gun break in ; gun cleaning

flyfish

Beginner
Nov 6, 2006
I've only owned two rifles in my life. One I bought when I didn't know my A** from my elbow and the other was used. So this barrel break-in is new to me. How do you break a barrel in properly and what happens if you don't?

I use Hoppes products to clean my barrels. They have one for removing copper fouling. Is there a better choice out there? If so what makes it better.

Thanks

You'll get lots of diff. opinions on bbl. break in as well as cleaning. I have started doing bbl. break in the last 8-10 years. There are diff. methods but:
clean the new bbl. thoroughly
fire one shot & patch clean, do this for 10 shots. I am often getting a scope sighted in so the shots aren't really wasted.
Clean thoroughly after ten shots & fire 3 shot groups cleaning between groups for another 12 shots. Then clean after ever 40-50shots.
The idea is it helps smooth any machine marks out w/o laying down a copper layer in the bbl. Lapped bbls. probably don't need it, but it doesn't hurt a factory bbl. & you are sighting in anyway.
I use Hoppes Benchrest a lot but am moving to the newer foam bore cleaners. They seem to get more of the copper fouling out. Use a good one piece, coated rod & a bore guide. Clean from the chamber end whenever possible.

Yup. Even the hand-lapped barrels can use a break-in, because of the machine marks made during chambering (which is done after the lapping).

Those machine marks can lead to copper jacket fouling. Get rid of the fouling, and accuracy stays good longer, through much longer strings of fire.

I've had factory barrels that fouled so badly that accuracy deteriorated quickly after 15 - 20 shots. My match rifle barrels produce solid sub MOA accuracy at 600 yards, after 50 - 100 rounds (or more) have gone downrange. Quality barrels, broken in properly provide a lot of satisfaction.

Regards, Guy

Back