7x64 Brenneke

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I mentioned a while ago on a different thread about a left hand Sako 85 chambered in 7x64. Some European companies don't chamber for the 280 but do for the 7x64, a little checking out the ballistics of it put it and the 280 as having pretty much the same ballistics, it turns out that for sure Norma and Hornady produce unprimed brass so the wheels are turning big time in my head :) If I sell two guns (which are on the block anyway) I should be able to come up with the money for the Sako. After seeing a picture in the first link I will post of the 280 and 7x64 side by side, I had trouble sleeping thinking of the possibilities :lol: scroll down to page 22 and you will see a lineup of a bunch of 7mm cartridges, I'm going to have to pick up a hard copy of Rifle magazine it looks like a great issue all about 7mm cartridges. There is a picture of the 280 Ross on page 16 as well DrMike, looks pretty big next to the 280 Rem neat round too. What do you guys know about the 7x64 you could tell me?

Some links:

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/ ... artial.pdf

http://www.norma.cc/en/Ammunition-Acade ... Data/7x64/

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowled ... nneke.html

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85HunterLH.pdf

The 7X64 is an excellent cartridge. It is, indeed, the ballistic twin of the 280, which is no inconsequential matter. I would not ever dismiss owning a 7X64, as it is a great cartridge. Consequently, I'm working on the Ross this evening. I'll be loading 160 grain Woodleigh PPs.

I have owned and used the .280 Rem, Browning A-Bolt, 22 inch barrel since 1995. I have killed half a dozen deer with the 140 Partition at 2960 fps. The .280 did a fine job with one shot kills and DRT from 200-350 yards. No drama, no misses no anything but dead mule deer bucks, all Utah or Wyoming meat bucks at 150-180 pounds.

I was experimenting with the 160 AccuBond at 3010 fps with IMR 7828 SSC when my grandson needed his first deer and pig rifle for his 17th Birthday. He passed Hunter Safety at 16. He has killed one deer and (5) pigs this past year, all with the 140 Partition, all one shot kills. The deer was a Blacktail and about 100 pounds, the pigs went from 60-400 pounds, again no drama because the big pig was a neck shot at 60 yards..

I was hoping that he would test the 3000 FPS AB bullet but it has not happened. He has promised to use those on an elk which in Washington will be by law, a spike. I am waiting patiently but that load makes it essentially a 7mm Rem Mag. So no surprises there, as I own a 7mm Mag and have killed deer and elk with it since 1962, all 160 gr Partitions at 3060 FPS.

Gerry

Those are some great links.
Ya just gotta love the 7mm's. :grin:

JD338

JD338":9yoi4w6b said:
Gerry

Those are some great links.
Ya just gotta love the 7mm's. :grin:

JD338

Yes they have a lot going for them, high b.c. and s.d. bullets and most of them don't kick too hard. Turns out the 7x64 was developed in 1917, it certainly has staying power since it's 95 years old :grin:

Here's another LH 7x64, still like the Sako much better though.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=234

Well, I'd guess! However, it is a faster twist, which will work to stabilise heavier bullets.

DrMike":1j0u4q4b said:

Well, I'd guess! However, it is a faster twist, which will work to stabilise heavier bullets.

You are right, the Sako is 1 in 10 and the Zastava is 220 mm which works out to a 1 in 8.66 twist. Are your 280's 1 in 10?

Browning/Winchesters are 1:10 twist in the .280 Rem.

I always wanted a 7x61 Sharp and Hart. Cool looking case.

Gerry, The Winchester is a ten twist and the Remington is a nine twist. The Winchester doesn't stabilise 160 and 175 grain bullets to my satisfaction; the Remington does. Should I ever replace the barrel, it will be a nine twist.

The Browning was a 1:10 and did pretty well at stabilizing ( at least Accubonds at 3000 FPS).

The 7x64 is a grand cartridge~!
My chaplain had one in Germany is a Steyr. That rifle was scary accurate.

Gerry -
My 338-06 began life as a 7X64 Brenneke in a Finnbear hunter model purchased in 1990. I have the die set for it yet if you are interested in building/purchasing this rifle. I had a 280 Ruger 77 at that time as well and wanted to see what the difference was. They are almost identical in charge weights for every bullet I tested with the two rifles. I still have the Norma brass that was supposed to be shipped to Dr Mike's daughter for his 9.3 whatever Brenneke caliber a couple years ago :roll: . You darn Canadians make it hard for us to help you :) !

I am thinking about building another one on a Sako action that is sitting in the safe. Great caliber and Norma makes great brass for it.

Joel, Did I order brass? Man, speak to me! I'll send you some money and an address where to ship it. You have to understand that these things happen when we get old and forgetful. :roll:

257 Ackley":2gws8n8r said:
Gerry -
My 338-06 began life as a 7X64 Brenneke in a Finnbear hunter model purchased in 1990. I have the die set for it yet if you are interested in building/purchasing this rifle. I had a 280 Ruger 77 at that time as well and wanted to see what the difference was. They are almost identical in charge weights for every bullet I tested with the two rifles. I still have the Norma brass that was supposed to be shipped to Dr Mike's daughter for his 9.3 whatever Brenneke caliber a couple years ago :roll: . You darn Canadians make it hard for us to help you :) !

I am thinking about building another one on a Sako action that is sitting in the safe. Great caliber and Norma makes great brass for it.

That is the kind of info I was looking for, thanks. Between Hornady and Norma a good supply of brass could be found even on our side of the border. If you ever build one on the Sako action we would love to see how it works out. It's too bad we have so many stupid laws that make it so hard to get things across the border.

I like the 7X64, just cause it is different. Not sure what it is, but I am glad to have to do a little work to get my rifles shooting. Keeps me busy. If I wanted it easy, I would just shoot a 30-06, but whats the fun in that!

X2 Scotty, thats also the reason I test out different bullets all the time it keeps things interesting and fun. Will have to check out the availability of 7x64 brass here and then make a plan to make it happen, special ordering a Sako it can take months if not years for it to get here. It would appear that standard 30-06 brass could be used to form the 7x64 as well, the case is very similar.

Yeah, I am sure it would be worth it Gerry. I haven't ever owned a 280/7x64.. I have been close a few times, but it carries alot of merit. Right now, the 7WSM is just about my favorite 7mm. The 280 would be in the same league I think. Hard to beat the 7mm's for an all arounder.

It has always amazed me that the world is so parochial. The 7mm and 8mm Brenneke cartridges have beeen around almost as long as the Ouch & Ouch's, yet they are not popular still. Considering when they became availible, they should be world beaters for popularity, Bosch or not! Hell, I am 1/4 Bosch!

Here is a picture of my Sako's. The big shiny one is the Finnbear hunter in 338-06 that started life as a 7X64.
P1010442.jpg

P1010443.jpg

Mike -
PM me the address you want the brass sent to again. It is still sitting in my office boxed up and ready to be shipped. :roll:

Back