How could I pass up a Rem in 7m-08

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Never thought it would happen. I have a great fondness for the 7m-08 caliber. Have had it in a Thompson Encore and a Browning Stainless Stalker. Both were excellent in the accuracy dept but did not really ring my bell, so to speak. With another fondness for Sako rifles and Zeiss Conquest scopes I figured my rifle buying days, for myself, were about over. I have Sakos in 308 and 280 so what more do I really need for whitetail and an occaisional pronghorn hunt?

So the other day one of my best buddys decides he might sell a Rem CDL in 7m-08 (new this year), which had Leuplold base/rings and a Zeiss Conquest (from last year). Now I had just bought, from him, a Rem 270 Mtn Rifle for the son-in-law so was pretty tapped out. Plus the little woman has been extremely patient with my buying, trading etc... rifles over the last several years to get up to the 2 sakos (actually 5 sakos total plus a couple of Weatherbys - but I settled on the two I have now . . . plus one for each of my boys).

Anyway knowing I couldnt afford the Rem anyways I ask my buddy what he would sell it for. He says 500.00 for the rifle. I was just screwing around so I says . . . thats a bit high for that dont you think. After all you paid under 600.00 for it and you have put 40-50 bullets thru it. Hmmm...he says, smelling my weakness, how about 450.00? I said that that was a fair enuf price if a guy was really looking for a Remington. But being curious, cuz I knew my wife would kill me if I bought another rifle so soon, what would you take for the whole thing? You know your tears in the eyes, drop dead price. Hmmm he says, for you . . . . how about 700.00. 8) Cool I sez, let me think on that. Naw, I still can't afford it. I told the wife no more rifles and we just bought new furniture and I still got one in college and another on his way next year . . . I'll take it!

So the 7m-08 is a great shooter, after I did a trigger job on it. Loves 160 Accubonds and 140 Accubonds and another bullet that shall not be named in 120 grain with a bunch of H4350 in the pipe.

I am feeling very contented . . . for now. Problem is he just bought 2 new Rems. The Limited Edition in 30-06 (what a beautiful rifle) and a new CDL in 280. New in the box but a couple of years old. Both wearing Zeiss Conquests. I wonder how long he will hang on to these???????? :twisted:

Long

Long,

Sounds like you have a good buddy! :lol:

JD338

JD, He is one of the best. Good hearted guy and always in the mood for an adventure. He goes thru rifles and fishing poles like nobody I have ever seen. Always gotta try something new.

Caine, I sleep great because that 7m-08 is in my closet. :lol:

Long

Back