280 Ackley Improved barrel. Which manufacturer?

Nate

Beginner
Nov 11, 2006
I am going to have my M70 rebarreled to 280 Ackley since I can now get Nosler brass. I will be shooting 160 grain and possibly 175 grain bullets. I don't shoot competitively, but I want at least MOA. I prefer to have the barrel manufacturer do all of the fit and finish since there really aren't any gunsmith's near me that can do the work. I am considering Pac-Nor, Douglas, ER Shaw, and possibly Hart. Hart is starting to get out of my price range. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated--including proper twist rate for the heavier bullets.

Nate,

I have a 700 action that was blueprinted and had a Hart #5 countour 24" barrel installed, 280 AI. With the 160 gr AB, she shoots in the .2's.
Scope is a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14. I plan on adding a HS Precision stock next year.
700280AI2.jpg

280AI160grAB.jpg

JD338[/img]

You can't go wrong with any barrel maker you mentioned. My 280 Remington is an old Argentine Mauser Model 1909 with Douglas 1 in 9 tube on it. With a steady diet of 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at around 2900 fps, the rifle is very effective in dispatching anything that come my way. Accuracy wise!!!!!!!!!!! well, you be the judge.

IMGP0504.jpg

For the money, PacNor makes an exc. barrel. I had my first one put into a full, custom M70 in .280. My gunsmith had always used Douglas, but after getting 2 more PacNors for me, he has switched & uses PacNor unless a customer has a preference. They are accurate, smoothly finished inside & out & affordable.

I have a Springfield 03-A3 which was rebarreled with a Shilen #5 at 25".
160 gr accubonds with 57.5 grs of H414 are at +2950 fps. In three hunting seasons with that rifle, I have shot 2 antelope 3 whitetails and 1 cow elk. It groups under an inch when I do my part.

Just my 2 cents
Steve D. the HP

I appreciate your feedback. I talked to Rich at Pac Nor today. He is really pushing the 3 groove barrel. I don't know if I am sold on the idea. It makes sense for easier cleaning and easier production. What other benefits are there--for the shooter? I think I will go with the 1-9" twist whatever the groove/land configuration.

Back