Need to find a 35 Whelen AI Smith

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
So...I was trying to line out everything with my guy to get my M70 turned into another 35 WAI, but have run into a snag. He is pretty much retired, and getting this rifle to him has turned out to be a huge PITA, and he isn't really up for that. He was really just doing it as a favor for me, but it has turned into too much trouble.

I was getting ready to order the profiled barrel from IT&D, but now I am kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on that just yet.

I am hoping I can get the reamer from him (buy or rent), but that still leaves a huge hole in my plan...who to have do the work? I would like to keep cost down, but I don't want any shortcuts taken either. This is one of those rifles I plan to give to one of my kids some day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

If worse comes to worse you can send the action to PacNor and they will install one of their barrels on your action using one of their match barrels for around $600 and is what I was looking at doing with mine before I got the 338 Win. There are several guys here who have their barels and are very happy with them. 35 Whelen/AI is one of the cartridges they chamber for.

Talk to Rob Canze at Williams Gun Sight in Davison, MI. 810 653 2131
Rob built my 280AI and understands what it takes to properly do an AI chamber.

JD338

My gunsmith here is Ray Federico ( NightOwls Gunsmithing) he lives in Taylorsville, Utah. He has made several Ackley Improveds for me, including my last 35 Whelen AI. He has the reamer.

A general location of where abouts your at in N/A you are would help determine where a qualified smith that could help would be.
I've seen some work from Williams Gunsights, and stunning is a word that comes to mind.
That being said researching which smiths like working on the Mauser action is likley a tad smaller then guys customizing Rem700 actions. So do you homework.
You can order your own reamer from Pacific Tool and Die. And if you know what bullet you wanna shoot can have the throat reamed for a specific OAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5shot":xlv24sv8 said:
So...I was trying to line out everything with my guy to get my M70 turned into another 35 WAI, but have run into a snag. He is pretty much retired, and getting this rifle to him has turned out to be a huge PITA, and he isn't really up for that. He was really just doing it as a favor for me, but it has turned into too much trouble.

I was getting ready to order the profiled barrel from IT&D, but now I am kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on that just yet.

I am hoping I can get the reamer from him (buy or rent), but that still leaves a huge hole in my plan...who to have do the work? I would like to keep cost down, but I don't want any shortcuts taken either. This is one of those rifles I plan to give to one of my kids some day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

This is close to you and they chamber for 35 WhelenAI

http://pac-nor.com/wildcat/
John

You might give Shawn Thomason a call. He's about 3 hrs south of you (in Craigmont ID) and is known for doing very good work. (He's the smith who's name always comes up when talking with shooters and gun gurus down here...) His turnaround times are generally slow, but he's good. 5 minutes on the phone with him will let you know if he has time, and if not, he might give you a good alternate suggestion. His # is 208-924-5335 (call after 4 pm and before 6 pm).

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I do believe my search is over (and it didn't take near as long as I thought it would). I put the same question out to a guy who does some amazing work, hoping for a referral. Instead, I got an email this morning and he offered to take the job. I was a bit surprised, and now I am really excited. We have had a few pleasant emails in regards to other topics, and he is a really nice guy to talk with. I don't know that he'd call me a friend, but he definitely has helped me out more than necessary. Straight to the point, and doesn't mince words. I have a lot of confidence in his work.

http://www.customgunandrifle.com/

5shot":xx9l2ue0 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I do believe my search is over (and it didn't take near as long as I thought it would). I put the same question out to a guy who does some amazing work, hoping for a referral. Instead, I got an email this morning and he offered to take the job. I was a bit surprised, and now I am really excited. We have had a few pleasant emails in regards to other topics, and he is a really nice guy to talk with. I don't know that he'd call me a friend, but he definitely has helped me out more than necessary. Straight to the point, and doesn't mince words. I have a lot of confidence in his work.

http://www.customgunandrifle.com/

His stuff is amazing! Glad you got it sorted out. I have no doubt you'll be happy with his work..

I was shocked to say the least. Most smiths with his portfolio only take full custom builds.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5shot":3svohujg said:
I was shocked to say the least. Most smiths with his portfolio only take full custom builds.

Just five minutes looking thru his stuff could have a guy salivating..

Look at all the customer photos of his guns over in Africa.

He certainly has earned a good reputation. His workmanship appears to be superb. Then, he is close by, which makes it good for you.

DrMike":2eh40n4d said:
He certainly has earned a good reputation. His workmanship appears to be superb. Then, he is close by, which makes it good for you.

Definitely

5shot":vvwy9c1o said:
Look at all the customer photos of his guns over in Africa.

I can't, I'll short circuit my computer with the drool.. :?

I really like the open grip at the wrist and the overall shape of the British Stalking rifle designs...great work. I've read about this Gent for years...good reputation. You did good 5shot!

preacher":uz86syre said:
I really like the open grip at the wrist and the overall shape of the British Stalking rifle designs...great work. I've read about this Gent for years...good reputation. You did good 5shot!

His stuff is amazing Jim. One of the craftsman out there.

Thanks to Preacher I was able to try a 310 Woodleigh in my current rifle. To my surprise is easily chambered, even with the really short throat that it has. The 250 NPT takes a considerably longer throat. The 310 is on par with the 225 AB for throat length.

Back