Winchester 71

Sent away all the proper envelopes yesterday for brass, bullets, and rifle. Hope the Good Postal Fairy smiles down on me[emoji1]. Have 250 brass coming and 400 bullets. Wish Nosler made a .348 Partition...probably not rushing to add that one to the lineup just for me. Haha.

The Wilson case gauge is here and a friend visiting from CO brought dies from his old stash. Tracking payment, it’s getting very close, maybe delivered today. Getting closer!

I really need to pick one of those up, always liked them and quite frankly thought it handled better than the marlin guide gun 45/70. The guide gun gets more use then any other gun I own. Every day, twice a day, we walk three miles in the morning and three miles after dinner. So far this summer only bumped into one grizzly. That’ll change once the sockeye show up. In any event I think I’ve justified it, now to look on gun broker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope I speak for all of us when I report...this thread is worthless without pictures!!!

I love a 71!

Hahaha. Not gonna jinx it. It still has 1500 miles to go[emoji1]

Very cool. I have a Browning made 71 and it’s a charm. Love the rifle but I always keep my eyes peeled for a real Winchester.

Congrats on the rifle. I use RL17 and 250 Woodleighs and it’s oh my God accurate and right around 2300 FPS. Works plenty good for under 200 yards on deer for me.

Received confirmation that the payment was received yesterday. The mail has slowed a couple of days but that’s ok it still gets there. So shipping out today. Tracking shows a June 15 delivery (my birthday) which might be doable but optimistic. I guess a little teaser wouldn’t hurt anyone[emoji1]:

850eb378a8edcac1b938b91b5a9560ad.jpg

Snail mail Alaska style, nothing like it. Hope you have it on your birthday

Man that looks good. Deluxe model and everything. That peep sight looks like it's too far forward to be a bolt peep, but please tell me I'm wrong and that sucker has a bolt peep on it. Either way it looks super nice. You are gonna love it I promise.

ShadeTree":pgfcteil said:
Man that looks good. Deluxe model and everything. That peep sight looks like it's too far forward to be a bolt peep, but please tell me I'm wrong and that sucker has a bolt peep on it. Either way it looks super nice. You are gonna love it I promise.
No bolt peep. It’s an early gun, they were factory drilled or had the peep, not both. It’s the correct Lyman 56W. At least that’s where my research has led me anyway.

Very nice! Such great rifle's. You've gotten yourself a fine example. They are a unique piece.....so well designed and quality workmanship. You're gonna enjoy that rifle for years to come. Congrats.

Serial # puts it at 1939 manufacture. I guess a 71 in really good condition is not all that uncommon. Many of them were fired once and the owner found out it was too much of a good thing and they were propped up in the closet. I will have brass and bullets soon, I’ll post up a range report.

Back