Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christiansen Mesa in 6.5 PRC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:08 pm 

I managed to mess around a bit with the Mesa in 6.5 PRC yesterday. What a nice and tidy package it was. It reminded me of the Remington Mountain Rifle- trimmed down a bit in the stock with a much better trigger and a better fit and finish than most of them I've seen.

This one was chambered in the 6.5PRC, a cartridge I've largely ignored until now. Ballistically speaking- it's about the equal of the 270WIN in a short action and I can't imagine that's a bad place to be.

Has anyone here wrung that cartridge out? It adds about 300fps to the typical Creedmoor load- a 143gr at 2950 seems like it would be pretty easy to achieve and not all that problematic to surpass. While it is obviously intended for long range shooting- the rifle felt just right for a small 3-9x36 scope for point and shoot type hunting out to 300 yards or so. I'd estimate the scoped rifle would be 7.5 pounds.

I have to admit- it seemed awfully good for caribou and blacktail deer and possible ideal for sheep and goat hunts in steep country.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Christiansen Mesa in 6.5 PRC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:25 pm 

I’m definitely interested in one. I wanted a creedmoor for my wife but as hot as they are there are no good deals, so I found a smoking deal on a 260Rem for her. I want a PRC for me, looks like a nice round.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 pm 

FOTIS has that new Sauer in 6.5 PRC

Unfortunately CA is not chambering the 6.5 in left handed actions, so I have been thinking of getting another LH X-Bolt and rebarrelling to the 6.5 PRC. I have been very happy with the one I did in the Creedmoor.

I think it would be a great mountain rifle.

Was talking to a friend last night I hadn't seen in a few months, and he has the Mesa and the Ridgeline in a 7mm-08 and a 300 Win Mag, respectively, and is very happy with both rifles. He really likes the light weight of the carbon barrel on the Ridgeline.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 am 

Hmmmm 6.5PRC how I want to experiment with that calibre :wink:..
Still looking at the 260 Remington as well.
Would love to bring one of them into my stable (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4