the wrong side. :mrgreen:

SJB358":1azq86rm said:
Oh man! That is damned cool!

The action seems bad though, I think the shifter is on the wrong side. :mrgreen:

Monday production.

Maybe it was made in the UK where they drive on the wrong side of the road so the drivers seat is on the wrong side along with the steering wheel. :)>) Just joking that is a nice action.

We lefties are the only people in our right minds. Politics excluded in that statement of course [emoji6]

By the Grace, I found an original factory walnut classic LH stock on EBay for $60 shipped!!! Of course I couldn’t hit buy it now fast enough after asking the seller about the condition. It got here yesterday and it’s really nice. Totally unmolested, a couple of very small use dings on the forearm tip. I slipped the action in it last night, it’s almost like it was the stock it came with. Of course I can’t imagine that to be the case when the action came from Alaska and the stock from Mississippi!

Had a really rough day working yesterday but this really brightened my outlook. Ha!

This is funny. I took an old 1917 Enfield barreled action in trade last summer. It has been laying around, have decided to build a .300 H&H on that action with either a Shaw or Shilen barrel (because that's what I can afford right now). I was seriously logging on today to start my own thread, I may still.

Let us know how the build goes, I am so anxious to start on mine. Just had the smith pull the barrel last week then the action getting the bolt face opened up and a new bolt handle. Once that's done, I'm ordering a barrel.

FJ4E

wildcat455":1vt85m2o said:
Owning the Granddad of the 300 magnums would be cool, indeed.
I have been wanting on for years but never got off of my 300 Win Mag craze.
It's about time to change that, though. If I don't inherit my dad's H&H rifles, ill probably build one. No options for a factory 300 H&H anymore that I'm aware of.

Apparently there are some factory new Browning X-bolt rifles thus chambered:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85689 ... -and-black

Not a bad price either.

filmjunkie4ever,

Just saw your post.
Thanks for the link!
Sure wish it was a 26" barrel!

Went to Brownings web site, and it says it's no longer in production.

Evidently the XBolt Medallion is though.

Having messed with a Super 30 some years ago, I would
prefer it to any of the 30 mags, if I needed one. Here is a reprint from a few years back.
Quote:
The .300 H&H can exceed the maximum velocity of the .300 Winchester Magnum by about 75 fps with the 250 grain Barnes bullet in front of a maximum load of 67.0 grains of H4831 powder. This load in the .300 Holland gave a MV of 2,650 fps vs. a MV of 2,574 fps for the top load with any powder for the .300 Win. Mag.

35 Whelen":gekdo8k1 said:
Having messed with a Super 30 some years ago, I would
prefer it to any of the 30 mags, if I needed one. Here is a reprint from a few years back.
Quote:
The .300 H&H can exceed the maximum velocity of the .300 Winchester Magnum by about 75 fps with the 250 grain Barnes bullet in front of a maximum load of 67.0 grains of H4831 powder. This load in the .300 Holland gave a MV of 2,650 fps vs. a MV of 2,574 fps for the top load with any powder for the .300 Win. Mag.
Aaaahhh the weather has changed and Earl has come out of summer hibernation HAHA HA.
Happy to see you posting again Earl.

Not for long Rog,
Deer hunters arriving Saturday and we have snow on the ground20181024_140955.jpg
And I still have a big whitetail that has an appointment with a 140gr SST, that will arrive at about 3100fps. I dont expect him to leave that appointment under his own power...........

35 Whelen":3p2kn5s0 said:
Not for long Rog,
Deer hunters arriving Saturday and we have snow on the ground
No snow here but we have had some heavy frost to kick off the rut.
Good luck with the hunters.

I am a consummate do-it-yourselfer when it comes to gunsmith projects, this one has me befuddled. I don’t have a mill, and I’m not brave enough to tackle the extractor cut with a hacksaw and file. Don’t have a milling attachment for my lathe either. I may have to seek professional intervention on this one, or buy a mill. That would only cost me a couple of nice customs [emoji1]

Back