Rem. 742 Question

zupspoon

Beginner
Sep 27, 2006
A friend asked me to load some 30-06 rounds for his 742. Started with 60 gr of RL-19 in once fired brass from factory loads with 165 gr Core-Lokt bullets. All cases were below max length. Velocity for the 60 gr load was in the low 2600 range, which is pretty low and certainly not indicative of high pressure. As a rough baseline, he had some 180 gr Remington factory loads that we clocked at around 2700. Problem is that after firing, most of the case necks from the reloads had splits, and most of the splits didn't extend to the end of the case mouth...they were in the middle of the neck running lengthwise...strange. The factory loads didn't split but the case necks were somewhat chewed up. I've never owned a Remington semi-auto but did own a BAR in 300 mag and never had cases chewed up or split like that. Needless to say I don't care to reload any more rounds for that rifle. Any 742 buffs out there with a clue?

This is very interesting as I just picked up a Remington 742 in 30-06 and am planning on loading for it.

What kind of brass was it and were the cases fell length sized or just neck sized?

chip...Winchester cases. They were full length sized with regular dies...not small base. They ejected ok...just chewed up and split around the neck. Some gas operated guns are very sensitive to the powder speed...I suppose it could be timing issue, but it's not my gun and I'm not going to spend a year trying to figure it out...besides, the scope on the gun looks like a reject from a Tasco fire sale, on see-thru cheapo mounts about a foot high, and it groups like the horse's azz with any factory ammo...a fine example of a spray-and-pray gun for the deep woods..lmao. This same guy has a nice Winchester 70 in .264 Mag that has another welfare scope that most of us wouldn't use on a paintball gun, and he blames it's poor grouping on everything from the wind to the angle of the sun to the speed of sound on a given day. Ya gotta just shake your head and laugh.

I loaded 2 boxes of shells for him, out of 40 rds 3 cases had slight neck cracks, it was once fired win 06 brass.

Have the gun checked by a smith. I know autos can wreal havoc on cases but not that bad. Also with the 165 gr try a faster powder.

The 742 does chew up brass bad......I suggest a faster powder like IMR 4895 or 4064 in the 30-06 semi........and small base dies. I have several 742 excellent gun!

Slower Powders in the 742 are not good for the gun!

Popular in the 1950s!!

I suggest the next time you cross a local bridge.....give the 742 the 'heave ho' over the port side and go get you a rifle! These make good boat anchor material!! :( :wink:

Popular in the 1950s!!

I suggest the next time you cross a local bridge.....give the 742 the 'heave ho' over the port side and go get you a rifle! These make good boat anchor material!! :( :wink:

Back