.257 Roberts

muzzleblast525

Beginner
Oct 15, 2005
Anybody shoot this cal, and if so, how do you like it? I'm thinking of having a Remington 700 LVSF in 7mm-08 rebarrelled in .257 Roberts. By the way, I've already got a custom gun in 7mm-08 and this is the reason I'm thinking of the 257 Roberts.

Thanks

I have a 700 Classic in 257 Bob, it is one fine shooter. 100 gr BT's will consistantly shoot in the .5's and the 115 gr BT's shoot in the .6-.7" range.
Recoil and report are both very mild.

JD338

I have a 257Bob in a Ruger M77 MkII.
Shoots 100 grain BTs and hornady 100grain soft points to right about 1inch at 100yds. Recoil is next to nothing. I use WW +p cases and IMR4350 and H4350, I can usually get around 3100fps from a 100 grain pill.

I also have a 700 Classic in the Bob. I push mine to +P velocity and I'm getting 3050 fps with the 115 Nosler B.T. using Reloder 22. This rifle isn't "mild" but it ain't any where near a 270 class in recoil and noise. This is a great rifle cartridge. To quote Townsend Whelen "the .257 Roberts is perhaps the most useful cartridge for hunting North America". My Bob is scheduled to be in the deer stand this Saturday at daybreak stoked with the 115 Nosler BT and topped with a Leupold 6x scope.

Bruce Mc

Good luck on your deer hunt. Post some pics if you can.
I am going to start working up a new load for my Bob featuring
the 110 gr AB.

JD338

muzzleblast525

i have a 257 bob in a ruger #1 and love it...shoots great and is my wife's deer rifle. shoots great for a stock rifle and a #1 to boot...consistently well below MOA. my handload of choice is a 117 sierra spbt over a healthy charge of H414.

Now to not start a fight with #1 owners...i'm not saying that the #1 is inaccurate but can be a little finicky with the way the forearm is hung...just have to play with it a little.

I took my brother-in-law out for mule deer this year and he dropped a big bodied one with it at 352 yards. he had a complete pass through with the animal standing slightly quartering away...entered right behind the left shoulder and exited through the right shoulder.

GREAT ROUND!!!

good luck

Brad

If you like the 7-08, instead of the 257 Roberts (which is a fine round, though I had mine rechambered into a 25-06) why not consider the 25 Souper (25-308) A modern version of the Roberts and I think a bit more case capacity

I have a 257 Roberts in a Ruger M77. It's a tack driver. I've shot the 117gr ballistic tips and 100 Partitions in it and they all shoot very well.
I have taken 4 or 5 deer with this gun and I've never chased one. But a well place shot helps! My hunting rilfe before the .257 was A remington M788 in .243. Took may deer with that rifle as well.

I have just ordered some AccuBond bullets in 110 grain but can't find any loading data on them. Where would I find this data?

Thanks.

PS this is my first post on this site.

Back