Remington 700 Aftermarket Trigger Upgrade

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I had my 338 RUM rebarreled last year and it has been turning in some impressive groups out to 800 yards. My gunsmith had suggested I change out the stock factory trigger with a Jewell trigger. Well I ordered a trigger directly from Jewell and had it set for 2.5 lbs.
It arrived in 1 week!
I installed the new trigger and WOW, what a difference. I can't wait to get out to the range and shoot a couple of groups.

JD338

They are very nice. My friend has him on his McWhorters, and I shoot those quite a bit.

The new Triggertechs are also very good. I put one on my 6mm Rem 700 and like it a lot.

beware , I think they self pollenate . it seems like you only buy one , next thing you know you have four or five . at least that's how I remember it happening . you'll really enjoy that trigger .

I've only had one Jewell, and that was on a 6mm heavy varminter I had made up, years ago. It was sweet! I have been using the Trigger Tech Primary ( I too prefer 2 1/2#) but it is easily cranked up to 3# when it gets cold.

I have several Jewell triggers, the old ones when Arnold was still alive. He was a real gentleman and came up with a really good unit.

Not knocking but some experience:

They are prone to failure in extreme conditions. They are precise. I have migrated to Trigger Tech for hunting guns. The PRS guys use TT out in the elements and get along well.

I’ve never been impressed with Jewell at the heavier settings, say 2-3#. There is no way to get the creep out of them. I discussed this with Jim Borden who is a mechanical engineer with credentials and reputation impeccable. He says there’s no way to fix it, and his company sells Jewell’s they further tune. So he also has gone toTrigger Tech for hunting.

If you’re talking ounces for target or varmint, there’s nothing better. I had my bench gun set at 2oz. Beautiful.

I don't remember which RUM has the Jewel trigger and the Rifle Basix trigger. Either way my 338RUM and my 7MMRum both got new triggers. The gunsmith friend in Lompoc, CA did the swap and set them to 2 3/4lbs. They are nice.

gbflyer":2avofl2c said:
I have several Jewell triggers, the old ones when Arnold was still alive. He was a real gentleman and came up with a really good unit.

Not knocking but some experience:

They are prone to failure in extreme conditions. They are precise. I have migrated to Trigger Tech for hunting guns. The PRS guys use TT out in the elements and get along well.

I’ve never been impressed with Jewell at the heavier settings, say 2-3#. There is no way to get the creep out of them. I discussed this with Jim Borden who is a mechanical engineer with credentials and reputation impeccable. He says there’s no way to fix it, and his company sells Jewell’s they further tune. So he also has gone toTrigger Tech for hunting.

If you’re talking ounces for target or varmint, there’s nothing better. I had my bench gun set at 2oz. Beautiful.

GB, good intel. Had a few buddies who had Jewel's become in operable with some dirt. Granted, they were dirty, but not full of mud or grit, just dusty sorta dirty. I have used Timneys with great results and now Trigger Techs as of late and they are excellent. I haven't jammed one up as of yet, but give me some time. Plus, I really like the adjustments on the Trigger Tech, precise and easy!

I still have my original trigger on my middle 1970’s Model 700 and never sent it in because it shoots so well and I do not like that when it’s on safe the bolt can open.
Does and of these safety’s keep the bolt closed when on ?

Almost any after market trigger will be MUCH better than the newer Remington triggers. I have three OLD Remington triggers that are properly tuned to 2 1/2 pounds and the little leaver that keeps the bolt locked while on safe has been cut off so the trigger is on safe but you can open the bolt. I don't like having a weapon with the trigger safety being off when I go to unload. The problem with the old trigger and people having guns going off while closing the bolt etc. was that somebody did not know what they were doing setting the trigger. These triggers have three settings. One for poundage, one for over travel, but the third one is where the trouble was. It was for sear engagement. The sear engagement needs to be at least 10 thousands contact with the trigger surface. If you adjust the trigger poundage it changes the sear trigger engagement. You can look through the hole in the side of the trigger and see this engagement and hold a cut down to fit in the hole feeler gauge to set this engagement. Then you need to put blue lock tight or nail polish on the setting screws to lock them.

I bought a cheap Bold trigger for a Model 96 Swede Mauser I sported out years ago and dang it if it was not a pretty good trigger. It would safely set at 2 1/2 pounds and breaks like glass.

Best trigger I have came on a rifle I got in an estate sale a number years ago that an old bench rest shooter owned. It was a Canjar SP? The rifle was used as a hunter class bench rest rifle and is in 30x47 caliber. The old 300 Savage with the shoulder pushed back 10 thousands. This thing is unbelievable accurate.

Thanks for your comments fellas.
My gunsmith had recommended Jewell so that is what I went with. I suppose like any trigger, keep them clean and maintained and they will behave the way you expect them to.

JD338

JD338":1fyor7yk said:
Thanks for your comments fellas.
My gunsmith had recommended Jewell so that is what I went with. I suppose like any trigger, keep them clean and maintained and they will behave the way you expect them to.

JD338

Just fine for 99% of the conditions we find ourselves in. It’s good to keep all oil out of them, fully flush with lighter fluid...the kind you’d put in a Zippo.

I honestly dont see the point of a Jewell on a hunting rig when a properly tuned stock 700 trigger will break crisp and clean between 1.5-2#...What else am I missing???

If the sear engagement is set super light dust will screw with a Jewell. If you give it just a hair more engagement you almost never have issues.I own about 15-20 Jewell triggers and have never had a dirt problem if the sear engagement is set correctly. I usually hunt with a 12-16oz trigger. Once you get use to a trigger that light it's pretty easy to hunt with but I rarely leave a round in the chamber unless I have a good idea there are animals close.

Back