Remington 700 Sendero?

smithjef

Beginner
Sep 15, 2006
What kind of accuracy should I expect with one of these in 264 WM? I haven't ever owned a Remington rifle since I started handloading. I am just curious on what to expect!

Predicting what kind of accuracy you'll get with a Sendero - or any other rifle - is tough. I can though tell you what I've seen from two varmint-barrel Remingtons.

7mm Rem mag Sendero - this one regularly printed 3-shot groups at 100 yards around 1/2" with my handloads, and one factory load it really liked. It also shot very well at 600 yards, staying well under MOA at that distance. The factory barrel was accurate, but rough, and it fouled quickly.

.308 Win/Rem 700 VS - this one would usually group around 1/2" - 3/4" at 100 yards. The original factory barrel produced good accuracy to 600 yards until well past the 4000 round mark. I even won a couple of minor matches with it.

Both of these Remingtons needed trigger work from the start. Very rough triggers. The barrel on the Sendero was very quick to foul. The 700 VS needed to be bedded before it really settled down. It was accurate from the factory, but had a wandering zero until it was bedded. The Sendero, also in a stock from HS Precision, never needed any additional bedding.

Regards, Guy

Jeff,

As Guy mentioned, its hard to say what your rifle will do.
I can say that all my 700's shoot well under MOA with a few that will break .5 MOA with handloads.
I would expect this level of accuracy from a sendero, again with good handloads.
Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

Jeff,
I own 4 M700s-
one of those I have not shot yet, but the other three-
a sendero in 338RUM, LSS in 300RUM, and a VLS in 223 Rem shoot very well indeed. The 300 RUM will shoot three-quarter to one-half inch groups with a 200 grain Partition, and the VLS will shoot black hills blue box ammo with the 50 grain VMAX to under a half -inch at 100 yds.
My 300RUM fouls less than any rifle I own, while the 223 fouls worse than just about any rifle I own! Strange, eh? :shock:

Every single sendero I ever owned (about 5-6) have been able to do under 2" at 300 yards with the right load.
It is noteworthy that the right load was found rather quickly in those heavy barrels. :wink:

Do the barrel break in procedures and you won't have any trouble after about 30-40 rounds. Fire one shot and clean after each shot for the first 5 rounds, then fire 2 shots, clean for the next 10. then fire 5 rounds and clean after each 5. After I did thid I noticed it took lesseffort and fewer patches to get a clean barrel.

My Sendero SFII 300RUM likes a dirty barrel. After a couple fowlers it shoots under m.o.a. at 100 meters using of all things, 180 grain Swift ScirrocoII's :oops:

RJ

smithjef":x4wnpqd9 said:
What kind of accuracy should I expect with one of these in 264 WM? I haven't ever owned a Remington rifle since I started handloading. I am just curious on what to expect!

smithjef

All the Sendero rifles that I have seen......SHOT GREAT! As for your caliber choice.....I wouldn't pay 50 cents for a trainload of .264 caliber rifles! Yeah....I know....there's some maybe that will flame that statement but that don't bother me at all! I go by my own experiences over the years as I don't lie to myself too often! I made a mistake in buying one of these about 1962; one of the first ones to come out in a M70 Winchester and it wouldn't group on a shxthouse wall even after I had bedded it and floated the barrel! It was the same with every bullet I tried! Sonofagun cost me a case of beer also because a Master Sgt. on our team bet me that he could shoot a better/tighter group than me using a M52 Winchester in .22 caliber from 100 yds. and he would shoot prone just using a sling and I could shoot off the bench! Well...like an idiot.. :( :shock: ..I took that bet and when Ole Sarge got finished shooting his ten rounds....they were all stacked into a 1 1/2" group whereas me with my LOUDENBOOMER couldn't put ten into but 3 1/2"! :( :( It didn't take me long to get shed of that .264 and I cringe even today when someone mentions that caliber! :evil: :evil:

Get you a Sendero in either a .300 Win Mag or a 7MM and most of these I've shot have been real shooters all the way to 800 yds. Haven't tried any past that distance! :lol: :lol:

I want a 264 Sendero also mainly because its a Sendero in 264 win mag with a 26" barrel.I have teo Ruger 77 markII in 264 win mag.I gave shot 3/8" groups with them using Lapula 155 gr mega tip bullets.I shot two prong horn at 350 yards it flattened them.I also shot a gudge 9 point whitetail at 15 yards with it.I really like the 264 win mag.I always wanted one and finally got some of them.I will buy a Sendero 264 win mag for sure.

dgr416":3lfwl6iq said:
I want a 264 Sendero also mainly because its a Sendero in 264 win mag with a 26" barrel.I have teo Ruger 77 markII in 264 win mag.I gave shot 3/8" groups with them using Lapula 155 gr mega tip bullets.I shot two prong horn at 350 yards it flattened them.I also shot a gudge 9 point whitetail at 15 yards with it.I really like the 264 win mag.I always wanted one and finally got some of them.I will buy a Sendero 264 win mag for sure.

Great!

Get ya a bushel basket of spare barrels while you're at it! You'll need 'em!! :lol: :shock: :(

I built a .264 on a Remington M700 action with a Shilen barrel and a McMillan synthetic stock, except my rifle is a 6.5-'06. It shoots very well, but is not particularily light.

jim

Back