760 35 Remington.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
You can't bed these things and it's stringing shots. Must be the barrel. Guess I'll send it back to Remington and see if they'll fix it. :x :lol:

1 of the smartest things I've done in the last 2 yrs is taking the risk of developing my own loads for this rifle outside of any book load, just because a 760 will handle it. I love this setup. Runs 2310 when loaded back off the lands, 2325 when loaded out like these are. Shoots right at 1.250" consistently.

I tried an extra step this time. Before I wasn't resizing after pulling the factory bullets because I have Lee dies for this and cannot size without popping the primer as the decapping stem is all one piece. I'd crimp the bullets heavy after seating but I noticed there was inconsistency's in neck tension.

Took a shell holder and put it at the top of my vice between wood and a towel. Cradled a paper towel underneath to catch them, and took the stem out of my universal decapping die and used it to tap out the primers with a small hammer.

Now I could resize the case, then seated the primers I popped out, seated the bullets and hit them with a medium crimp with the LFC die.

Woo doggy. Big improvement. One of these shots is also the cold bore shot on a clean barrel.

Just a warning. This load is likely too hot for a lever rifle. Certainly way too hot for an older lever or pump.

Nice rifle and chambering. Looks like you found Utopia.

JD338

JD338":ca3s3ddk said:
Nice rifle and chambering. Looks like you found Utopia.

JD338

Ha! It didn't have to do that, it's a 35 Remington for crying out loud. :lol: Just to pull under an inch strongly would've been more than needed. Heck where it was at was fine. I just didn't like the inconsistent neck tensions I discovered. It was really consistent in it's group size before, but who knew what was hiding inside there. (y)

Sheesh- I think I'm gonna box up one of my old "obsolete rifles" and send it to Shade for load development :shock: :x Another winner! Great work! (y) CL

cloverleaf":3v3zldct said:
Sheesh- I think I'm gonna box up one of my old "obsolete rifles" and send it to Shade for load development :shock: :x Another winner! Great work! (y) CL

Ha. I got a mix of rifles that are just so so. They're not all winners as you put it, and depending what they are I'm okay with that.

I have a theory about a 35 Remington. I think it's about the right horsepower for the bullet it's pushing. Makes for a low disturbance good match. Like a 222.

I have a 141 in 35 Remington that shoots about as good as I can possibly shoot any rifle with a peep sight, I don't care what it's chambered in.

Problem is across it's history for the most part, it was shoved into rifles not known for accuracy, but accurate enough to get the job done. Like most view the cartridge itself.

Guilty of it myself. I would've never just pulled bullets on a 22-250 or 30-06 and seated them without resizing the neck, and expected high accuracy. But it's just a 35 Remington so it's good enough, right?

Thanks all. These rifles we mess with are a lot of enjoyment. Older and good shooting, even more fun IMO.

So dumb stuff bothers me sometimes. I look at this target and think how can it measure .690 outside? Clearly there is at least 2 bullet holes of separation from top to bottom, and 2 bullets of .358 would be .716. I'm still using my calipers that I dropped on the concrete recently, so there is that.

Not worried about the actual measurement down to the thousand's, who cares, it's under 3/8", good group. But the math....it bugs me. :lol:

I know from before that a dime measures .705.......it covers it. Must be an optical illusion of where the .358 holes would extend to. Still bugs me. :lol:

Gotta love it when it all comes together!
Nicely done...now go forth and hunt!

Blkram":1q7rwrqr said:
Gotta love it when it all comes together!
Nicely done...now go forth and hunt!

Thanks! That's coming up soon. Looking forward to it. Put 1 in the books with this rifle last yr, hopefully can add to it this yr. I got a lot of confidence in this setup, from rifle to bullet.

It's strange that out of my rifles, how much I like this one that is just a pump. The cartridge probably adds to it I'm sure. If I was forced to keep just 2 centerfire rifles, this would be 1 of them.

I picked up one of the beasts last winter at auction in .300 Savage. Despite the fact that it looks like it was used as a canoe paddle, tent stake driver, and war club, it still shoots pretty dang good. I bought a ratty one on purpose as I wanted a serviceable hunting arm of this model without paying collectors prices. A couple of pristine .35s went for more than double what I payed for mine.

Haven't really done any load work, just made up a safe 150 grain load per Hornady data with the 150 spire point seated to cannelure. Bingo bango, 1.2" groups of 5. Good enough for any distance I would care to shoot this rifle. Those 760s can shoot!

Polaris, in general they are accurate, reliable, and fast handling. Which is why they remained popular for so long in some areas. I would not be against one at all in a 300 Savage. You probably made a smart buy!

I've seen, or should say worked on for buddies, a couple of poor examples in 7600 that were produced during Remington's crap yrs. That's not to say that the 7600's are inferior in anyway, just that apparently some slipped out the door when the QC guy was sleeping.

I was on a quest for one of these later model 760's in 35 Remington. They're hard to find. Walked into a shop one day last yr and low and behold there it was. At $600, it was certainly more than a 30-06 at the time, but I couldn't get my money out fast enough. These later models in that chambering are routinely more than double that now. Not that it matters, I'm not selling it! (y) :grin:

I did find out my OEM .300 Sav marked magazine is worth upwards of $125, or more than half of the purchase price of the rifle with auction commission, so I've shelved that one in favor of a 6mmRem one I found in a dusty box at a local gun store for $15 for field use! A couple of file strokes and a bump with a brass hammer and function is perfect.

Some sandpaper and linseed cleaned up the wood OK for now where the finish was flaking a bit. I plan to do a more thorough job over the winter, as mine has pretty nice wood.

Polaris":3e9wocpp said:
I did find out my OEM .300 Sav marked magazine is worth upwards of $125, or more than half of the purchase price of the rifle with auction commission, so I've shelved that one in favor of a 6mmRem one I found in a dusty box at a local gun store for $15 for field use! A couple of file strokes and a bump with a brass hammer and function is perfect.

Some sandpaper and linseed cleaned up the wood OK for now where the finish was flaking a bit. I plan to do a more thorough job over the winter, as mine has pretty nice wood.

Yep they can be expensive rascals. As is the 35 Remington. Supposedly those 2 magazines are made different due to their short O.A.L. So in theory exclusive to those calibers, but any S.A. magazine will work as you found out.

Just an FYI about the scope on this rifle. It's a cheap line of scope. A Konus Pro 1.5-5x32. I dug out my receipt for it and I picked it up new on Ebay last yr for $49. They seem to be running about double that now, but still not an expensive scope.

I got it because the reticles are etched into the glass, making it virtually shock proof. The reviews on it I seen on other online sites were a lot of positives about it holding zero. Seemed a lot of guys used it for a shotgun scope.

Lots of scopes out there. This is one for me, doesn't fall into the junk category at all for the money. Over 4" of eye relief, plenty clear, holds zero. My only complaint is I'd like thicker crosshairs for hunting. If you are looking for a scope in this magnification range and see one of these for under $100, I'd say try it.

A day last week I looked closely in the chamber and seen it needed a little cleaning up. Hated to do it this late in the yr with how it's shooting, but the only way to do that proper is to take it apart.

Did that, and ran the scope down a couple of clicks since it's shooting higher with this sizing the neck, then crimping method.

Didn't shoot in the 3's at 100, but shot just over 1/2", less than 5/8". That setup is working for sure. (y)

Shade I have been following your thread as I have a 760 just like yours and we talked about them last year. Glad your load is doing well for you and hope you poke a deer with it this season. The 760 in a 35 Rem is a pleasant woods gun for sure. Dan.

Universal decapping die from Lee works great to remove the primers and then be able to reuse them if you wish. Safer than tapping on them with anything, and I use it all the time to deprime every single used case.

Dr. Vette":3uwf2kd6 said:
Universal decapping die from Lee works great to remove the primers and then be able to reuse them if you wish. Safer than tapping on them with anything, and I use it all the time to deprime every single used case.

I hear what you're saying, and I do have one, though not a Lee. Like you I use it to de-prime every fired case. I like it.

My issue was de-priming them like normal in the press, then having to dig out the primers as not all of them end up in the catch tray.

I took the decapping stem out of my universal die and used it with a shell holder held in a vice. Couple taps and they were out. But I did wear glasses when doing so. This way I was able to put a clean paper towel underneath the shell holder to catch them, then I just dumped them onto my hand primer tray. Never touched them.

wvbuckbuster":1urzgme2 said:
Shade I have been following your thread as I have a 760 just like yours and we talked about them last year. Glad your load is doing well for you and hope you poke a deer with it this season. The 760 in a 35 Rem is a pleasant woods gun for sure. Dan.

Though not for everybody Dan depending what part of the country you hail from, I like the cartridge a lot, particularly in this format where I'm able to hop it up a bit. Doesn't kick to amount to anything, but delivers some thump on the other end.

It was hard to put it away last yr after I killed a buck with it, I wanted to keep right on carrying it, but had some other rifle/bullet combo's I wanted to test out on deer.

I suspect it will be the same this yr. It is first in the lineup for the start of the season.

Back