370 Sako Magnum?

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Was watching a Leopard Hunt re-run on TV the other day and saw that the gun being used was a new one on me. A 370 Sako Magnum. It appears to be a 9.3 rather than a 375 caliber. Does anyone have a rifle like this? Have been pondering a 45-70 and a 375 in my near-ish future as my bore size average is currently .306 and would like to get something a bit larger for the arsenal. You know for all of the Alaskan Brush Pounding and African Safaris I am probably never going to afford. :roll:

What are the advantages if any to getting this 370 Sako Mag vs a 375 H+H or similar?

I never poo poo a new rifle, but I can't see picking the 370 over the real thing, the danged 375.. Heck, the 45-70 is a great rifle as well buddy!

Don't forget, Winchester is making these now!

Model-70-Alaskan-Stainless-Laminate-MID-535142-l.jpg

Wow thats a sexy looking rifle friend! All thats missing is the beam of light from heaven and angels coming down to sing a hymn. I too have been leaning towards the 375 purely for nostalgia and the 45-70 for the same. Plus my Grandfather joined a Blackpowder shooting club that only allows era-correct cartridges and original or replica setups to shoot for record scores. Any shooting is welcome for fun of course. So the 45-70 I want is a single-shot breechloader like a Sharps. We are thinking to get at least one 45-70 rifle between us and go take the leader board.

filmjunkie4ever":31qutyjy said:
Wow thats a sexy looking rifle friend! All thats missing is the beam of light from heaven and angels coming down to sing a hymn. I too have been leaning towards the 375 purely for nostalgia and the 45-70 for the same. Plus my Grandfather joined a Blackpowder shooting club that only allows era-correct cartridges and original or replica setups to shoot for record scores. Any shooting is welcome for fun of course. So the 45-70 I want is a single-shot breechloader like a Sharps. We are thinking to get at least one 45-70 rifle between us and go take the leader board.

Sounds like a plan. I wouldn't mind having a big single either. Be fun to shoot long with it.

I love that M70 Alaskan! Coolest rifle I've seen in awhile

I thought about the 370 Sako Magnum, but went with the 9.3X64 Brenneke instead. I'm certain the 370 would have worked just fine for moose, elk and grizzly, and it is almost certain that I would have owned a fairly unique rifle. However, there aren't a ton of rifles chambered in 9.3 calibre in any case.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the 9.3x66 Sako, essentially a 9.3-06 improved... or for Scotty's benefit we can call it a 9.3 Whelen.

I bet you like it more now, don't you Scotty?

The 370 Sako Magnum is the 9.3x66 Sako...same cartridge.

I really wish this would get more common in N.America- the 9.3x66 is more common in Scandinavia and it has a lot of positives. Some slight hints a few years ago and all of a sudden it's like Federal/Sako forgot all about it and it's lying about on the floor in the back of the closet.

It gives up little to nothing to the .375 H&H with the bonus of fitting in a standard length action and in most guns that's 4 or 5 down. The 9.3s have a long history in Africa and Europe...the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 are undergoing something of a rebirth so there's hope...

ROVERT":h4czxym2 said:
Unless I'm mistaken, this is the 9.3x66 Sako, essentially a 9.3-06 improved... or for Scotty's benefit we can call it a 9.3 Whelen.

I bet you like it more now, don't you Scotty?

The 9.3's are actually better in both ballistics and SD numbers than both the 35 and 375 cals... It makes no sense why it wasn't popular... With the useable bullets like 250 and 300's, the 9.3 is a beast. I am pretty excited to see what Mike's Brenneke is going to do. It should be a first class stomper!

Consequently, Scotty, the 338 Federal got bumped ahead of my Brenneke. I should have the Federal within a week or two. Go figure. And with grizzly season opening in a month and a half.

DrMike":3kd3h26o said:
Consequently, Scotty, the 338 Federal got bumped ahead of my Brenneke. I should have the Federal within a week or two. Go figure. And with grizzly season opening in a month and a half.

Man, that Brenneke is really making you wait! I would be coming apart waiting for that rifle!

Yeah, it has been a long wait. I had hoped to have it for moose this past season. On the other hand, I can't complain as the fellows have worked hard on the rifles of real customers, and mine got attention when possible. They do a quality job, so I can wait. I anticipate a real thumper. Who knows, maybe next I'll take a look at the 370 Sako Magnum ... or an 8X68S ... or ...

DrMike":27f9x9i8 said:
Yeah, it has been a long wait. I had hoped to have it for moose this past season. On the other hand, I can't complain as the fellows have worked hard on the rifles of real customers, and mine got attention when possible. They do a quality job, so I can wait. I anticipate a real thumper. Who knows, maybe next I'll take a look at the 370 Sako Magnum ... or an 8X68S ... or ...

Man, the exotics are pretty cool. That 8x68 is a beast as well... I need one of those for the bullet collection too!

Thinking about all these 9.3's almost reinvigorates me to look at the 9.3's again... Too many choices we have nowadays.. In some ways, I think my pop's had it nailed with his 30-06 and PT's. He really didn't think about what he was taking hunting! What a horrible affliction we have!

I made the mistake of handling a CZ550 Lux in 9.3x62 a number of years ago, when I did not have the money to buy it. That's the open sighted, Austrian hog's-back stocked model they no longer import. Very nice rifle, with great wood, and just felt natural in my hands when shouldered with the open sights. I believe I may never shake that urge, and I continue to search for a Lux on gunbroker and other places. No luck so far in combining desire, opportunity, and funds. But I believe the 9.3 is one of the great under-appreciated calibers out there, in any iteration. I like it for the same reasons I like my 8x57. It's not fancy, nor is it fast, but it hits - hard - and does what it does very well. Maybe one day...

I am just drawn to oddballs. Brian is the exact opposite, he likes the popular cartridges as they are much easier to grab components for. I think he is the smart one!

I hear the same call, Scotty. Why else would I have .17 remington, .221 Fireball, .220 Swift, 6mm Remington, .257 Weatherby, 6.5 Creedmoor, a couple 7 WSMs, .300 SAUM, ,325 WSM, .358 Winchester and .35 Whelen rifles? And be looking a rebarreling a rifle to 6.5-06, and looking at a .416 Rigby, and wanting to build a .404 Jeffery?

I've been focused on the 8X68S for some time now. When this Brenneke is out of the way, I may just take the plunge. It duplicates the ballistics of my 325WSM, but when has that ever counted for much?

DrMike":3mb5kl67 said:
I've been focused on the 8X68S for some time now. When this Brenneke is out of the way, I may just take the plunge. It duplicates the ballistics of my 325WSM, but when has that ever counted for much?

Never!

You know Kurt we have got to get together and play one of these days. You sure have some interesting and unique sounding toys. Dr. Mike, you make me want to make a trip up to Canada one of these days too.

I like odd balls but I also have a lot of the more popular contemporaries. Guess thats why I want a 375 H+H and a 45-70 as my next long guns.

Back