how can you tell when your rifle was manufactured

I'm going to say that you'll need to contact Savage, have the serial number ready and they'll be able to tell you. You can try searching their site for this info, but some makers don't publish it. I found on Browning's website that my A-bolt stnls stalker, that I bought used, was made in 1995 just by the letters/number on the serial #.

Good luck

Speaking of rifle mfg dates.....does anyone know where the records are for the Winchester Model 70's built in New Haven up until closing?

I have a .338 WM stainless that I bought used and I have no idea when it was built. I presume in the 90's because it has the CRF but I'd love to know specifically (year wise) when it was built.

I'm not sure if this is accurate or if it will include your serial number, but here's a link I found:

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

This site has other makes as well, but again, I can't verify the veracity of any of this. I'm going to run a few of mine (which I know the purchase dates on) and see how 'accurate' the lists are. I'll post my results when I get around to running the numbers.

Don`t know about Savage. But for Ruger owners I would recommend the book "Ruger & his guns". There You`ll find complete listings on serial numbers for all models, and production year.

Back