Brandy & Gunbroker...

That is pretty cool. Looks like you’ll have some good ammo to break it it with! Or at least get it zeroed up nice.

Since I've got over 200, 160 gr bullets, Sierra & Nosler. I think I'll focus on that bullet weight. :grin:

Guy Miner":2wiwv379 said:
Since I've got over 200, 160 gr bullets, Sierra & Nosler. I think I'll focus on that bullet weight. :grin:

Shouldn’t be much to come up with a screamer for that rifle.

Any powders you’re looking to start with Guy?

When I had my 7MM Rem Mag, I found the Federal Premium ammo with the 165gr SGK was a great performer. I still remember the first 3 round group in that rifle (Rem 700 LSS) went into 0.375" and the second group was 0.625". Harvested elk, mule deer, mtn goat and moose with that rifle.
Was a shame that Sierra never offered that bullet as a component; only built for Federal.
Now that they have offered the 165gr Gamechanger as a component, it would be a great bullet to try in your new #1. If I ever get around to reloading for my STW, I am going to try it there. Think it is an ideal weight for the 7mm caliber. May also have to try it in my 280.

SJB358":2cepmv9v said:
Guy Miner":2cepmv9v said:

Always had great results from RL-22 with 160 & 168 gr 7mm bullets. Have some on hand.

If I can round up some RL-26, I'd like to try that as well.

Guy

Guy,

The 160 gr PT is an excellent choice for your 7mm Rem Mag. Sue used this bullet in her 280 AI at 3000 fps to take her bull moose last year at 262 yards. The first two shots gave complete penetration on broadside lung shots behind the shoulders, the third shot went through the off side shoulder and was found under the hide.
If I could only pick one bullet in 7mm to hunt deer, bear, elk, moose and African plains game it would be the 160 gr PT.

JD338

Guy Miner":20a2y3i6 said:
SJB358":20a2y3i6 said:
Guy Miner":20a2y3i6 said:

Always had great results from RL-22 with 160 & 168 gr 7mm bullets. Have some on hand.

If I can round up some RL-26, I'd like to try that as well.

Guy

That’s the beauty of the big 7, seems to do great from 4350 on up to Retumbo. Can’t hardly pick a bad one.

I don’t have a 7 Rem but I’ve got the 7 WSM, but it is another easy to feed cartridge that just doesn’t seem picky about powders.

Haven't gotten to the range with it, but here's a quick cell-phone snap of the rifle with the 1970's Leupold scope:

M2ArNE6h.jpg

Nothing fancy re the wood, but a beautifully cared for 20-year old rifle.

I'm looking forward to hunting with this one!

Sweet! I've read all my life ( shooting Life = 57yrs) that the 7mm "caliber" balances with the 160gr. At the time, it was the 7x57, .280 and 7mm Magnums. Can't go wrong with it for sure!

preacher":20pzk1y0 said:
Sweet! I've read all my life ( shooting Life = 57yrs) that the 7mm "caliber" balances with the 160gr. At the time, it was the 7x57, .280 and 7mm Magnums. Can't go wrong with it for sure!

Thanks. I was sure I was going to try the 140's more this time around... But when I'm staring at a few hundred 160's and no 140's here in the Gun Room, practicality becomes important. 160's it is! :)

Won't have the blistering velocity, but 3,000+ fps is easy enough with a 160 gr bullet and the 7mm Rem mag. This one has a 26" barrel, so it should be even easier.

Sure handles nice. :grin: I may have "stalked" my grizzly skin and a mule deer euro mount or two while nobody else was home.

Guy

Looks really nice Guy, load up some Retumbo or something similar with those 160's and you'll probably just forget about any 140's ;)

gerry":1zq02kis said:
Looks really nice Guy, load up some Retumbo or something similar with those 160's and you'll probably just forget about any 140's ;)

That’s what I was just thinking. You’ll easily crush down 3050 if not 100 more with the 26” barrel and being able to seat them 160’s out. I kinda think the 160’s leave the 140’s in the dust anyhow, at least when pushed fast like that.

My last 7mm Mag was in a 26" and I got an even 3100fps with R26/Sierra 160. R33 was able to get 3000 with the 175.

Really Nice looking rifle. Nice match to your other No 1. 160's at 3000 fps....whats wrong w/ that? (y) CL

Well, we shall see. I picked up a box of 140 gr Accubonds yesterday.

Who knows? Either way, it should be fun.

Guy

The 140 gr AB at 3250-3300 fps will be a flat liner for deer and antelope. It would even work for elk.

JD338

Hopefully to the range for the first time tomorrow. :grin:

Here's the 7mm on top and the 375 below:
kUckUY1l.jpg

(y)

Back