The Famous ( Infamous?) .270 Winchester

DrMike":dgtc14no said:
fightthenoise":dgtc14no said:
This thread will probably cost me a new rifle and scope purchase because now I want a .270, and am ashamed I’ve never shot one. Another thing this forum is good at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we have some real experts at spending other people's money. Always glad to see a fellow rifle crank compelled to pick up something new. [emoji38] (y)
LOL DRMike

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

fightthenoise":3ipbqjzx said:
I gotta say, this forum never ceases to amaze me. Someone can start a thread about a 100 year old cartridge basically saying “the .270 is a cool round, discuss” and we still to this day can fill pages with cool stories and anecdotes about an old cartridge that has probably been talked about to death. This thread has had my most eagerly awaited replies since it began.

I mean all this in no way facetiously. This thread will probably cost me a new rifle and scope purchase because now I want a .270, and am ashamed I’ve never shot one. Another thing this forum is good at.

To add to what you said, after getting the response from the people who have posted on here about their own experiences, and comments from 2 of my buddies, one of whom is a moderator on these forums, and one who was a guide for a prominent outfitter in Cheyenne, Wyoming, both of whom are extraordinary marksman, have stated to me that they like the cartridge. The buddy who was a guide, saw several clients use their .270's, and the clients had outstanding results with their choice of caliber. For that buddy to give praise to a cartridge like he did, says a lot. He loves his .300 Weatherby, and has stated his dislike of caliber choices I've had in the past, he flat out said, " I don't like the 7mm Rem Mag!" Now, for him to say to me, " I really like the .270, is as great of praise as one can get.
He said he has had clients use their .270's from antelope hunting up to elk, and not a single one had any bad experiences with their choice of caliber.

I've got the .270 bug so bad now, I'm looking to add another one to my arsenal, especially after hearing other's stories on here, and after what my buddies have said about it.

I will add something about bullet choice, after killing a lot of animals with 130g partitions I switched to 130g BT's when they first came out and for deer sized animals they can't be beat. I also switched to RL 22 when it hit the market with a F 215 primer pushing a 130g at 3200fps you don't need anything else for deer. The 150g part. is probably the best choice for elk although the 130g part. does work fine. In my way of thinking the heavy bullets kind of defeat the purpose of a 270 which is high velocity. My wife shot a mule deer at 530 yards with the 130 g BT load.

69gto":14a398wl said:
I will add something about bullet choice, after killing a lot of animals with 130g partitions I switched to 130g BT's when they first came out and for deer sized animals they can't be beat. I also switched to RL 22 when it hit the market with a F 215 primer pushing a 130g at 3200fps you don't need anything else for deer. The 150g part. is probably the best choice for elk although the 130g part. does work fine. In my way of thinking the heavy bullets kind of defeat the purpose of a 270 which is high velocity. My wife shot a mule deer at 530 yards with the 130 g BT load.
Well noted! I will remember your experience with the 130 gr bullets.

I have two 270 wins one a stainless SPS 24’ 1-10 twist and another26’ 1-8 twist to shoot the 170 Berger EOL. for long range work. Love shooting it. E tips for sure to reduce meat damage in smaller game

I have two 270 wins one a stainless SPS 24’ 1-10 twist and another26’ 1-8 twist to shoot the 170 Berger EOL. for long range work. Love shooting it. E tips for sure to reduce meat damage in smaller game

I have taken quite a few deer with the 270 and my best elk to date. The elk was shot at 614yds across a canyon with a handloaded 140gr AccuBond at 2950fps. I put the first one behind the shoulder and the second through his neck as he wobbled backward. There was a tree covering his shoulder I had to shoot ahead of or behind. Both bullets exited and he didn't go far.

My first rifle I bought was a pump Remington 760 in 270 win. It took a lot of deer and coyotes with first Remington Corelokt and later 150gr Federal Premium Partition loads. Later I had my dad's old Winchester 670 re-barreled to 270 win and shot it quite a bit including on that elk hunt. I eventually got enamored with the high BC 6.5mm bullets and started using the 264 win mag instead of the 270 for most of my deer size game. It has a similar level of recoil and speed but with the high BC bullets. They both seem to kill game about the same, the 264 is just a bit more forgiving on wind holds. Good old 270's still work.

It's great to see on here that so many people have had such great experiences with a cartridge that will be 100 yrs old in 5 yrs.
After reading about what you have written about the grand old cartridge, I'm hooked on it. It also appeals to my magnum-itis, because it achieves such velocities, and it works as well as any medium bore Magnum on the market.

My first rifle at about age 13-14 was a light synthetic stock .30-06. It was a decent rifle but way to much for a new shooter and I became gun-shy and developed a massive flinch!!! After college, I sold it and bought a Featherweight 243 and with it, gained confidence, shooting ability and quite a few deer, antelope and an elk.

After many years I bought a Winchester Super Grade 270 and have used it almost exclusively the past 7 or 8 years. With it I have taken 8 elk, probably 8-10 deer and dozens of coyotes. I have all sorts of coyote guns and lighter rifles, but I have ultimate confidence in that rifle/combination. Of all the elk I shot with that rifle, only one made it 20 yards, although it was walking going down hill at the time and momentum carried her down. I have taken only one spike, and the rest have been cows. A couple of the cows were bigger than some of the raghorn bulls I have seen.

I shoot one load. 130 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips with Nosler brass, CCI BR2s, 60 Grains of H4831SC loaded to 3.36". It shoots about 3,080 fps out of a 24" barrel. Ballistic Tips are not an elk round, I know. I get hassled all the time about it. I even get told that 130s are too light for deer. That load just plain shoots and I have confidence in it. The closest shot on elk was about 110 yards. Shot through the ribs, the offside exit on the rib cage was the size of a small salad plate and the bullet was rolled up under the hide. How it didn't break the hide, I do not know! Another great cow was shot at 142 yards while she was sleeping. She stood up, I shot her twice more in the exact same spot, and she tipped over. She was dead at the first shot, but this is gnarly country and I wanted to make sure she was down.

The farthest was 411 yards on the biggest cow I have ever seen. My scope has a cds system and the bullet hit exactly where I was aiming. A lung shot. I have no parallax control so that is the outer limit of where I'm comfortable. I made almost a bench rest with my pack and coat and she was broadside, not moving, which is why I took the shot. It looked like she was struck by lightning. I'm not sure if a fragment hit her spine or if the shock knocked her down but her rear legs came out from under her as if she was spine shot and she was dead before I could get another shell in.

There are more robust and tougher bullets for a 270, but that is what I have used and the results from them. For deer, I think that combo is on the heavy side. This year, my 4x4 whitetail buck was at 265 yards broadside, and the bullet was a pass through. The buck ran about 20 yards and tipped over. Most years the bullets are not recoverable from deer. Last year, I shot my buck at about 15 yards, front on, right in the chest as he was sleeping. He never stood up or made it to his feet. I have had such good luck that I have never looked elsewhere for a better bullet as the Ballistic Tips are very accurate and extremely dependable. The recoil is do-able, muzzle blast is manageable and accuracy is incredible. That is my experience in a nutshell, good luck with yours and I hope it serves you well!

Attachments

• IMG_5808.JPG
    IMG_5808.JPG
    906.9 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_5812.JPG
    IMG_5812.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_6319.jpg
    IMG_6319.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 693
  • IMG_8433.JPG
    IMG_8433.JPG
    855 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_3292 (1).JPG
    IMG_3292 (1).JPG
    698.7 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 693
Palouser,

Thank you for your post!
I like to hear stories like yours. Gives me confidence in the old girl before I take one shot with it at a game animal.
I always wait for the best shot possible, and try not to let buck fever get the better of me.
I've been lucky enough to have used a .243, and other calibers as well.
My dad gave me a Mauser actioned .30-06 when I graduated from high school, and that thing had a 20 inch barrel, and was too light, and ate me up a lot!
Then I got my .243, and I did a lot better, and graduated to a .300 mag eventually, but I have always liked soft shooters that outperform their paper ballistics, like the .243, 6.5x55, and now the .270.

HAWKEYESATX":2bh1wuhz said:
Palouser,

Thank you for your post!
I like to hear stories like yours. Gives me confidence in the old girl before I take one shot with it at a game animal.
I always wait for the best shot possible, and try not to let buck fever get the better of me.
I've been lucky enough to have used a .243, and other calibers as well.
My dad gave me a Mauser actioned .30-06 when I graduated from high school, and that thing had a 20 inch barrel, and was too light, and ate me up a lot!
Then I got my .243, and I did a lot better, and graduated to a .300 mag eventually, but I have always liked soft shooters that outperform their paper ballistics, like the .243, 6.5x55, and now the .270.

Good luck! Just posted some pics, most of my hunting pics are on old phones, some of the pics are upside down, not sure why!

Well, we have some real experts at spending other people's money. Always glad to see a fellow rifle crank compelled to pick up something new. :lol: (y)

Says one of the champion enablers. :lol: :lol:

Dwh7271":2etg9a4n said:
Well, we have some real experts at spending other people's money. Always glad to see a fellow rifle crank compelled to pick up something new. [emoji38] (y)

Says one of the champion enablers. [emoji38] [emoji38]
True DAT! [emoji1787]

Dwh7271":1dzgew1b said:
Well, we have some real experts at spending other people's money. Always glad to see a fellow rifle crank compelled to pick up something new. :lol: (y)

Says one of the champion enablers. :lol: :lol:

I represent that! :evil: That hurts, Dewey. Champion? Really? And I try harder! :lol:

I couldn’t help myself Dr.
Your comment was like a hanging curve, I just had to swing. :grin:

So I’ve posted this link before on our ol’ pal the .270 Win, but this seems like the perfect time to drum it up again! I’ve killed more than a few elk with it and I absolutely love it! I’m not sure there is a better combination of flat trajectory, light recoil, and bullet performance out there. I’ve made some long pokes with it and it has always delivered for me. I became a convert when a friend and I happened upon a herd of elk. We simultaneously popped a cow each, him with his 270 and me with my brand new 300 Win. They were both 250 plus yard shots and both ran 50 yards after being hit only my rifle knocked the heck out of me and the ammo cost a fair bit more than his, but we experienced the same darn results. That left me scratching my head about kinetic energy comparisons, but thoroughly impressed with what I had just witnessed from the 270 Winchester. It wasn’t long after that I decided to try my hand with it and man did it deliver. I found a dilapidated pre-64 M70 on the cheap and, as luck would have it, it shot amazingly well. The first factory 140 AB I put through an elk with it dropped so hard and so fast that I thought I had missed! The next year I planted a 130 Scirocco through an old cow facing me at over 300 with the same results. Simply put, I was hooked. I could go on and on about my ol’ friend, but suffice it to say that I’m a huge fan! Apparently, so is Ross Seyfried!

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ross ... gnum-myth/

V/R,

Joe

Back