PLEASE HELP !!!!

bcd

Beginner
Sep 27, 2004
As I've mentioned in other forms I own a Remington 700 chambered in 270 win that I've been shooting for about 15 years, but the gun is about 20-25 years old, but was never fired untill my father gave it to me at the age of 12 or 13. Right now it is still shooting o.k. but last year my groups started to open up a little bit and this year a little more and I think that it may be time for a new barrel, and I was thinking about a hart , but then i thought that an ackley improved might be nice, if there is one, any information on this would be greatly considered and helpful.

Have you checked all the action and scope mount screws?

Have you changed your ammunition recently?

Have you cleaned it lately?

Check the crown for damage. Check the stock for cracks. Check your scope.

George

I'm with George on this one. I would exhaust oall other possible options before a rebarrel. It is rare indeed to shoot out a non magnum hunting rifle barrel in a lifetime of normal use. Remove the barrel from the stock and reassemble. Clean the barrel with a high quality copper fouling removing solvent. Remove your scope and then reattach it. Inspect everything very closely. If that doesn't work, switch scopes from another gun and try again. I just don't believe that barrel could be gone yet unless you shoot a whole lot.

Paul

About two years ago I had some trouble with my scope base comming loose, but I reinstalled it with loctite and every year I check it. I haven't been able to shoot much this year so it's been just sitting in the safe, but normally when I shoot I carry my cleaning kit with me and about every third to fifth shot I'll clean it. I'm also consdering a new scope. Last year I also bedded the action and floated the barrel, And after that my shot placement changed a little, but I still had a good group. As far as the amount that I shoot, some people call it alot, I'll shoot between 50 and 100 shots a weekend fro the last four or five years, not every weekend but once or twice a month.

Let me see if I have this right.
270 Winchester (Not a magnum, but still medium fast)
Average 100 round per month = 1200 per year
Had it for 15 years, so figure a conservative 10 years of shooting consistently.
Adds up to around 12000 rounds down the tube...

Get a second opinion from a gunsmith, but I would say the barrel has done its job and is now ready for retirment.

I like Pac-Nor Barrels. I have one on my 25-06 that has grouped in the teens. I don't know if I would bother with an AI since their shoulder can make them feed funny and I like the idea of being able to buy off the shelf components or ammo. You may consider getting a different sort of cartridge because it can be fun (25-06, 6.5-06, 280, 30-06, 338-06...).

The Ackley improved you are referring to is actually a different caliber made with the case of a 270 win withthe shoulders blown out, it is probably comparable to a 270 weatherby and is a wikldcat, only for handloaders and serious ones at athat since fireforming brass is required.

Actually, with the Ackley Improved cartridges, you do not have to fireform just to shoot ammo. You can buy the same every day 270 ammo and shoot it right through the AI chamber and it will fireform to the chamber....THEN you will need to start over with the Ackley data to get the performance gains inherant to that cartridge. The 338-06 is a case in point that I have real no BS experience with. You can just run a 30-06 case up into the die, then seat a .338 bullet of your choice and the Weatherby Mark V rifle I was shooting would shoot that combination well under MOA.

IF YOU CONTINUE TO SHOOT YOUR RIFLE WITH HOT BARRELS YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS THROAT EROSION IN AS FEW AS 500 ROUNDS. IF YOU HAVE SHOT THIS RIFLE AS MUCH AS YOU SAY YOU HAVE 600 TO 2000 ROUNDS PER YEAR I' D SAY YOU'VE GOT YOUR MONEYS WORTH OUT OF THAT BARREL AND IT IS DEFINATELY TIME TO REBARREL.

Back