Flaig's Rifles

kimbroughr

Beginner
Mar 23, 2007
My topic is about "Flaig's" guns.

I have read all the posts on other forums about the Gunsmith - Charley Flaig - (his history, affiliations, etc.) the location of his shop (old German-style lodge / gunsmith shop, etc.) in PA. The custom work he did, etc. It was apparently Disneyland for gun-nuts.

Does anyone have any history or references regarding number of guns he made (sporterized), serial numbers, anything?

I'm currently looking at a nice 7x57 Mauser (marked "Flaig's Ace") in a local store. It's a chain store, so the price is probably a little high - not "NO WAY" high, just a little. Has a 4 digit SN. It's stocked with what looks to be a nice piece of maple (maybe - stained dark, need to take the action out of the stock to see if any bare/unstained wood is visible, it also has some nice contours - definitely a custom job. The action is a commercial 98 Mauser (maybe an FN). The bolt handle is checkered. He used Douglas barrels (according to other forums). The action has a unique safety - swings up and down on the left, but doesn't interfere with the scope. Speaking of the scope, it has a vintage Weaver V8 with external (mount) adjustments.

This gun has some age on it (50's? - maybe), but looks to have been taken care of.

So what do you think? Go for it? Have a soft spot for Mauser's and the 7x57.

The important question is; Would you be happy with that rifle, at that price? If yes, buy it! And enjoy!

Sorry, I cannot speak as to the rifle maker or Mauser actions, as I have no experience with either. More of a lever action and left handed bolt action fan (hence my affinity to Remington, Browning and Ruger rifles)

Flaig's was THE mail-order place in the mid 60's. I still have one of those 7mm barrels, an "Ace" trigger shoe, and several other little items. They advertised regularly in the American Rifleman. That barrel, and I think it is Douglas manufacture, still shoots very well.
EE2

I found one by complete accedent. ..bought a 7x57 for donner action
Found how how great the lil bugger shot. ..wonderd why& pulled the stock...
Only to find all the flaig ace markings. ..ended up building a lightweight gun for my
Middle daughter ..fits her great ..low recoil absolutely loves 140 Partition & imr4350..

Flaigs was a top level gunsmithing shop in one of the Pittsburgh, PA suburbs. I have posted copy of their catalog that I got in 1973. The prologue in the catalog talks about 40 years of service to sportsman. I do know that they were there prior to WWII as my grandfather would take me there to see the Ferlachs and the Merkels. They were the importer for Ferlach guns and high grade Circassian walnut and many other types. I have a high grade Circassian walnut blank that I bought from them. In the late 70’s, I was attending the Pennsylvania Gunsmith School (PGS) in Pittsburgh and Flaigs was still operating. Their work was the best that you could get in our area and was certainly out of reach for me. Many of the stock blanks and Douglas barrels that we used in PGS came from Flaigs. They also sold FN 400 Supreme, Sako, Mark X and 1909 Mauser actions. They were THE source in the area for gun parts at the time.
Their custom rifles reflected the popular styles of the period and were produced by Master Gunsmiths. One of their competitors was Paul Jaeger who was at the other end of PA. Both shops employed German schooled gunsmiths.
Please post a picture of the rifle that you are considering. If that rifle is built on an FN 400, in my opinion, it should be worth as much or more than a Belgium Browning Safari Grade rifle. If it is in good shape, it would be a nice find.scan0070.jpg

Attachments

• scan0071.jpg
    scan0071.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,474
  • scan0072.jpg
    scan0072.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 1,474
My uncle used to send bolts into them in the 1960's to have them "jeweled"
I think the price was $ 10 bucks ! They did good work. Flaigs and Herters catalogs got
pretty darn dog eared around our place in those days!

Back