Heavy Barreled???

Savage Fanatic

Beginner
Oct 31, 2004
In about the last 3-5 months I have been looking for a Heavy barrled rifle bored in .270 WSM between Remington, Winchester, Savage, Browning, Sako, and Weatherby. To my astonishment only two out of six of the manufactures offer a heavy barrled .270 WSM, Savage and Browning.

I am hoping that someone can point me in a direction that possibly I have not looked, Maybe I could get better results that what I am getting from the options above.

Browning's M-1000 Eclipse is a nice rifle but IMO that laminate stock is down right ugly (No offense to any one). And Savage's 12FVSS I would take it in a heart beat if they would offer it in a blued barrel i.e. as in their 12FV.

Buy a Savage chambered in one of the WSMs, and buy a replacement barrel from SharpShootersSupply. Add a take-off stock from a 10FP. Then sell off the factory barrel and stock if you are happy with the heavy barrel set-up.

What would you use a heavy-barreled WSM for?

George

GeorgeS":1sn78noy said:
What would you use a heavy-barreled WSM for?George

Well...to start off, I will admit I have a passion for "heavy-barreled rifles. :grin: I will take a heavy-barrled over a sporter barreled any day.

And back when I use to have a Browning A-bolt Stainless. that was boared in .300 Winchester Mag. I could compare that rifle side by side with my Savage 10FP that I have now (With Scope, Sling, Bipod) and the and the Browning was two pounds heavier than the Savage. How and why.............I have not a clue:?

But to further my point, where I use my 10FP bored in .308 for competion in the state games. I have a some sense of discomfort taking it out in the field. That is where a WSM would come in to play

SF,

There's nothing wrong with heavy-barreled rifles per se; if that's what you like, go for it.

When say you have discomfort taking it into the field, do you think the .308 is 'underpowered' for your purposes?

George

[/i]

GeorgeS":37mtdf6s said:
SF,

When say you have discomfort taking it into the field, do you think the .308 is 'underpowered' for your purposes?

George

[/i]

George,

If I had only one to choose from, out of all the cartridges that is available today and in the future. I would select the .308 hands down.

The reason I stated that I would have some discomfort using my 10FP-LE2B in the field is that I when I purchased the rifle, I purchase it with the sole intent of using it for competition purposes only, i.e. state games and other local shoots. The invitation I received for out in the western part of the state come more than unexpected. In which I was more than unprepared. 8)

That is why I am "looking" for other alternatives than using my 10FP.... in the field. And around here both .270 LA and WSM are very popular due to the light skinned deer we have here, which makes it very easy to find cartridges practically any where.

Savage Fanatic":3541stdd said:
In about the last 3-5 months I have been looking for a Heavy barrled rifle bored in .270 WSM between Remington, Winchester, Savage, Browning, Sako, and Weatherby. To my astonishment only two out of six of the manufactures offer a heavy barrled .270 WSM, Savage and Browning.

I am hoping that someone can point me in a direction that possibly I have not looked, Maybe I could get better results that what I am getting from the options above.

Browning's M-1000 Eclipse is a nice rifle but IMO that laminate stock is down right ugly (No offense to any one). And Savage's 12FVSS I would take it in a heart beat if they would offer it in a blued barrel i.e. as in their 12FV.

Winchester coyote!

have you looked at the old ruger m 77's with the saftey on the tange. they have heavier barrel than alot of newer rifles. i guess it would be a semi-bull. hope you find what you are looking for.

Back