Anyone ever heard of a .358 Win Mag?

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Here where I work we Guide hunters as part of the job. A second season rifle hunter came in toting a truly awesome rifle. It was a pre-64 Model 70 in a beautiful walnut stock. When I looked at the legend stamped on the barrel to my surprise it was the original tube with .358 Win Mag stamped on the side.

John, the Hunter, told me a dear friend had given that rifle to him. It was originally a .338 Mag but the barrel had gotten shot out so was rebored to a .358 bore using the .338 Win Mag necked up. He even let me shoot it once! What a hoot!

On his 3rd day here John shot a decent 6x6 bull. I recovered the Hornady bullet but for the life of me don’t know why I didn’t take some pictures of that rifle.

Anyone ever see a .358 Win Mag? It’s got my wheels turning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 358 Norma Mag in my arsenal. It is a tack driver that packs a genuine wallop. Practically speaking, it is a 358 Win Mag.

The 358 Shooting Times Alaskan is a beast! 8mm rem mag necked up

I have a Ruger M77 tang safety chambered to the .375/338 cartridge. Duplicates the .375 H&H very nicely. It's also called the .375 Taylor or .375 Chatfield-Taylor after Robert Chatfield-Taylor who thought the cartridge up. Very accurate and very potent.
Paul B.

While the 358 Norma is not overly popular, it has a great reputation as being a great performer. Have always thought it would be fun to own one. Brass and ammo can be a bit difficult to come by.

The .358 Winchester is a .35 caliber rifle cartridge based on a necked up .308 Winchester created by Winchester in 1955. Cartridge cases can be formed from .308 cases. They were also offered in lever action rifles a long ways back.

Elkman":mihwndfh said:
The .358 Winchester is a .35 caliber rifle cartridge based on a necked up .308 Winchester created by Winchester in 1955. Cartridge cases can be formed from .308 cases. They were also offered in lever action rifles a long ways back.

That is correct however this rifle was stamped .358 Win Mag (not a typo) and it’s owner used .338 Win Mag brass necked up to .35 caliber. It definitely was not a .358 Winchester (.308 necked to .35).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would have been a stomper had Winchester or someone else had brought it out. It is a bit shorter than the 358 Norma but not by much so performance would be the same. I had a 358 Norma for a while and it is a fantastic round just like the 358/338 WM would have been.

Back