Show Your Lever Guns

Thankful Otter":1tiyrcb3 said:
Gil and Hawk

Thank you. I hope a couple of members here read and re-read both of your posts above in reference to rifle and caliber preference. I have in the past been crucified, ridiculed, and laughed at, for my 348 preference. At first I tried to be the better person and explain that I dont use a scope ( on the levers, but do on the H and H.s ), I dont shoot from any position that creates a problem for me with a lever, I dont shoot long distances, most of my "hunting" is accidental ( oh there is a nice moose and we are low on meat-bang ). The 348 with a wood leigh bullet will in my humble opinion do anything a 45/70 will do and the 7mmwsm (at least for me ) will do everything from wolf, lynx, caribou, and even moose and bear, if needed, plus it works on the trap line. ----So, if those are the only two I use, why should anyone care----but there are still some that claim I dont have the knowledge, that Gil, Dr Mike, Scotty, Earle, Hodgeman, Bear, Don, Cole, Fotis and a host of others to make that decision-----------and---------I always agree!!! But I dont have the time or even desire to "play" with a lot of rifles and loads and what continues to amaze me, is why I am not entitled to shoot, hunt, and enjoy my rifles, my way.

Nobody needs to respond to this post, I just wanted to get this off my chest and to once again try to tactfully explain my position to those who continue to fault my choice of rifle, caliber and knowledge.---and in some cases everything else I do! Thank you for letting me say all that and if you feel it is an offense post, please delete it Fortis, I will understand.
Beware the (wo-)man who only owns one gun - (s)he might know how to use it....
I own a few more, but most of the time use one.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Blkram":3k0a2kg8 said:
Well, my 348 Swift A-Frames arrived yesterday!
Now to dig out some H4350 and load up a few.
Swift's 2nd manual shows 55.8 to 60.0 gr for 2301 to 2490 fps out of their 24" test barrel.
Other powders listed: Re17, IMR 3031 and 4895

I'd bet you won't have too much drama finding a great load with them. They are on my list to try as well. A decently flying 200 like that is going to be great for anything your eyes can resolve through the iron sights.

that is great Gil. a 200 Swift out of the 348 within 200 yards is all one would need for even the biggest and baddest in North America

Scotty and Cheyenne use the 250 gr Woodleigh and they have knocked down bears, buffalo, muskox, moose, walrus and a whole slew of water jugs, so your 200 gr swift should do the same thing only at a tad greater distance , which will make you even a more successful hunter than Scotty and Cheyenne. Gil, should I add, IMHO ?

Enjoy!

I had the opportunity today to use the 348 win for the first time. We also had the 338 win, 325wsm, and 340 weatherby with us ( not all mine, three of us went together ). Each rifle was shooting 200 gr bullets except the 325 and it was shooting 180 gr

I was surprised that the 348 was the easiest on the shoulder of the group. for some reason I expected it to kick like a mule, but I was wrong. I liked it, and can easy see why so many here like it. Unfortunately if I want to stay married, getting one right now is not possible.

hunternyny":12w8eius said:
I had the opportunity today to use the 348 win for the first time. We also had the 338 win, 325wsm, and 340 weatherby with us ( not all mine, three of us went together ). Each rifle was shooting 200 gr bullets except the 325 and it was shooting 180 gr

I was surprised that the 348 was the easiest on the shoulder of the group. for some reason I expected it to kick like a mule, but I was wrong. I liked it, and can easy see why so many here like it. Unfortunately if I want to stay married, getting one right now is not possible.

Marriage counselling isn't all that pricey. Not that it always works, but it doesn't cost that much on the front end! :mrgreen: Get that Model 71!

The Model 71 Winchester is one of the finest Browning designs to ever come out of the Winchester factory. IMHO, pre-64 Winchesters were the pinnacle of American Firearm craftsmanship. Hand fitting of all milled parts resulted in a solid feel of workmanship like no other. I don’t have a Model 71 but admire those that do. I’m not sure that I would be satisfied with one of the Browning reproductions. I’ve not had a Browning 71 in my hands but I am certain that it will not have the feel of a hand fitted pre-64

As for the 348, with proper bullets, it’s effectiveness is unquestionable as demonstrated be the experienced hunters on this forum.

I think that the modern hunter misses the point of what the essence of a hunting rifle is all about. Pleasing in the hand and fast to bring on point when needed. A hunting rifle needs to be comfortable in the hand when carried so that it is second nature to handle it. That’s a receiver sighted pre-64 Winchester lever gun.
As far as lever guns, I have a pre-64 Model 94 30-30 made in ’54 with a Lyman 48 on it. I also have my Grandfathers 99 Savage 300 that has a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it. That 99 points like a shotgun. We also have a Marlin 1895 45-70 that is fitted with a XS ghost ring and front. It’s my wife’s rifle but she doesn’t much like shooting it.

If I had some cash sitting around with no other priority assigned to it, I would sure be pleased to invest in a pre-64 ’71. Anyone who would disrespect a ’71 really doesn’t understand what these rifles are all about.

walkinhorseman":2bt2ic1n said:
The Model 71 Winchester is one of the finest Browning designs to ever come out of the Winchester factory. IMHO, pre-64 Winchesters were the pinnacle of American Firearm craftsmanship. Hand fitting of all milled parts resulted in a solid feel of workmanship like no other. I don’t have a Model 71 but admire those that do. I’m not sure that I would be satisfied with one of the Browning reproductions. I’ve not had a Browning 71 in my hands but I am certain that it will not have the feel of a hand fitted pre-64

As for the 348, with proper bullets, it’s effectiveness is unquestionable as demonstrated be the experienced hunters on this forum.

I think that the modern hunter misses the point of what the essence of a hunting rifle is all about. Pleasing in the hand and fast to bring on point when needed. A hunting rifle needs to be comfortable in the hand when carried so that it is second nature to handle it. That’s a receiver sighted pre-64 Winchester lever gun.
As far as lever guns, I have a pre-64 Model 94 30-30 made in ’54 with a Lyman 48 on it. I also have my Grandfathers 99 Savage 300 that has a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it. That 99 points like a shotgun. We also have a Marlin 1895 45-70 that is fitted with a XS ghost ring and front. It’s my wife’s rifle but she doesn’t much like shooting it.

If I had some cash sitting around with no other priority assigned to it, I would sure be pleased to invest in a pre-64 ’71. Anyone who would disrespect a ’71 really doesn’t understand what these rifles are all about.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Back