New Project

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Well got a project in the works. The other supt. here on the project is a benchrest shooter and we've gone back and forth about a bunch of stuff. Long story short, I have ordered a 6mm BR Norma barrel with the Ramage nut to replace the barrel on my daughters 243, and then I will set the 7mm08 as her hunting rifle if she decides she wants to hunt anything, and she can target shoot with the BR. This is a bit of a new direction for me but I am excited.

The 6BR is a very accurate caliber and fun to shoot. Powders that work well are Varget, H4895 and RL15. Maybe others but these I have hands on experience with. Brass is a little pricey but it will last along time giving several loadings. Small rifle match primers do well but the CCI450 magnum holds up to more pressure and cost less(normally). Friend of mine has used his to take deer. You will like it I'm sure. Dan.

Well I have finally got everything ordered and the final piece (stock) should be delivered by the time I get home in 2 weeks. The intimidating part is going to be taking the barrel off a rifle that you know already shoots. So first maybe make sure the 7-08 shoots before I take the 243 apart. Anyway here is the parts list,
LH Rem 700 donor
Timney trigger
E. Arthur Brown 6MM BR Norma barrel
B&C M40 style LH stock in snow camo w/ 13"LOP
Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14, May need to add a rail
Harris Bipod

Hopefully able to get this all together on my days off.

I bought a box of loaded Lapua 90gr Scenar, also 100 brass and able to get some match primers to load up some 70gr BT's

What twist did you go with? Mine is 1-8 in. Have shot 70,87,100, and 105 gr bullets all group well with their respective load. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":y5tipm9f said:
What twist did you go with? Dan.
I got the 1-8" too,
I have a bunch of 70gr BT's that we'll use for messing around, and if she gets serious look at some more of the heavier match bullets, and different powders when they come available.

Well its all put together and the daughter did help out and have her hands on it. She loaded up the first 9 rounds for it. Excited to see how it shoots.

Attachments

• 20210725_211248.jpg
    20210725_211248.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,046
Thanks JD
We got a chance to take it out the other night, and i actually got to pull trigger twice. Here is the group she shot with shots 7,8,9 out of it. She is very happy to say the least, its the best she's ever shot. Now time to load up some more and maybe she'll let me try shooting a group.

Attachments

• 20210726_202836.jpg
    20210726_202836.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 983
  • 20210726_203158.jpg
    20210726_203158.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 983
Great shooting and we will let it go that you put the bolt back together on the wrong side of the rifle buddy :lol:

Fantastic. Your daughter shot really well for her first time behind a "New Rifle". It's only going to get better.
Congratulations to the both of you.

JD338

I'm with Scotty on this--the bolt is backwards! Your daughter appears to have a great future with that rifle/load combination. That is fine shooting for the first time getting acquainted with the rifle.

Thanks guys, she was pretty excited and so was I. She loaded up some more lastnight so hopefully we get a chance to make it back out before i go back up to work.

SJB358":2vdmpe7c said:
Great shooting and we will let it go that you put the bolt back together on the wrong side of the rifle buddy [emoji38]
Well, I have to disagree.
That is the only side for us creative, ingenious, ..., south-paws!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Back