Report on Browning Stainless Stalker in 7m-08

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I picked up my Browning Stainless Stalker today, put the Bushnell 4200 Elite on and headed to the range. I had pre-loaded some cartridges with Nosler B.T's and Hornady Interbonds. Powders used were Varget, H4350 and Re-15.

When I first picked up the rifle I noticed it was, for me, very light. Being used to Sako and Tikka (in wood stocks) for the last several years it felt like I was lifting a toy. But the syn stock was solid and the barrel centered in it etc... Plus it is free floated.

The trigger was at about 4.5#'s so when I got to the range I adjusted it, which was a very easy task of removing the trigger guard and turning the adj screw. I don't have a scale but compared to my other rifles this feels like about 3.5#s now. . . I know not very scientific. The trigger is not real crisp and while I did not feel any creep it did feel a little mushy. A Timney spring kit will soon be ordered.

The action is ok, nothing to brag about but nothing to complain about either. Not as smooth as my Tikka or Sako but hopefully will smooth out a little in time. I like the 60 degree lift of the bolt.

The clip is attached to a "drop door" which will be comforting to those who fear losing their clip somehow, but to me I don't like it. I like clips the best but give me one that just drops out when I push the release button.

The clip measured at 2.805. The chamber measures, depending on the bullet used, at around 2,880 with polymer tipped bullets. I had pre-loaded my cartridges at 2.810 figuring it should be a safe bet and ended up shooting it as a single shot. This is not a problem since that is how I shoot all of my rifles at the range. But for hunting it doesn't work for me so I will be loading up some cartridges at the SAAMI recommended 2,80.

Accuracy. Of the 3 load combo's that I tried it really liked the 140gn Bal. Tip with Re-15, CCI primers and Rem cases. 3 shot groups at 100 yds measured .537 and .512. Not bad as far as I am concerned. The Interbond bullets I can't get to shoot out of anything I have ever tried so I figured this would be no different, but I was surprised that it was not all that fond of my H4350 offering with groups of 1.25 - 1.5".

As of now I really like this rifle although there are a couple of things that I would prefer different. I have read both good and bad reports of the Browning rifles but this rifle seems to be a Keeper.

Long
_

Back