New Coyote rifle for the snowsled!

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Came by a very unusual gun to try while out calling coyotes for this season, on the Skandiks.
A pretty rare gun nowadays, the old Winchester Model 100, two rare features it's a .243 and a 19" Carbine!! :wink:
Looks ALOT like this one! Guess you could say "Santa brought it" Now if it will just shoot the 70gr Varmigettons?
wm_9448607.jpg

The 100 was a neat looking gun since it had a full wood stock unlike the 2 piece stock of the Remington's. They didn't last long just like the lever model that was it's twin. May have been they were too expensive to make. They also made a .22lr copy of both and I had one that was recalled because it would go full auto. It was very accurate before I sent it in but when it came back it shot all over the place so I sold it. Uncle Sam didn't like you to have a unregistered .22lr machine gun :mrgreen:

That should be a most interesting rifle, Earle, if only because it is ignored by so many when they are found. I believe I'd grab it had I seen it. Should serve you well.

No Winchester collection is complete with out one . Most people pass them by because of the price.

We see a number of Winchester Model 100's at the shows here in Canada, but you don't see the carbines very often. Mostly in the 308 and 243, with the odd 284 thrown in (2 this past year). Not sure if they made it in the 358 as well, if so, I have never seen one.

I've always been more interested in the Model 88.

Should be a handy rifle!

Earle,

Congratulations on the Winchester M100 in 243 Win. That should make for a great coyote rifle.

JD338

Should be interesting to try it on Coyotes that have been called in and then missed? I seen lots of times when they will run down a woods road for a ways before exiting into the woods, leaving you time for follow up shots..... I am a firm believer of making the first shot you best shot, but.....

The model 100 is a great rifle (y) growing up the man that spent time teaching me how to hunt & shoot had the model 100 in both the 243 & 308 they are great rifles.
Enjoy it :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

4 for 6 is damn good percentage. I think I'd rather have an AR15 though. Maybe one in 17 rem or 204 for a dedicated coyote rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those little Mod 100 carbines are nifty as heck! I saw my first one at the Rod & Gun club ib 1972, Reese Kasern, Augsburg, GE. It was in 308 and had a $300 price tag on it! I was only 19 then and my West pointer Captain refused to sign for me as he didn't want the hassle of extra paperwork from having to keep it in the armory until I Derosed. In some ways, he was a fine Officer...and in some ways a total "male appendage! ha. A few years ago I bought a local Mod 100 in 243 rifle, and it shot about 1.5" with factory loads, bith 80gr and 100gr. I just "had" to have it bedded and tricked out to 'accurize it". I got all the dope off the Net, took it and the rifle to my smith who is really great. Afterward, the 100gr opened up to 2.5-3" and the 80gr shot right at .5"!.....only problem, it would cycle, it became a single shot...don't ask me how....it got sold. Oh well, I would still like to have one of the carbines in 308 though. Don't know what I'd do with it!

Well we will see, I had a model 100 rifle in .284W back in the 70's for a couple of seasons, my uncle had one in a carbine. Neither one would feed correctly with all loads, lots of guys used Model 88 clips as they didn't hold the bolt
Open after last shot....
I traded mine for a new BAR in .,270 and never looked back!!

Update: This is NOT going to work! This gun is just to valuable to Collectors to trash it out on the snowmoble !!
Going to have to think up a cheaper alternative. This is bound to be a safe queen!

35 Whelen":1369hg0j said:
Update: This is NOT going to work! This gun is just to valuable to Collectors to trash it out on the snowmoble !!
Going to have to think up a cheaper alternative. This is bound to be a safe queen!

Get yourself an AR with a 7 twist barrel. Load up some 65-77 grain Bullets and you'll be in business buddy. Cheap now as well.

Good thinking!
But this is how we ended up..........
100710772_23034_2577B433B4EE8F99.jpg

Attachments

• 20170112_091039_Burst01.jpg
    20170112_091039_Burst01.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,842
Back