Need some help picking out bases and rings.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Midway is running some sales on a few items I'd be interested in. Particularly bases and rings for the Sauer I picked up.

I can get a 2 piece Talley integral extended ring set where the base and ring is one unit. Matte black. Aluminum. $40

Or a Warne Maxima 2 piece base. Matte black. Steel. $22.50

Warne Maxima vertical rings. Matte black. Steel. $30.50.

Both low rings. So the Warne set would be $53, the Talley set $40. Which is neither here nor there, but what would you recommend? I'm not a scope base and ring man, never claimed to be.

Thebear_78":10fi7z6y said:
I’ve been well served with Talley mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bear. Any issues or reservations about aluminum verses steel?

Ive used Talley one pc mounts on several rifles from 223-300 rum, no problem with any of them. Probably used on a dozen different rifles. My 300 RUM WAS 7 pounds 11 oz, with vxiii 3.5-10 illuminated reticle. If it can handle that I’m betting you will have no issues

Thebear_78":12tl7wsu said:
Iced used Talley one pc mounts on several rifles from 223-300 rum, no problem with any of them. Probably used on a dozen different rifles. My 300 RUM WAS 7 pounds 11 oz, with vxiii 3.5-10 illuminated reticle. If it can handle that I’m betting you will have no issues

Yepper. Comparatively the 06 isn't close on recoil compared to a RUM. Thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

Got the last one Bear. Thanks for the input. I'd of been hee hawing back and forth, looking stuff up for an hour trying to educate myself on what the right choice was.

Shade I've used Talleys on Ruger American in 223 and 270 with no problems. Good ring-base combo. Wouldn't hesitate to use again. Dan.

Talley ring/mount set-up has been great on 338RUM. I initially started out with Leupold 2pc standard mounts/rings, but the recoil of this gun destroyed the rear standard mount and ring. After reading about a few of you using Talley products, I went looking on Midway's website and found a set of 30mm Talley ring/mount combo (ring & mount in one piece) on sale. Never had another problem. I went to Midway again looking for a Talley ring/mount set-up when I got my 375RUM, but the price was rather hefty so I went with Leupold 2 piece dual dove tail mounts and rings.

With the smooth lines of your Rifle I would look to Control mounts and rings. More expensive but you will have it for your lifetime.

1100 Remington Man":25rbp3jt said:
With the smooth lines of your Rifle I would look to Control mounts and rings. More expensive but you will have it for your lifetime.

Thanks for the advice, not doubting your assessment. Got the Talley's in route so I'll see how they work out. Gotta pick out a scope yet. I try not to buy what I'd consider cheap and junk for scopes, etc, but I also to this point have not ever spent big money on those type of things.

ShadeTree":3j7p35s1 said:
Thanks for the advice, not doubting your assessment. Got the Talley's in route so I'll see how they work out. Gotta pick out a scope yet. I try not to buy what I'd consider cheap and junk for scopes, etc, but I also to this point have not ever spent big money on those type of things.

Hard pressed to beat this one for your rifle.

https://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-z3- ... 59033.aspx

Thebear_78":1kmjylka said:
ShadeTree":1kmjylka said:

Hard pressed to beat this one for your rifle.

https://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-z3- ... 59033.aspx

I wouldn't argue with you. Not a bit. That's a sleek looking scope. I've had the pleasure of shooting behind a few Swarovski's. Not mine of course but on buddies rifles I was shooting. Very clear glass for sure.

I always consider those kind of scopes way out of my league for my type of shooting. Perhaps someday when I quit buying rifles I'll treat myself.

I've been considering a Burris Fullfield E1. Not in the league of the scope you posted, but it is a little slicker looking than the Fullfield II and has the ballistic plex reticle.

Darn you Bear. Now you have me looking. You guys are gonna put me in the poor house. :x :x :mrgreen:

I’ve been going less quantity and higher quality over the last few years. I don’t regret it. I would see if you could liquidate a couple lesser firearms and splurge on that Swarovski. At 700 it’s an excellent scope, one you get behind really good glass nothing else will do.

A fine European rifle deserves some good European glass

Thebear_78":3soch9vw said:
I’ve been going less quantity and higher quality over the last few years. I don’t regret it. I would see if you could liquidate a couple lesser firearms and splurge on that Swarovski. At 700 it’s an excellent scope, one you get behind really good glass nothing else will do.

You make a sound point that I don't disagree with. Would be a fine fit for that rifle.

Perhaps I'll start a scope cash bucket and split what comes in saving up for my next rifle. I'm not done buying good rifles yet, it's a fun and rewarding quest, and besides, I'm under strict orders from my wife to do so. :shock: :lol:

I got some things I could get rid of to speed up the process. Got a Leupold 12 X fine crosshair scope that I got for doing some work that I have no idea when I'll be using it. It will probably sit up in the cabinet shelf for the next 25 yrs.

Got a bull barreled 98 Mauser 22-250 that I done a lot of work on, and it shoots. But been thinking of selling it. The rest of my rifles I'd hate to get rid of any at the moment.

The only other one of no real significance is a synthetic stocked 98 Mauser in 30-06. Nothing special about it, but it makes a real good bad weather, climbing on the rocks, rifle to have around. Used it last yr and have it on standby for this yr.

Thebear_78":1s1y2apw said:

+1 (y)
I like Swaro glass and side by side with anything on the shelf at the same price point it is the clearest.

Back