Savage 99

elkslayer308

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
What a great rifle, i have cooed them plenty but i just cant help but wonder how much more popular they would have been if A.W. Savage had gotten his military contract in stead of Springfield's Krag-Jorgensen. The three best loadings for big game are the 300 Savage, 308 Win, and 284 Win. Best of course have to go to the 30 cals in my opinion. Why doesnt Savage reintroduce them in 308, 7-08, and the new 338 Federal? The model 99F with the tang safety is quite modern and sleek. Those things point like a shotgun and shoot plenty accurate for most hunting needs and even for some paper shooting. Story goes that my Dad beat a guy with grampa's Model 99EG (300 Sav) with peep sights in a 200 yard shootin match back in 1977. The other guy had a Rem 700 target with a high-dollar scope though the caliber eludes me. Want Savage to start making them again. I love the two I have but a brand new one, I wouldnt mind it.

Anyone have an old 300 Savage model 99 that they want to sell for a reasonable price? Looking for another one.

My favorite 99 caliber is the 358 Win.

An old timer told me that the Savage's magazine froze up in a cold weather test.

Right at the end some 99's were made in Portugal. Perhaps the tooling is still there?

I wonder the conditions as I have had my 308 in below freezing several times and never any probs. Of ocurse i oiled it lightly every nite at camp and when the shooting came around, never needed a follow up. Never had my 300 in such conditions though.

The 99 is a classic here in the UP of MI. The 300 Savage has killed many a WT deer and Black Bear. I have shot both the 300 Savage and 308 Win and they ar efine handleing rifles.
Great idea, Savage should introduce a 99 in 338 Federal.

JD338

elkslayer308":3s0mt10n said:
Anyone have an old 300 Savage model 99 that they want to sell for a reasonable price? Looking for another one.

SM Guns in Eugene had a 99E about three? weeks ago. It has been altered but would make a good shooter. Price was $350?

ZM

The Armoury in New Preston, CT has 17 99 Savages for sale.

Armoury
Route 202
New Preston Marble Dale, CT 06777

(860) 868-0001

Not all of them show in the picture. Some are on the bottom row for instance.

dsc01449ry7.jpg

Back