New Rifle Suggestions

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
Heading to Idaho on Oct 15 for a hunting trip, and was thinking of a new rifle or handgun. My first thoughts are getting a 460 or 500 S&W or a .338RUM. I currently own a Ruger SRH 44, Browning 338WM and a Win 270 WSM along with a 223, 204 and 300 Savage. I'm not really interested in a 7mm. I might even consider a 30 cal something. Purpose is for big gime (elk, bear, moose). Before you ask, no I don't need another rifle, but does that really matter? Let me know your thoughts. Oh, I have my 338WM shooting 225 AB, so I was thinking of the 338RUM with 250 PT. If I buy, I'll buy in ID since I'm still a resident there and won't to deal with the CA 10 day wait and $25 background fee.

**** UPDATE ****

For any one just checking this out, I purchased a 300RUM. See below for more specifics.

Idaho, cool :wink:
I think you need the 338RUM. I have got mine in the Sendero variety(which you cannot get anymore) It seems to have a liking for 250 grain partitions, I hope to use it one day on a big elk or brownie!
I did not need the 338RUM when I bought it either, already having a 340WBY which I really like. Did it stop me, heck no!!
Good luck on your hunt by the way, I usually hunt unit 36 for elk(when I don't draw) and 54 for Muleys. :grin:

340boy, I'm from Idaho Falls. I'll be hunting unit 69 for cow elk/muleys/bear. At least that's what I have tags for. I got my first cow elk last year using my 270WSM loaded with 160pt. Shot was about 75 yrds. Good luck this year with your hunts.

Cool!
Unit 69 is supposed to be good for elk, from what I hear. Again, good hunting, and let us know what rifle you decide to buy!

I would seriously consider a 300WSM due to the fact that you have a .338 bore! The extra weight that you save would come in handy. I have a Kimber 8400 and it is a pleasant rifle to shoot and carry. Just my 2 cents worth.

I also like the .338 WSM. A buddy of mine has killed several elk with his. He chose a Ruger M77 Mark II All-Wheather. I would definatly recomend stainless and synthetic if you plan to hunt in the rain.

Happy Hunting

Ensure the future of our sport, Take a child hunting!!!!! 8)

Sorry I hit the wrong buttons I ment 300WSM not 338WSM

Ensure the future of our sport, Take a child hunting!!!!! 8)

Go with the 338 RUM. This is a real powerhouse. Plenty of power for anything you would like to hunt. I have the 700 LSS and get sub .5 MOA.
I have taken elk, blk bear, wt deer, and mule deer with mine and all dropped in their tracks at the shot.

JD338

Since you already mentioned having a rifle in 338WM, why not fill out your battery with a really big bore rifle?

Richracer1, I agree with roysclockgun, fill out your arsenal with something truly different and large...I did, and went with the 375 RUM..what a truly powerhouse cartridge, and extremely accurate. 94gr of H4350 pushes a 260 AB at 3000, and turned a 3pt bull upside down...Only problem I have found with it is that the other fellows at the range tend to back off from their benches when I show up with that mini howitzer....

What is the MAJOR advadvantage of the 300 wsm over the 300wm.
I have a 243 wssm and a 243. The wssm is getting ready to become a boat anchor because of feeding problems.
I like the old statment, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Buy a 300 wm you can't beat the reliability and avaliability of the cartrige but the most important thing is, you don't have one yet.

old #7 did write : "Buy a 300 wm you can't beat the reliability and avaliability of the cartrige "

I totally agree with "old #7". There really is nothing new under the sun, when we talk about short magnum cartridges and super short mag cartridges. The issue of a short bolt throw is, in reality, a non-issue, because a short throw means nothing to a hunter, save for possibly how a shorter receiver will lighten the entire rifle a couple of ounces.
In terms of getting better groups or more effective hits, the short cartridges have yet to demonstrate any advantage over the older, longer magnums.
The world was turned upside down, upon the introduction of the Model 1898 Mauser, able to handle very high pressure loads. Since then, not much has come along to change things drastically, in terms of ballistics.
Within the .30cal. family of cartridges, one can find those that claim that they are much more effective than is the old realiable 300WM. In the field those advantages do not translate much in the way of measureable differences.....But then to go one step farther, the 30-06 is very hard to beat when one is looking for an all around great cartridge.

Well all, I bought a Remington 700 Thumbhole Laminate in 300 RUM. I'm going to load 180 AB and hope the gun likes these bullets. Stuck a Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5 - 16.5 X 44 w/ the Bullet Drop Compensating feature. This ought to be an awesome long range rifle.

Good luck in finding the right fodder that will get you that which you seek, using a 300RUM. I was not able to do that after trying with several hundred rounds and various combinations of load components. Hopefully, your mileage will be better than mine.

I guess you can never estimate(with total confidence) what an individual rifle will do. I bought a 300RUM LSS several years ago, and the very first handload I worked up from 85 grains of IMR7828 using a 200 grain Partition(settled on 87.0gr at 3100fps) using rem brass and fed 215 primers shoots consistent sub MOA at 100 yds. It is fact, the only handload I have tried in this rifle, although I am going to play with the 200 grain AccuBond and Retumbo this coming winter. :grin:

RR,

I would go for a better rifle or handgun rather than choosing a cartridge first. For example you can hunt anything in North America with a .30-'06, and that cartridge lets you choose from a flock of candidates.

You could motor over to visit Freedom Arms and choose one of their really neat six guns.

jim

Here are a couple of pics of the new toy.

100_0049.jpg

and

100_0050.jpg

Sweet!
Let us know how she shoots-I think you are going to like the 300RUM!
Give those 200 grain bullets a try, you might be impressed :grin:

Back