My Long Ranger, has a New Dress!

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

I've had a Rem 700 MLR in .338 Lap Mag for a few years now, and after bedding the action into the factory HS Precision stock I got some great groups (even with hunting bullets)!
A mate of mine has his own machine shop http://www.gcpdarms.com and has been making Light Weight chassis stocks, for in particular the Tikka T3 rifles, as they are very popular down here (and he sells every stock he makes).
Anyway, I finally talked him into making another version of the same chassis stock but for the long action Rem 700, and here are some images, of the end product etc.

DSCN1674.JPG

The action area.
DSCN1677.JPG

The fully adjustable butt stock.
DSCN1679.JPG

A bit off the subject but the lapped Nightforce 34mm rings.
DSCN1684.JPG

A day at the range (over the weekend).
DSCN1713.JPG

And a 3 shot 100 meter group and then one more shot, after I adjusted the bullet impact a bit to the left. This was with Moly coated Woodleigh 250grn PP-SN hunting bullets, and New Lapua cases.
After I realised how good it was shooting, I stopped wasting Powder (98.0 grains), Bullets and Barrel life, fire forming these new cases.
DSCN1716.JPG

This was after the stock standard Rem factory barreled action, was bolted into the chassis stock, no epoxy bedding or anything else has been done to the factory barreled action.
The bedding area of the stock, has a deliberate V-Block type bedding arrangement, and it seems to work pretty good.

Regards
Homer

Most interesting, Homer. That does look to be a shooter. My sole experience with a Remington manufactured 338 Lapua was positive. Of course, it looked nothing like what you now have. However, it shot quite well.

That buttstock appears to be very comfortable and to have quite a bit of adjustment.

Good shooting rifle for sure! Factory barrel too eh? Cool.

Guy

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for all your kind comments, GCPD Arms would pleased to hear this!
Yes the stock/rifle was a pleasure to use.
The design and ergonomics of the stock and the 4 port M/brake all help to contributed to this.

Here are some additional images;

This image is of the versatile Inside/Outside the trigger guard, magazine release.
DSCN1708.JPG

This image is of the Accurate Magazine brand mag, and as you can see, it is a 3.850" length.
DSCN1700.JPG
And here is a Woodleigh bullets VLD bullet seated to 0.020" off the lands, loaded in the mag.
DSCN1705.JPG
This same cartridge, has a loaded overall length of 3.640" so there is over 0.200 thou to spare, in the magazine.
DSCN1707.JPG

Here it is in it's Plano 54" hard case.
Whilst I do have Pelican cases, they are larger and heavier and this Plano is plenty good enough for my needs!
DSCN1698.JPG

Also, all the operations and functions of the new stock (Dress), including magazine insertion and feeding, were without fault!

Doh!
Homer

That is a nice stock. Looks very well thought out. Great groups too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'Day Fella's,

Cleaveland48, Thank You for your kind words!

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You bbearhntr, I know GCPD Arms would appreciate this.

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

When I first purchased the Nightforce scope for this rifle, I also got their Medium rings and and an ADI (Angle Degree Indicator), as well.
When I first installed the scope, all was good but when I tried to install the ADI, I found that it interfered on, or contacted the scope's 34mm tube.
For those not familiar with an ADI, they allow you to get a reasonably good indication, of what the Angle Up Hill or Down Hill is, that you are shooting at.
From this, you can calculate what the actual Horizontal Distance, to your target is (at Long and Very Long range).
Here is a better view of one, than that in my below image http://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-adi.aspx .

My first thought was, I need to get a set of High rings.... that will fix it!
But then, I had a sit and think ..... and a measure, then worked out how much material I would have to remove from the ADI mount, to clear the scope tube.
Finally after months (and now with the new stock in place), yesterday I set the ADI mount up in the milling machine and removed about 1.5mm/0.060" off the top inside edge (with a Fly Cutter, set at 17mm Radius).

And here is the end result, in situation.
DSCN1719.JPG
DSCN1720.JPG

Regards
Homer

Now that's a nice piece of metal work, and the ergonomics along with it Homer! Glad you figured out just how to save yourself the $$$ on a new set of rings too, Looks great!

So those Brass VLD's, I've never cared for them in my barrels simply because they seemed to leave a lot of fouling behind. Have you used them much, and do they take forever to remove the fouling for you?

Even the Moly I found was just another item to deal with, and didn't care for that either..... I don't mean to rain on your parade so to speak Homer, so please don't take offence to my opinions. I just found those two left me wishing I never heard about them and/or used them in my rifles.

I really like the inside and outside mag box release used in your friends stock design... he should do very well selling those stock even more now that he's made them for the millions of 700 actions floating around out there!

G'Day Fella's,

Wincheringen, Thank You for your kind comments. Yes I like my Leica's as well.

Longrangehunter, Thank You also for your kind comments!
I have also had varying degrees of success with (in this case) Woodleigh VLD machined Brass bullets as well.
I have tried Moly and HBN coating them but also experience lots of fouling and not very impressive accuracy.....
Yes me to (Mag release), and the more I use this stock, the more I like using it as well.

Elkman, Thank You too, for your kind comments!

Merry Christmas to You and Yours.
Regards Homer

G'Day Fella's,

I have been looking for an appropriate bi-pod for this same rifle, for some time now.
I was over at at mates place (the manufacturer of this rifles chassis stock), and seen the http://www.accu-tac.com bi-pod he had.
I was so impressed with both the design and manufacture of this bi-pod, I knew I finally found what I was lookin for.

Please find some images of this LR-10 QD model bi-pod, in place on my .338 Lap Mag rifle.
DSCN1843.JPG
DSCN1844.JPG
DSCN1846.JPG

Avagreatweekend eh!
Homer

Homer that is a great looking outfit. I have an acquaintance with a LR 50 cal that weighs over 30 lbs.and he is looking for a bi-pod, do you think this would meet his needs?

The accutac definitely seem very solidly built. I have a atalas and have been very happy with it. I'm sure your accutac will serve you well.

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for the kind comments.
Elkman, I cant see why not but I would get your mate to contact Accu-Tac, and ask them about his situation.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Back