Winchester 71

gbflyer":3up89gib said:
Serial # puts it at 1939 manufacture. I guess a 71 in really good condition is not all that uncommon. Many of them were fired once and the owner found out it was too much of a good thing and they were propped up in the closet. I will have brass and bullets soon, I’ll post up a range report.

I don't know, my Dad carried his as his one and only large game rifle for over 20 yrs. Killed a boatload of deer with it and killed a bear back when that was a huge deal in this state. Just seeing a bear anytime of the yr was a rarity much less getting to kill one in hunting season. All with the original buckhorn sights. I even remember of him shooting groundhogs with it when I was a kid.

But, that rifle certainly shows more wear than the one you got.

ShadeTree":3azyd95x said:
gbflyer":3azyd95x said:
Serial # puts it at 1939 manufacture. I guess a 71 in really good condition is not all that uncommon. Many of them were fired once and the owner found out it was too much of a good thing and they were propped up in the closet. I will have brass and bullets soon, I’ll post up a range report.

I don't know, my Dad carried his as his one and only large game rifle for over 20 yrs. Killed a boatload of deer with it and killed a bear back when that was a huge deal in this state. Just seeing a bear anytime of the yr was a rarity much less getting to kill one in hunting season. All with the original buckhorn sights. I even remember of him shooting groundhogs with it when I was a kid.

Is that the one you have now?

gbflyer":1v4u2gic said:
ShadeTree":1v4u2gic said:
gbflyer":1v4u2gic said:

Yep. Not the rifle you have, and if I was looking to add one to my list I'd hunt down one similar to the one you picked up. This is a standard model and not a deluxe. But being it was my Dad's, I of course wouldn't trade it for 3 in better shape.

This is a picture of it on the bench after I had somebody make a replacement for the worn out and falling apart leather recoil pad Dad had put on it yrs ago. I'd let it all natural, but wanted to continue with the rifle the best I could with the way he had it.

ShadeTree":4d37tewf said:
gbflyer":4d37tewf said:
ShadeTree":4d37tewf said:
gbflyer":4d37tewf said:

Yep. Not the rifle you have, and if I was looking to add one to my list I'd hunt down one similar to the one you picked up. This is a standard model and not a deluxe. But being it was my Dad's, I of course wouldn't trade it for 3 in better shape.

This is a picture of it on the bench after I had somebody make a replacement for the worn out and falling apart leather recoil pad Dad had put on it yrs ago. I'd let it all natural, but wanted to continue with the rifle the best I could with the way he had it.

I like that.

I have my grandmother’s Winchester 94 30-30. I think it’s early 1900’s. My grandpa bought it off a friend who broke the stock in a horse wreck. He glued and shortened it for her as she was very petite. I replaced it but still have the old one. Like your 71, it will never be parted with.

So nothing to report other than I am still waiting for the other shell holder for my Forster press. I didn’t consider the stock one wouldn’t accommodate that big ol’ case head. Been waiting for over a week on the ordered part. I’m gonna lose my stuff if I don’t get to fire this thing pretty soon[emoji1]

gbflyer":39rszwfa said:
So nothing to report other than I am still waiting for the other shell holder for my Forster press. I didn’t consider the stock one wouldn’t accommodate that big ol’ case head. Been waiting for over a week on the ordered part. I’m gonna lose my stuff if I don’t get to fire this thing pretty soon[emoji1]

Ha! Yep! It throws you a couple curves initially with that big rim on the case head. Takes the same shell holder as a 45-70. The 45 measures .608 and the 348 is .610.

I had to make up my own loading block........if you look at the pic I posted above you can see the extra big holes I drilled out in the existing loading block so I could accommodate that big case.

Got it. Loaded up a handful of the 200FTX last night with imr4350 out of the Hornady book. Seems odd to see a spitzer bullet loaded for a lever gun.

Finally made it out to fire it! Only had a little time and a handful of ammo, it was uneventful which is a bonus with a 80 year old rifle[emoji1]

o.k. fair enough

best of luck to everyone using the Win 71, and as Fotis says above, he is there for-- you.

gbflyer, beautiful rifle, enjoy

Scotty, if you do anything with the hammer bullets, let us know. We appreciated your help years ago with the wood leigh information

FOTIS":110mdi1d said:
I am here brother!!!!
[emoji1]

I found an old book with some 150gr data. 4320 powder and 3031. I have neither. I have a glut of H322 and H335. Seems like one of those is close. No one on the Hammer forum has anything for it either.

Dogs got me up/ bear in camp. Dogs made a big deal out of it but the bear was just passing by my window.
Got me thinking about a 71 again. Caused me to recall a local shop from when I was a kid. Guy had a fifty gallon drum at the end of the counter. The contents were old trade ins, Winchester 92;94;95 and 71s unceremoniously deposited therein.
I still think I need a 71[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":pt67yntm said:
Dogs got me up/ bear in camp. Dogs made a big deal out of it but the bear was just passing by my window.
Got me thinking about a 71 again. Caused me to recall a local shop from when I was a kid. Guy had a fifty gallon drum at the end of the counter. The contents were old trade ins, Winchester 92;94;95 and 71s unceremoniously deposited therein.

Yes, I agree. A worthy reason to empty that tip envelope [emoji1]

gbflyer":3syyhpkz said:
salmonchaser":3syyhpkz said:

Yes, I agree. A worthy reason to empty that tip envelope [emoji1]

That’s right, you know about such things! I just emptied it on a pair of Swarovski binoculars, no rifle for me this year.

Back