Ruger M77 MKII

Cassity260

Beginner
Aug 27, 2006
Let me start off by saying I LOVE the way my Ruger M77 MKII All-Weather
in .260 rem shoots. I was lucky with the trigger, it is smooth with no
noticable creep. I'm able to shoot .6-1.1 with any of my handloads I have
tried so far. (not bad for a "bone stock" hunting rifle)

My problem is copper fouling, I'm getting tired of completly cleaning after
each 5 shot group, if I don't do this the groups start to look more like
patterns. Is this normal? I don't have this problem with my 1957 Winchester
Model 88 .308. Copper doesn't become a problem until about the 20th shot.

Is there anything I could do, other than Tubbs Final Finish? Does anyone
here have any experience with this form of fire lapping?

Thanks,
AC

Did you properly break the barrel in??? That usually helps some factory rifles smooth out. The tubbs final finish system is a good system from what I've heard/read. I have never used it though. My first 25-06 was an all weather MKII and it shot great w/trigger work. My handloads shot .5", Rugers aren't that bad of rifles.

I broke the barrel in as follows:

1 shot, clean (w/ BBS) for 5 shots
5 shot groups, clean, for 5 groups

But it seems that it still needs the cleaning after the 5th shot . I have
only put 300 rounds thru it...do you think it may still need more time?

Well it sounds like you broke the barrel in properly, so you just might have a problem w/ copper fouling. Some factory barrels are obviously a lot better then others, but then that still means there some bad ones out there. I would suggest teh tubbs final finish system. It should really help smooth out any rought spots it has. What kind of solvent are you using?? I use sweets and it seems to work great for removing copper.

What bullets are you shooting? If you're only shooting one kind, and getting fouling, have you considered a different bullet? Maybe your gun just doesn't like what you're feeding it right now? Longshot, for sure, but might be worth considering.

I use Butch's Bore Shine to clean with, and have used mostly Hornady bullets
(because of price) at the range. I have shot just enough 120 gr. BT's to work up a load
and place one shot in a 8 point's neck @ 80 yards, off-hand shot in timber.

Well, it sounds like you are trying more than one bullet. Do the BT's foul as bad as the Hornady's? Also, are you at max load, or max plus a fudge factor, or below max charge? Hyper-velocity can have an affect on fouling, or so I am told. Curious. Of course, it could just need a good lapping. Can't hurt to try the Tubbs. But maybe letting a gunsmith look at it first might be wise? I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good barrel over something simple that he might see or know to do.

Because it is primarily a hunting rifle, my loads are near max, 41 gr. Varget
with V-Max seems to give the best accuracy, 46.3 gr. H4350 with the 120 BT
and 46 gr. R-19 with 129 SP. With these and my 22" barrel, shooting thru my
Chrony, my loads are on average 100 fps slower than most reloading
material say it will be. That almost makes sense, 50 fps/in, I've read 20-40
fps/in is to be expected.

I have a great smith here in Olathe, I will take it to him...I'll be broke when I
return, but he will probably be able to help. Tubbs isn't my first choice, I was
just wondering if anyone here had ever used it?

I would start with just letting the smith take a look at the barrel, and see if he sees anything, or if he might know why you are getting such fouling issues. Pay for an hour of his time, and you won't be broke, and he won't be pissed. If he can fix it, and for a reasonable price, then go for it. But if you can fix it, and for a lot less, maybe that's the way to go. But I would get the 'opinion' first. Shouldn't break the bank for an opinion.

Back