Browning X-Bolt Medallion

The rifle will arrive at my LGS today, but I won't be able to pick it up until next weekend. And I won't be getting the scope until Christmas. So it will probably be late winter or early spring before I get to take it to the range for a break-in session. I'll report back at that time with my first impressions.

Good luck to all of you with your hunts this fall. May your blood trails be short.

bdbrown66":1rbso7m6 said:
Dang bunch of enablers, you all are. I found a pretty good deal on one and it's on the way. Thanks for helping me spend my money. :)
Awww...I didn't get a chance to say "Buy a Sako" in time :)

Enjoy your new Browning!

Well, I didn't get to start working on loads for the new 6.5 X-Bolt until this spring, but I'm getting the first combo to settle in. 140gr Barnes Match Burners with IMR 4451. It's a decent load, but with nothing else to compare it to in this rifle, I don't know if it will get better or not. Also, I started off with a Nikon 4.5-18 FFP Prostaff 5, but I decided that the reticle was too heavy for my use when I was zoomed in. So, I just replaced it with a 6.5-20 Burris Fullfield E1. First time out with that scope today. Did pretty decent with it; we'll see if it gets better.

IMG_20210619_133017.jpg

I'll post a pic of the rifle in a bit.

Brian

It does appear that that particular load/rifle combination works. Time to take it hunting. Good job.

That's a keeper. Should be a fun gun to hunt.
Nice shooting!

JD338

Nice!
I believe that you will very happy with it!

I was initially disappointed after ordering a left handed X bolt All Weather when first introduced in 6.5 CM, that they had decided not to build it. So I bought the same in 7mm-08 and had it rebarreled with a Benchmark 5R barrel (there's always a work around!). The trigger is excellent, and I have mounted a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 with the Varmint reticle on it, and it makes target shooting out to 500 yards easy. Nice, trim little rifle that feels good in the hands and at the shoulder. Recoil is mild, and a pleasure to shoot! Will use it on my next antelope hunt (perhaps this fall???).

The rifle shot 1/2 MOA with factory ammo right from the start and is a pleasure to carry and shoot with 123, 129 and 143 gr bullets. I did take a nice young bull moose with the Hdy 143 gr ELD-X at 15 yards with it the first season...although I could have used my recurve! I have taken it on wolf and deer hunts, but have not yet had the chance to take either with it yet, but have utmost confidence in its ability to do so, as the 6.5x55 has done well on all the game that it has taken for me over the years, from deer, sheep, moose, elk and caribou.

I have a supply of 130 gr AB's that I hope to develop a load for in the 6.5 CM, and save the 140 AB's for my lh Sako in 6.5x55.

Blkram":278lptih said:
Nice!
I believe that you will very happy with it!

I was initially disappointed after ordering a left handed X bolt All Weather when first introduced in 6.5 CM, that they had decided not to build it. So I bought the same in 7mm-08 and had it rebarreled with a Benchmark 5R barrel (there's always a work around!). The trigger is excellent, and I have mounted a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 with the Varmint reticle on it, and it makes target shooting out to 500 yards easy. Nice, trim little rifle that feels good in the hands and at the shoulder. Recoil is mild, and a pleasure to shoot! Will use it on my next antelope hunt (perhaps this fall???).

The rifle shot 1/2 MOA with factory ammo right from the start and is a pleasure to carry and shoot with 123, 129 and 143 gr bullets. I did take a nice young bull moose with the Hdy 143 gr ELD-X at 15 yards with it the first season...although I could have used my recurve! I have taken it on wolf and deer hunts, but have not yet had the chance to take either with it yet, but have utmost confidence in its ability to do so, as the 6.5x55 has done well on all the game that it has taken for me over the years, from deer, sheep, moose, elk and caribou.

I have a supply of 130 gr AB's that I hope to develop a load for in the 6.5 CM, and save the 140 AB's for my lh Sako in 6.5x55.
If you are using an X-Bolt, you should look into getting one of these. It makes a pretty good factory trigger even better, on par with the Timney I have in one of my other rifles, for about $20 and a few minutes of your time.

https://www.mcarbo.com/browning-x-bolt- ... g-kit.aspx

Watch the YouTube videos that show the replacement and the results. It's a noticeable improvement.

Brian

I’ve always had excellent luck with a-bolts shooting good. The few x-bolts I’ve shot also shot great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Playing around with some load development for my X-Bolt yesterday, using H4350 and Hornady 140gr BTHP Match bullets. First group gave me about .5 MOA, pretty good way to start:

IMG_20210927_074042.jpg

The next step was really on the money. Although I pulled the second shot a little, the other 3 were bang on. I almost had myself a "Fotis." Lol. Don't have the numbers right in front of me, but I remember that the SD for that group was 8.

IMG_20210927_074110.jpg

The next 2 groups opened up a little, but weren't too bad. I've got one more group to shoot, then probably circle back around and play with that second one a bit more.

IMG_20210927_074140.jpg

IMG_20210927_074213.jpg

All in all, this seems to be a sweet-shooting rifle.

It does appear that you have a shooter on your hands. Congratulations.

Back