Winchester M70

slickrem

Handloader
Oct 22, 2016
Hey guys just a line on your take on accuracy with enhanced hand loading...

can better consistency be achieved? Fliers? The rifle is not bedded, the barrel is free floating.

I have found several m70s that had excellent accuracy potential. In my experience the South Carolina made guns were some of the best. My wife has a South Carolina made 270 extreme weather that I put in a feather weight stock. It’s very accurate with multiple loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slickrem":18darr59 said:
mine dates back to early 70's, Connecticut. Is her's bedded?

I usually bed the lug and make sure they are free floated. Haven't had many issues making them shoot.

don't get me wrong.... it shoots an inch consistently, sometimes less not consistently. Just dabbling to see if it can be better, that's all.

I have two.

One has a bell and Carlson and with hand loads, shoots bug holes.

The second one, has the flimsy Tupperware stock.. very soft.

With hand loads I can get some bug holes, but get left or right fliers. Vertically it’s always sub MOA..

Have a B&C stock ordered. If it’s not that, maybe I have a bad spring in my Zeiss Conquest on the horizontal axis.
Personally, I think that flimsy stock is sometime touching the barrel causing the fliers. It’s got quite a few loads that will throw 2-5 touching, the one 3” right or left. It wants to shoot.

I’ll update this thread after I replace the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJB358":369cm9nw said:
slickrem":369cm9nw said:
mine dates back to early 70's, Connecticut. Is her's bedded?

I usually bed the lug and make sure they are free floated. Haven't had many issues making them shoot.

This!

Oh ya - a Model 70 can be very accurate, right out of the box. Or it can be tuned up with some bedding etc, and make it even better. Great rifles, classic hunting rifles!

Guy

I have push feed M70s that will shoot 1/2" and less all day long but they need to be bedded.
I prefer to put them in a B&C stock with a full metal bedding block if there left in wood I pillar bed them and bed the recoil lug. All barrels are free floated.

M70s show the greatest accuracy improvement..... when you simply add another 0 to the end of the designation.

ie: M700s shoot WAY better an M70s....

See how easy that is?

Back